Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Upcoming Releases

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 15, 2012 5:26:57 AM PDT
Curious about this one : Prokofiev: Cto 2 & Sonata 1 : Janine Jansen.
No idea how good this is : Beethoven for All: Piano Sonatas : Baremboim.
Dynamic Duo of Helene Grimaud and Sol Gabetta : Duo.
Anybody know anything about this ? Recomposed By Max Richter: Four Seasons.
I am definitely getting this one : Sound the Trumpet: Royal Music From Handel & Purcell : Alison Balsom !

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 2:24:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 2:25:56 AM PDT
Zadok

The Barenboim Beethoven sonatas could be a re-packaging of his EMI Dvds from live concerts. I don't know for a fact that it is, but I bought the piano concertos is this series and they turned out to be a repackaging of the EuroArts DVDs on CD. -- It's the exact same recording. So personally I'm waiting to see if someone clarifies whether or not they are new recordings. Anyway -- who is crazy enough to want to own 4 Barenboim Beethoven sonatas?

I also bought the symphonies in the same series and from what I have listened to so far I have to say I prefer his earlier Berlin recordings on Warner.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 2:31:32 AM PDT
Brahms
Violin Concerto in D, Op.77
Berg
Violin Concerto
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Renaud Capuçon (violin)

Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Daniel Harding

Recorded 19, 21 & 22 December 2011 in ORF RadioKulturhaus, Vienna

CD Number
VIRGIN CLASSICS
7 33962 5

REVIEW:

http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_cd_review.php?id=10448

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 2:34:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 2:34:18 AM PDT
Leif Ove Andsnes started a cycle of the Beethoven Piano Concertos with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra:

http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_cd_review.php?id=10446

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 8:59:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2012 9:02:08 PM PDT
The new Frans Bruggen Beethoven Symphony 1-9 period set will be available on Oct. 22 from Presto Classical (ahead of Amazon):

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Glossa/GCDSA921116

It's going to be released by the Glossa label in a hybrid SACD format. I've found that Glossa almost always offers excellent sound engineering. Since Bruggen's recent Bach choral recordings are in my view an improvement over his earlier Bach, it will be interesting to see if the same holds true for his new Beethoven. Especially since his earlier Beethoven set for Phillips is one of the top period sets IMO.

There is also a Beethoven Violin Sonata 1-10 set coming out on Nov. 6th from violinist Leonidas Kavakos, with pianist Enrico Pace, on Decca:

Beethoven: Violin Sonatas

And the ensemble Pygmalion is releasing a recording of Bach's 1733 Mass in B Minor--the earlier version of the Mass, on Oct. 9th. It must be truncated as they've fit it onto a single CD:

Bach: Missa 1733

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 10:00:39 PM PDT
John Spinks says:
The beginning of a new Villa-Lobos symphony cycle:

Villa-Lobos: Symphonies Nos 6 & 7

Release date 09/25

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:21:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 6:21:49 AM PDT
John Spinks says:
O. Rydland pointed out on the Frank Shipway thread that there is a new recording of R. Strauss' Alpensinfonie coming out. According to Arkivmusic it's due out on 10/14/12 from BIS. It's with the Sao Paulo State SO.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 4:02:32 PM PDT
Thomas E. says:
Yet another more-or-less-complete edition on the way from Brilliant Classics. This time, it's Borodin. The 10 cds contain the following works:
1: Piano Music
2: Prince Igor (1)
3: Prince Igor (2)
4: Prince Igor (3)
5: Sextet in D minor, String Trio in G minor, String Trio in G, Piano Trio in D
6: Songs and romances
7: String Quartet no.1 in A, Piano Quintet in C minor
8: String Quartet no.2 in D, String Quintet in F minor, Serenate alla Spagnola
9: Symphonies 2 & 3
10: Symphony no.1, In the Steppes of Central Asia

Also new from Brilliant:
- The first cd in a new cycle of Schubert's string quartets, played by the Diogenes Quartet from Germany.
- A 3 cd-set with 20th-century guitar preludes by Asafiev, Ponce, Badings, Sauguet and Farkas. Played by Cristiano Porqueddu.
- The second release in their new Locatelli Edition: a 5 cd-set with his complete violin sonatas, played by the Ensemble Violini Capricciosi, headed by Igor Ruhadze.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 11:43:25 AM PDT
Thomas E. says:
There are several upcoming Wagner-sets:

- The complete operas on DG, 43 cds. Includes earlier, less well known operas like Rienzi, Die Feen and Das Liebesverbot.
- A 36 cd-set from EMI with the 11 last operas, from Rienzi to Parsifal.
- The Wagner Edition from Opus Arte. The 10 famous ones, from Der Fliegende Holländer to Parsival, on 25 DVDs.
- The Other Wagner. 4 cds from EMI with symphonic vocal and piano music.

And for something completely different: Vol.5 of the Ferdinand Ries Piano Concerto-series from Naxos, with Christopher Hinterhuber and the New Zealand SO. The previous releases have been excellent.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 2:20:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 2:25:39 PM PDT
Just released today (Oct. 2nd): a 16-disc box set entitled, "The Art of Carla Maria Giulini"--which appears to be drawn exclusively from Giulini's later years, when he recorded for DG (and Sony?):

The Art of Carlo Maria Giulini

The Vienna Philharmonic recordings of the Bruckner's Symphonies 7, 8, & 9 are one of the main attractions of the set IMO. The CSO Mahler 9th is also very fine, although maybe not an absolute first choice. On the other hand, the Beethoven 9th made with the Berlin Philharmonic was more controversial, along with some of the other 'late' Giulini DG recordings--but very well liked in some quarters.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 3:17:51 PM PDT
about the borodin,
Nikolai Ghiaurov is their 'Prince igor' he is the one on my favorite recording the sofia on sony.Prince Igor
If it is the set included, It might be worthwhile.
The problem is I already have these thee borodin releases from billiant.
Borodin: Symphonies(well its contents in a bigger box)
Borodin: Complete Piano Music
Complete Chamber Music

and odds are these will be the ones in the box.
did brilliant get the rights to this or is there another recording?
Borodin: Complete Songs and Romances

Is the cello sonata after Bach included in the set?

details... details....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 3:45:47 PM PDT
Thomas E. says:
My old pal Jacky: Seems as if the set has the same contents as in the chamber and piano sets you already have (I have that chamber set, too).
The symphonies and the Steppes are different, though - these are with the Bolshoi Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Mark Ermler.
The opera is the same recording as the one you like, with The Sofia National Opera Chorus and Sofia Festival Orchestra, conducted by Emil Tchakarov in 1987.
The songs are also the same as the one you're linking to, with singers Andrei Slavny, Marianna Tarasova, Irina Molokina, Nikolai Okhotnikov and Konstantin Pluzhnikov, and pianist Yuri Serov.
No mention of the cello sonata anywhere, unfortunately. These sets are never completely complete. Other missing works include the third symphony (completed by Glazunov), a romance for baritone and orchestra (it's in the symphony set you already have), one or two unfinished operas, and one or two choir works.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 3:51:24 PM PDT
Piso Mojado says:
Harmonia Mundi release October 9: Schubert Sonata D845 and "Wanderer" Fantasy, Paul Lewis, pianist. I'm giving it to Mandryka for Christmas with volume 3 of Marc-Andre Hamelin's Haydn sonatas, but let it be a surprise.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 4:07:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 4:33:31 PM PDT
thomas E,
thanks for the update, so i actually have all of it but those particuliar recordings of the symphonies. Sounds like a "PASS".

I actually have four complete symphony cycles(all include the unfinished 3) and my favorite is the white hot svetlanov.Complete Symphonies & More Orchestral Works
He did a later recording that was released on RCA but these old musty soviet recordings are my favorite. this is not the release I have and like so many others from melodyia they have been released and re-released over the years.
the other three I have are the other svetlanovSymphonies 1 & 3
the Rostevesky I mentioned and the Tjecknavarion...
The major requirements for me in looking for a borodin set is a conductor whose name I cannot remember how to spell....I know the last two are spelled wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 11:35:30 PM PDT
Nada says:
Piso - as you love this series:

Rarities of Piano Music at "Schloss vor Husum", vol. 23 from the 2011 Festival

is available now. Since today at jpc.de - at the "normal" price which is rather expensive - and already since August at the label's website (www.danacord.dk) - here much less expensive.

Amazon.com is offering until now only the MP3 version Rarities of Piano Music at 'Schloss vor Husum' Festival 2011 - Live

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 4:45:14 AM PDT
Thomas E. says:
A new Rautavaara-set from Ondine. 4 cds with choral works.

There's also a 5 cd set from Naxos called "The American Spirit: Roots and Transformations". It contains these previous releases: Abraham Lincoln: Portraits - Peter Boyer: Ellis Island, The Dream of America - Hannibal Lokumbe: Dear Mrs. Parks - Virgil Thomson: The Plow that Broke the Plains.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:29:09 AM PDT
Piso Mojado says:
Nada, yes, thanks, I have collected all the "Rarities of Piano Music at Schloss vor Husum" since 1986. I've been watching for the excerpts from the 2011 festival and will now go looking for them. It's a marvelous series for pianophiles and pianoholics.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 12:09:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012 12:13:59 PM PDT
David Mayer says:
Tomorrow, Oct 5, Audite is releasing a 4-CD set of Schoenberg, Berg, and Webern as interpreted by their contemproraries, in performances dating from 1949-1965.

Link

The line-up of soloists and conductors is simply incredible: Ferenc Fricsay, Tibor Varga, Ernst Krenek, Suzanne Danco, Eduard Steuermann (who premiered Schoenberg's Piano Concerto), Erich Röhn, the Végh Quartet, Artur Rother, Bruno Maderna, André Gertler, Rudolf Kolisch, and others. At $17.98 for the MP3 album, or $48 for the CD set, this strikes me as essential for anyone interested in the Second Viennese School.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:37:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2012 7:48:14 AM PDT
Decca is releasing a 20 CD box set with all the versions of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring they have ever recorded - including 3 for 4 handed piano!:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4783729

I don't recall ever having seen that kind of complete release before devoted to just one work.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 9:53:12 AM PDT
Thomas E. says:
Wow, that's crazy. Crazy enough to work, too. Have to admit that I want it...

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 10:26:35 AM PDT
John Spinks says:
Nuts. There are three Dorati's in that set alone. If it were around the $30 range I might consider it. Looney, Ga-Ga, Absurd....Igor would love it, though.

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 6:13:05 PM PDT
Piso Mojado says:
Amazon.com now offer EMI's new 40-CD Alfred Cortot Anniversary Edition for $94.71 with free shipping, release date November 19.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 8:06:46 AM PDT
EMI is going to be releasing some box sets of recordings by Otto Klemperer. I have seen 3 si far on Amazon, but there could be more in the future.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 2:13:37 AM PDT
Pollini re-records the Chopin Preludes, but Jed Distler doesn't particularly like it:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review/pollini-revisits-chopins-preludes/

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 2:30:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2012 2:32:12 AM PDT
2 Violin Concertos by Prokofiev on Pentatone

A former student of Mutter's, Arabella Steinbacher.

With a Russian orchestra and conductor
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  1668
Initial post:  Jul 13, 2012
Latest post:  8 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions