Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

What Are You Listening To Right Now? - Part VIII

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 2, 2012 9:17:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2012 2:26:40 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Continuing with Bruckner's ninth symphony, Furtwaengler and Berlin Philharmonic live on magnetic wire from Berlin 1944, very reverberant with some distortion but good sound for the date. Otherwise, modern versions are I think just as good and much clearer.

He conducted it on his very first concert at age 19 with an orchestra hired by his archaelogist father, Adolf Furtwaengler, whose books on ancient Greece are still studied today. His son inherited his father's love for classical antiquity.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 9:33:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2012 9:42:41 AM PDT
bernstein candide.
Bernstein Conducts Candide
actually fromTheatre Works

This is as great as the companion 'west side story' is misguided.
christa ludwig and N. Gedda having lots of fun in the twilight of their careers.

I got this box for 'a quiet place' which was very expensive otherwise. ( I already had WSS and Candide) BUT i only seem to go back for it for 'candide'. Oh well, I keep telling myself my stockpile of CDs is more than just a music collection'. it is a 'reference library'... Delusion on so many levels.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 10:17:17 AM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
Rachmaninov, Plays Rachmaninov, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43
Sergei Rachmaninov, piano --The Philadelphia Orchestra
Leopold Stokowski, conductor --Recorded, 24 December 1934
RCA Victor Church Studio No. 2, Camden, New Jersey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-2sWPVQeE&feature=em-uploademail

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 10:48:06 AM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Beethoven: Symphony No.3 in E Flat, Op.55

Sir George Solti leading the Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3, Egmont Overture

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 11:33:19 AM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
Overture in B flat Major, D 470 -by Franz Schubert
Philharmonia Hungarica -Peter Maag, conductor-1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlBqkg-wutw&feature=g-all-u

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 1:15:00 PM PDT
Two Proms today:

First off, Prom 68, the second of Cameron Carpenter's recitals of mostly Bach on the mighty RAH organ. I have yet to listen (via iPlayer Listen Again) to yesterday's matinee Prom 66 with Carpenter. After listening to today's live concert, there will be no rush to do so. Carpenter was once asked if he was a second Liberace. No, he replied, I am a first Cameron Carpenter. Exactly so.

Now, Prom 69, the second of the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra's concerts under Chailly.
Two works:
Messaien- Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum
and, a particlar favorite of mine,
Mahler- Symphony No 6 (with the scherzo as third movement).

A very smooth, enjoyable performance.

Tomorrow off to London.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 2:02:05 PM PDT
John Spinks says:
Mozart --

String Quartet in D major, K. 575 (Prussian No. 1)
String Quartet in B flat major, K. 589 (Prussian No. 2)
String Quartet in F major, K. 590 (Prussian No. 3)
Divertimento in F major, K. 138/125c

Amadeus Quartet

String Quartets (Coll)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 4:18:51 PM PDT
Chopin's Piano Cts. 1 & 2, w/ Samson Francois at the piano and Louis Fremaux leading the Orchestre National de L'Opera de Monte-Carlo.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 5:16:15 PM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
Sergei Rachmaninov (Rachmaninoff) --Piano Concerto No. 4 in G minor, Op. 40
The only other performance I know is by Michelangeli.
Sergei Rachmaninov, piano --The Philadelphia Orchestra --Eugene Ormandy, conductor
Recorded, 20 December 1941 --Academy of Music, Philadelphia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8yLc2UgyQ&feature=em-uploademail

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 6:02:05 PM PDT
carnola says:
PBS (re-?)broadcast the Dude's summer concert from Vienna with the Vienna Philaharmonic the other night, which I DVR'd.

Watched it today--works included Tchaik's Polonaise from Onegin, Mussorgsky's Dance of the Persian Slaves, Borodin's Polovetsian Dances, Debussy's La Mer, R Strauss's Dance of the Seven Veils, and Ponchielli's Dance of the Hours--plus some encores.

Camera seemed intent on capturing the few ladies in the orchestra. The Vienna State Opera's ballet corps danced to several of the numbers. That includes the last two movements of La Mer where they "frolicked" in the water and reminded me of the "watery tart" reference in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

They also had light show effects with both the dancers and with some of the music.

They also had numerous crowd shots--many of those in the grass seemed to take the concert more as background music than something to concentrate on.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 6:43:02 PM PDT
K. Bowersock says:
Now--Rachmaninoff: Vespers, op. 37 (Robert Shaw/RS Festival Singers on Telarc)

Rachmaninoff: Vespers

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 8:23:56 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Mozart: Piano Sonata No.1 in C Major, KV 279

Christian Zacharias, piano

Mozart: Complete Piano Sonatas

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 10:30:48 PM PDT
K. Bowersock says:
Now--Handel: Radamisto, Act I (Curtis/Il Complesso Barocco on Virgin)

Handel: Radamisto

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 11:18:39 PM PDT
Piso-

Wildner conducting Bruckner's 9th is one of those dark horse recordings. I think he hit the nail pretty much on the head. My favorite 9th is one with von Karajan conducting the VPO.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 5:16:43 AM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Francesco Antonio Bonporti (1672-1749): Trio Sonata in F Major, Op.4, No.9

Accademia I Filarmonica: Alberto Martini and Enrico Casazza, violins -- Leonardo Sapere, cello -- Roberto Loreggian, harpsichord

Bonporti Edition 5

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 8:38:31 AM PDT
bejart7092 says:
In celebration of his birthday ---
Pietro Antonio Locatelli (3 September 1695-1764): Concerto Grosso in B Flat, Op.1, No.3

Jaroslav Krecek directing the Capella Istropolitana

Locatelli: Concerti Grossi Op.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 8:49:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2012 8:51:33 AM PDT
Weill: The Rise And Fall Of The City Of Mahagonny / Latham-Konig, Silja, Schlemm, Neumann

I guess the pink-o overtones of this weill/brecht work isn't out of place for Labor day.
even though this lacks Lenya, this is the best recording of this work I have found.
(The gravitas of lenya vs her destroyed voice is always a trade off in her 50s recordings anyway)
Silja gives gravitas.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 11:17:17 AM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Ferdinand Ries (1784-1838): Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op.125

Kousay Mahdi Kadduri, cello -- Peter Nagy, piano

Ries: Sonatas for Cello & Fortepiano

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 11:40:10 AM PDT
Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit, w/ Samson Francois at the piano, the 1967 EMI recording.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 12:14:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 3, 2012 12:16:21 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 12:16:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2012 12:23:25 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Johann Baptist Krumpholtz (1742-1790): Harp Sonata in F Major, Op.8, No.5

Andrea Vigh, harp -- Vilmos Szabadi, violin -- Casaba Oncsay, cello

Krumpholtz: Harp Sonatas

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 1:21:45 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Anton Vranicky (1761-1820): String Quartet in G Major

Martinu Quartet: Lubomir Havlak and Petr Macecek, violins -- Jan Jisa, viola -- Jitka Vlasankova, cello

Vranicky:Concertante Quartets Nos 1-3

Just posted a review of this excellent CD --

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 1:25:04 PM PDT
Boccherini; String Trio in F, Op. 14 #1 (G 95) - Trio Euterpe

Boccherini: String Trios: Op 14 No. 1, 4 & 5 / Op 47 No. 1-3

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 1:28:56 PM PDT
Onwards through the MLP box : Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet - Suites Nos. 1 & 2 / Mussorgsky: Night on Bald Mountain.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 2:42:19 PM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
Moritz Moszkowski - Piano Concerto in E, Op. 59

This lively, brilliant Romantic piano concerto is certainly one of my favourites. It was composed in 1898 by the German Jewish pianist Moritz Moszkowski (1854-1925). He dedicated it to the virtuoso pianist Josef Hofmann, who studied with Moszkowski in his youth. This work enjoyed considerable popularity in the decade following its premiere, but it soon fell into neglect, along with the rest of Moszkowski's oeuvre (where - unfortunately - much of it remains to this day). By the outbreak of the First World War, his wife and daughter had passed away and he became a sickly recluse, rejecting all new composition students on account of their "modern" preferences as followers of "artistic madmen like Scriabin, Schoenberg, Debussy, Satie." Having lost all his money in defunct German and Polish bonds, by 1922 Moszkowski was so poor and heavily in debt that his colleagues (including Wilhelm Backhaus, Percy Grainger and Ossip Gabrilowitsch) arranged a benefit concert at Carnegie Hall, raising $10 000 on his behalf. Sick and destitute, Moszkowski died in Paris in 1925.

The soloist in this recording is the late Israeli pianist David Bar-Illan, though he may be better known as a journalist and media spokesman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1L8592UM2o&playnext=1&list=PLB19653D1EF0A0A4B&feature=results_main
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  114
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Aug 27, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions