Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

What's on order?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 3:42:55 PM PDT
I've been a member of BMG for at least 10 years, I think. I long ago signed off on receiving the monthly selection automatically, and instead, just order what I want, when I want. I may go most of a year without ordering anything, and just a month ago, I ordered the complete Jacqueline Du Pre box set for very few dollars. Unfortunately, the disc with the famous Elgar concerto does NOT have the Sea Songs with Janet Baker. But at least Du Pre's output is in a convenient box, with remastered recordings for a buck or two per disc through BMG. Every so often, there is something worth ordering if you just search through ALL the new listings, which can be up to ten pages. It is hit or miss...my experience is that you can add some great stuff to your collection if you are patient.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 3:54:31 PM PDT
Dmitri says:
James

I started a thread on the BMG club and asked what was good there. No one replied and the thread died : (

Fred

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 4:14:33 PM PDT
Hi Dmitri (Fred):

I agree with the poster who suggested it would appeal more to a new collector rather than one who has thousands of cds. I think their quality, or should I say diversity of selections has waned in recent years. Too much pop/classical works...you know...compilations and such crap. The other thing I have noticed, is that they may offer something like Messiaen's Quartet for the end of time, or a recently released Bruckner symphony, or even a modern compostion. and it would be available for just so long, and then it's gone, and not available through BMG. That's frustrating when you go to order it, and it's no longer there. I'm sure it must be a licensing thing. Too Bad. Over the years, I have managed to get "the good stuff" from time to time, and often at a super good discount too. I am thankful for all the "good stuff" I have purchased over the years, but like I said at the beginning, the diversity is waning.

Jim

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008 6:00:10 PM PDT
Tero says:
I managed for a year on the BMG club. Most of what I got was popular. Some classical thrown in.

Nothing on order now. Last CD was Richard Thompson, folkie, first solo CD. Used, 12 bucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 1:40:42 AM PDT
Dmitri says:
I'm ordering Classical CDs like they are going out of style. Everything that I have on order is deeply discounted. I am trying to watch my budget.

Berkshire Record Outlet - www2.broinc.com

1. Stravinsky - Petroucka, Apollo, etc. - Jarvi

2. Mozart - Requiem - Fruhbeck de Burgos

3. Barber - Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto, Piano Concerto - Stern, Ma, Browning

4. Poulenc - Piano Concerto, Harpsichord Concerto, Organ Concerto - Hickox

5. Handel - Messiah - Davis

6.Schumann - Symphonies 1 & 4 - Zinman

7. Shostakovich - Entr'actes from Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk - Arabesque

8. Schumann - Symphonies 2 & 3 - Zinman

9. Brahms Piano Concerto #1 - Gutierrez

10. Brahms Symphony No.4 - Previn

11. Brahms Piano Concerto #2 - Gutierrez

12. Dvorak Symphonies 5, 7, 8, and 9 - Jansons

13. Brahms Violin Concerto, Mendelssohn Violin Concerto - Xie-Wei

14. Shchedrin Concerto, Stravinsky Violin Concerto etc. Vengerov

15. Beethoven Violin Concerto, Romances #1 & 2. - Mutter

MDT - www.mdt.co.uk

1. Sibelius Symphonies Complete - Segerstam

2. Bartok Piano Concertos Complete - Andras Schiff

3. Rachmaninoff - Piano Concertos, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - Rudy

4. Tchaikovsky Symphonies Complete - Muti

5. Beethoven Piano Sonatas Complete - Pommier

6. Beethoven String Quartets Complete - Vermeer Quartet

7. Beethoven Symphonies Complete - Barenboim

8. Brahms Symphonies Complete - Barenboim

Tower - www.tower.com

1. Sibelius Violin Concerto, Nielsen Violin Concerto - Lin

2. Borodin Symphonies Complete -Rozhdestvensky

3. Mozart Piano Concertos Complete - Han

I haven't included prices, but all three of these orders together come to about $350.00.

Lots of listening:-)

Fred

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 10:23:14 AM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Schubert "Schoene Muellerin" -- Christoph Pregardien, tenor, and his genius pianist Michael Gees From Elusive Disc in Indiana, who sent a spam flyer that luckily I read, because I didn't know about this new CD.

Michael Gees is a guarantor of quality, one of the best since Gerald Moore. Like Jeremy Denk, who partners Joshua Bell, Gees is an accompanist I'll buy for his own sake. I go to Bell's recitals just to see Jeremy Denk and hope they'll record Saint-Saens first sonata, which I've seen them play twice, with runaway octave finale. Gees also writes beautiful songs, two of which he and Pregardien include on a program of masters among whom Gees belongs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 10:27:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2008 10:30:44 AM PDT
Fred,

I love Berkshire. I've probably acquired more than half of my 1,000 CDs from them in the past 8 years.

I'm not familiar with MDT. Looks like more sets of stuff.

Right now I only have I CD on order...Schubert's Rosemunde w/von Otter on DG

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 11:27:28 AM PDT
Just received today the Emerson's "Art of Fugue", and Hilary Hahn's Schoenberg & Sibelius VCs. Currantly am listening to the former, and find myself 'rocking' in my chair to the rhythm of the piece (involuntarily). Hahn simply put, has the nicest tone on her violin, the Schoenberg was new to me, so I am going to have several re-listens as I get familiar with it. The disc is sonically and technically very "present" and has the effect of being in the room. Wide dynamic range, too. Great engineering! Great performance from the orchestra too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 7:32:45 AM PDT
K. Bowersock says:
On the way -- Pollini's recording of the Chopin Nocturnes. Can he match Rubinstein, Arrau? We shall see.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 8:02:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2008 8:30:27 AM PDT
S. Stout says:
Right now, I am waiting for a big order to arrive in the mail. Here's what's coming:

Marriner - Mozart, Requiem
Davis - Elgar, Sym. 1
Pletnev - Taneyev, Chamber Music
Kremer - Bach, Sonatas & Partitas for Violin Solo
Alagna & Gheorghiu - Bizet, Carmen
Uchida - Mozart, The Piano Sonatas
Bernstein - Ives, Sym. 2
Argerich - Porkofiev, Piano Concertos 1 & 3, Bartok, Piano Concerto 3
Zimerman - Ravel, The Piano Concertos
Hunt Lieberson - Bach, Cantanas 82 & 140
Rostropovich - Schubert, String Quintet
Bernstein - Haydn Collectors Edition
Gergiev - Prokofiev, The Complete Symphonies

Lots to listen to! I am hoping everything arrives about the time I get back from vacation next week.

I have ordered quite a bit through BMG. I find the site a bit difficult to navigate at times, but if you are willing to hunt for titles, willing to put them in your cart and then wait for a deal (free shipping +65% off comes around about every two months or so), you can pick up most titles for about $6. I also order from Amazon, use every Barnes and Noble discount I get, and have just discovered Berkshire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 8:19:56 AM PDT
Dmitri says:
S. Stout

Seems like a very well thought out order. Not at all like my madcap bunch that I am going to receive. I have heard only two of your items though. The Argerich Prokofiev Piano Concertos 1 & 3 with the Bartok Piano Concerto No.3. And the Prokofiev Symphonies with Gergiev. It's been a long time since I've listened to the Argerich, by the Prokofiev symphonies with Gergiev are worth every penny.

Fred

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 8:29:55 AM PDT
S. Stout says:
Fred -- I have been eyeing your list, and it does look like a fun bunch of music! I own the Davis Messiah and it is a good one. I don't think I have anything else you have listed, so I will be curious what you think. I have all the Beethoven String Quartets, but I have the version by the Takacs. They are among my very favorite pieces.

I am glad to hear about the Prokofiev. That is one of the things I am most looking forward to getting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 8:30:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2008 8:30:47 AM PDT
Dvorák: Cello Concerto; Tchaikovsky / Karajan, Rostropovich,

The Very Best of Beverly Sills

Mozart: Great Mass in C minor /McNair * Montague * Rolfe Johnson * Hauptmann * English Baroque Soloists * Gardiner

Mozart: The Flute Quartets, K. 285 K. 285a K. 285b 298 / Rampal Stern Accardo

Franck: Symphony in D Minor; Igor Stravinsky; PĂ©trouchka [Hybrid SACD...

Bizet: Les PĂŞcheurs de Perles (The Pearl Fishers) / Hendricks, Aler, Quilico..

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 7:33:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2008 11:42:25 AM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Complete Janacek piano music, Austbo, because I, who am no Janacek fan, heard a beautiful piece called "Presentimente" by him, played by Jamie Shaak, one of the best resident pianists in Chicago, on her recent recital at Fourth Presbyterian. She also played a gorgeous Medtner Fairy Tale in E-flat I didnt know. Then she and violinist played Brahms's "Regen-Sonate". Very Heaven or as close as Presbyterians can get (I'm neither P. nor in Heaven, yet), and won't be until next time I hear Regensonate.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 1:28:06 PM PDT
Thomas E. says:
Piso: I have that complete Janacek by Austbř, and love it! Mysterious, attractive music resemblant of secret forests and uncertain moods. The "On an overgrown path"-pieces are especially fine. Austbř has also released complete sets of the piano music of Debussy (Simax) and Messiaen (Naxos), and he's recorded most of Grieg's piano music as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2008 2:17:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2008 7:01:34 AM PDT
Edgar Self says:
T. Ertresvg in Oslo 6/9 128PM. Thanks for encouraging report on Austbo's complete piano music of Janacek that I've ordered, very cheap, and now look forward to even more. I've been told Austbo's Scriabin sonatas are good also but have too many complete sets already (Zhukov, Hamelin, Szidon, Ashkenazy, those Horowitz and Richter did, and Sofronitsky almost complete.) Do you also know Austbo's Scriabin? Comment? He's Norwegian, isn't he?

Rudolf Firkusny was Czech and played lots of Janacek, but I don't seem to have it. Saw him play an astounding short encore no-one knew or could identify then or now ... he simply wiped the keys up and down, with what appeared to be palms of both hands in opposite directions like glissandi. Does that sound like any piece you or anyone knows?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2008 1:08:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2008 1:10:00 AM PDT
Dmitri says:
George W. Bush loves me and gave me a grant to obtain more classical CDs. It's a little less than what amounts to $600.00.
What's that? You got one too? Everybody got one? And I thought "W" and I had a special relationship. After all he is a Harvard grad and not too long ago Harvard University had a Shostakovich orgy on their local radio station playing non-stop Shosty for three days.

I'm just in thinking stages, but I'm considering a Shostakovich Cello CD from Bulgaria, also two more rather expensive Shostakovich Cello Concerto CDs via Britain, and a LPO label set that is on sale at HBdirect that has the only Shostakovich 14th symphony that I DON'T have. How much money did I say I have again?

Fred

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 2:41:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2008 2:43:12 PM PDT
I've been on a buying hiatus lately, but reading this forum inspired me (for better or worse) to place my first major order in a couple of months. On their way from HMV Japan:

-Schubert: Symphonies, with Suitner and Staatskapelle Dresden (Denon)
-Sibelius: Symphonies, with Akeo Watanabe and the Japan Symphony Orchestra (Denon)
-Bach: Goldberg Variations, with Gavrilov (DG)
-Paganini: 24 Caprices, with Shlomo Mintz (DG)
-Shostakovich: Symphony #4, with Inbal and the Vienna Symphony (Denon) - which now completes this cycle for me
-Couperin: Concerts Royaux, with the Smithsonian Chamber Players (Deutsche HM)
-Weber, Schumann, Saint Saens: works for horn and orchestra, with Zdenek Tyslar (Supraphon)
-Takemitsu: November Steps, Visions, Requiem for strings, with Hiroshi Wakasugi (Denon)
-Guitar music of Takemitsu and Brouwer with Shin-Ichi Fukuda (Denon)

Now I have the urge to place another order from Berkshire! I suppose I should wait...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 3:54:36 PM PDT
New things I have overlooked and have ordered, mostly from HM and mostly piano this time:

- Thierry Pécou : « L'Oiseau innumérable », with Alexandre Tharaud, piano and Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Andrea Quinn, dir. (HM) - Every one of Tharaud's recordings have been brilliant, cannot wait for this one!! (Buy his recording of Chopin Préludes if you are missing it!)
- Schubert : « Divertissements ŕ la hongroise » by Tharaud with Zhu Xiao-Mei (piano), (HM), from 2003, I don't know how I missed it.
- Bach: « Art of the Fugue » played by Pierre-Laurent Aimard (DG), - should be wonderful
- Raymond Trouard: « Une Vie Pour le Piano » (Sony) - Liszt, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Ravel - one of the overlooked XXth century greats
- Mendelssohn : Solo piano works, by Bertrand Chamayou (HM) - I heard him play these in concert and was knocked-out! A great career is ahead for him.
- « Crystal Tears », by Andreas Scholl - lots of ancient English tunes
- Martinu : « Concerto pour violon et orchestre n°2 », also includes his « Serenáda no.2 pour cordes H.216 » and « Toccata e due canzoni H.311 pour cordes et piano obligé », with Isabelle Faust, vl., Cédric Tiberghien, piano & The Prague Philharmonia, Jiří Bělohlávek, dir. (HM) - look forward to this!
- Robert de Visée : « Suites de guitare », played by Rafael Andia, guit. baroq. - XVIIth century baroque guitar (reissue HM)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 4:07:24 PM PDT
snakelavie says:
9-disc set of pianist Vladimir Sofronitsky on Brilliant Classics. Contains Skriabin's Polonaise among innumerable other things. Ordered from HMV Japan. Usually dispatched in 24 hours, they said. We'll see how long it takes to arrive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 4:54:43 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Snake, HMV-Japan Sofronitsky/Brilliant box, must be from Denon originals, good sound. USPS handed Igor Zhukov's Tchaikovsky concerti to me 3 days after shiopment. He plays Scrabin polonaise best of anyone I know, awkward octave trills. This is the one Igor Zhukov told me about, a great concert polonaise maybe inspired by Chopin's F#-minor Op. 44 (Horowitz! 1965 TV, accept no substitute, double/triple trills, upward octaves skittering inches ABOVE keys as Volodya casually shakes them out of sleeve.).

A whole rare polonaise pogrom-program could be Chopin's F#-minor Op. 44 and his C-minor and Eb minor that tear me up; Godowsky's that nobody knows; Scriabin's Op. 21 nailed by Sofronitsky, Igor Zhukov (twice, he likes to nail), and Halina Dinova, Rustem Hayroudinoff's good-looking sister; Anton Rubinstein's Eb-minor on one of Leo Sirota's recitals, ignored by reviewers but world-premie,r it's Rubinstein's last piece, dedicated to his student Josef Hofmann, who never played it); Tchaikovsky's Evgeny Onegin in Liszt's transcription that doesn't quite work, Koji ATTWOOD (YouTube) could do it; and two by the Prince Oginski brothers (Chopin knew them) that Wanda Landowska recorded on her Pleyel monster with the 64-foot stops (turns out she wrote the thunderous introduction to the A-minor herself), the LP was called "Landowska Plays For Paderewski", the great lady in raptus at harpsichord with reptilian fingers staring into Heaven where the Premier of Poland looks down benignly. The LP, now on Testament CD, included a Chopin mazurka on harpsichord!

I have never seen Chopin's Polonaise in F-sharp minor, Op. 44, played in public. Has anyone? I think pianists are afraid to risk it, but Pogorelic did early on, recorded it in Warsaw at Chopin Competitiion 1980 from which he was ejected to Martha Argerich's disgust, and there's a DGG DVD of him playing it. An entire embedded Mazurka is in the "B"-section, and a half mad octave ostinato with hollow rumbling distant artillery like the Revolutionary Etude.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 5:10:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2008 7:36:39 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Francois Duparc 6/11 354PM. Tharaud is very good, isn't he?, tho I enjoy his Reynaldo Hahn, Rameau and Ravel more than Schubert and Chopin I've heard; much good musique de chambre-separee. Raymond Trouard is a new name I will note, thank you.. Did you hear Gianluca Cascioli in Paris early this year? And do you happen to know Frederic Gaussin at the Sorbonne? (PhD-Musicology candidate).

I hope you received my Cortot messages. We may start a new thread on him, Moiseiwitsch, and Sofronitsky as they are brothers under the skin and at least some admired the others. Your posts would be valuable. I see Francois-Frederic Guy has new Beethoven I and V with Radio France PO/Philippe Jordan to add to his Grieg and Brahms II, and has re-recorded his ace Hammerklavier for another label (many Beethoven and Brahms cello things also). Do you approve? Please do not derange yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2008 7:41:20 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Ordered: Freddy Kempf's new BIS: Balakirev Islamey, Mussorgsky's Tableaux, Ravel-Ronsard's "Gaspard de la nuit". Too many of these already, but I like Freddy and anyone with the last name of Kempf or near to it, and want to keep his things complete, have the others.

Also Francois-Frederic Guy in Beethoven I and V with Paris Radio S.O. and Phillipe Jordan on Naive. No Amazon listing, so HB Direct.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 12:28:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2008 12:31:24 AM PDT
Absolutely nothing. Hope that will change soon. But I don't want to get anything new until I get through my massive Wagner set.

I keep checking the Solti Figaro from the Eighties to see if Amazon are going to be nice and substantially reduce the price. But even the Penguin notes the uniformly ridiculous price of this set. I had a four-five hour opportunity to get it for about 44, but I want it to come into thirties territory before I get it. Maybe it won't last?!?!

Ryan

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2008 4:39:20 PM PDT
Tero says:
Frederic Hand, guitarist, Jazz Antigua
Had his Baroque and in the Street, on cassette, once. I have bits of it on CDR. Zany approach, with bluegrass palyers.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  189
Total posts:  9683
Initial post:  Mar 31, 2008
Latest post:  53 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions