Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

What Are You Listening To Right Now? - Part VIII

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 3:55:22 PM PDT
K. Bowersock says:
Now--Brahms: Piano Trio no. 1, op. 8 (Katchen/Suk/Starker on Decca)

Brahms: Piano Trios Nos. 1 & 2

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 4:10:50 PM PDT
John Spinks says:
Beethoven --

Violin Sonata No. 4 in A minor, Op. 23
Violin Sonata No. 6 in A major, Op. 30, No. 1
Violin Sonata No. 8 in G major, Op. 30, No. 3

Itzhak Perlman/violin; Vladimir Ashkenazy/piano

Beethoven: The Violin Sonatas

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 5:21:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2012 10:32:31 PM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
Unbelievable. Imagine the stereotype of Maestro conducting too fast. The opening melodic theme is carressed like a MOMMA caresses her baby. The detail is simply stunning.

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky --Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 --"Pathétique"

1.Adagio -- Allegro non troppo
2.Allegro con grazia
3.Allegro molto vivace
4.Finale: Adagio lamentoso -- Andante

NBC Symphony Orchestra --Arturo Toscanini, conductor -Concert Stereo Live Recording
21 March 1954 in Carnegie Hall, New York.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vb4w6PG-E4&feature=em-uploademail

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 6:33:00 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848): Concertino for English Horn in G Major

Peter Maag conducting the Bamberger Symphony Orchestra -- Heinz Holliger, oboe

Bellini/Cimarosa/Donizetti/Dittersdorf/Salieri: Oboe Concertos

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:15:14 PM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
A glorious voice and complete performance. Martina Arroyo sings Four Last Songs by Richard Strauss.
Live Cologne 1973
Martina Arroyo "Im Frühling" Strauss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1D30AnL-q0&list=PL3D8CDD1AF7B8E371&feature=mh_lolz

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 3:46:36 AM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Vivaldi: Concerto in G Minor, RV 152

Simon Standage leading Collegiium Musicum 90

Vivaldi: String Concertos, Vol. 2

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 5:44:37 AM PDT
K. Bowersock says:
Now--Brahms: Variations on an Original Theme, op. 21, no. 1 (Julius Katchen on Decca)

Brahms: Works for Solo Piano

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 7:50:05 AM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Leopold Kozeluch (1747-1818): String Quartet in F Major, Op.33, No.3

Stamic Quartet: Bohuslav Matousek and Josef Kekula, violins -- Jan Peruska, viola -- Vladimir Leixner, cello

Kozeluch: String Quartets Opus 33

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 8:14:58 AM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Yesterday, violin sonatas and piano quintet by Nikolai Medtner with the conductor Yevgeny Svetlanov as the excellent pianist (Richter praises him in the "Notebooks"). Also solo piano works played by Svetlanov and Nikonovich. Medtner is a tough, gruff nut to crack, but I like a few of his pieces very much.

Some Schumann played by Marc-Andre Hamelin: "Papillons, "Symphonic Etudes", and Liszt's Paganini Etudes. They are all almost too easy for him. Fantastic speed and clarity. I've still to hear his Liszt sonata, which he's proud of.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 9:29:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2012 9:30:06 AM PDT
mahler/ludwig
Christa Ludwig (Mahler: Lieder)

Maybe not everyone's favorite, but they are mine....
ludwig from 50 years ago is the best.

(there might be later remasterings of this disc)

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 9:38:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2012 9:39:36 AM PDT
WH says:
With the "Best American Composition" voting moving along, playing some that unfortunately didn't even make the list:

Earlier:
John Adams: Century Rolls (Nonesuch) (piano concerto commissioned by and performed by Emanuel Ax)

Now:
Adams: Harmonielehre, Short Ride in a Fast Machine: Michael Tilson Thomas / SF Symphony (SFS, 2012)
(For me, one of the best releases of the year).

Next:
Paul Moravec: Tempest Fantasy; Mood Swings; B.A.S.S. Variations; Scherzo, "American Classics" (Naxos, 2007)
"Tempest Fantasy" was the winner of the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for music. Favorite movement: "IV. Sweet Airs"

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 10:01:53 AM PDT
James Conlon leading the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in Erwin Schulhoff's Symphony No. 5.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 11:19:54 AM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Vaclav Pichl (1741-1805): Symphony in D Major, Z16

Matthias Bamert conducting the London Mozart Players

Pichl: Symphonies

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 12:28:46 PM PDT
Steven Isserlis - Haydn: Cello Concertos in C & D, Sinfonia Concertante

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 12:44:02 PM PDT
Dittersdorf; Six String Quartets - #1 in D, #2 in Bb, #3 in G - Gewandhaus Quartett

I can listen to more than one of these at a time because they are relatively short - all have just 3 movements, and, they are musically interesting. Having said that, there are some slightly odd things Ditters von Ditters al Ditters the Dittersdorf does that almost strike me as musical non sequiturs.

Anyone who has these - and who also know of Mozart's Ein Musikalischer Spass, K522, I could swear it could be Dittersdorf that Mozart is panning. I know Mozart did use a clumsy fugue from one of his students in the piece but that isn't the musical content I'm alluding to.

In "The Musical Joke", there are these odd repetitions and phrases that go on a little too long, or not long enough or have awkward transitions. I swear I'm hearing echos of these things in Dittersdorf's Quartets. I would love to hear someone else's opinion on this.

I'm not saying these quartets are bad...nothing like that at all. In fact I find them enjoyable and refreshing but some of what is refreshing just might be...maybe...possibly - what Mozart is lampooning in his Musical Joke. Anyone???

Dittersdorf: 6 String Quartets

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 1:28:05 PM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
Ludwig van Beethoven --Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67

1.Allegro con brio
2.Andante con moto
3.Scherzo. Allegro
4.Allegro - Presto

New York Philharmonic --Victor de Sabata --Recorded Live,16 March 1950 --Carnegie Hall, New York.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I7JxBrMK3I&feature=em-uploademail

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 1:29:45 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848): String Quartet No.17 in D Major

The Revolutionary Drawing Room: Graham Cracknell and Adrian Butterfield, violins -- Peter Collyer, viola -- Angela East, cello

Donizetti: String Quartets No. 16-18

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 2:02:17 PM PDT
Mozart; Piano Concerto #12 in A, K 414 - Daniel Barenboim, Berlin Philharmoniker

Mozart: The Piano Concertos [includes Bonus DVD] [Box Set]

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 2:24:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2012 2:26:39 PM PDT
One way to neutralize the idiotic "Brahms no-voter" would be this:

If you listen to Brahms, put a 'no' vote on the previous half dozen or so posts and check back in a few hours and do the same with the half dozen or so after your post. Then they all will have one "no" vote and the "Brahms = no" guy's work is in vain.

A rather ridiculous plan I admit but sometimes ridiculousness requires a ridiculous response. Or, we can do what we have generally been doing all along, which is generally ignoring the person. I actually have it narrowed down to a handful. How? I went through ALL the "What are you listening to now" threads and noted who NEVER listens to any Brahms. I also surveyed all the threads that were about Brahms and who doesn't like him, etc.

Why do I care? Good question! I guess it seems cowardly to me, even if it is a small transgression. It also is stupid so those 2 things add up to annoyance. I know, I know. That is what the guy wants.

Well it is fun figuring out who it is anyway...

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 2:54:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2012 3:55:08 PM PDT
up until May, I would get and down vote for everything I listened to.
and TWO down votes when I listened to Brahms.... I guess it was easy to figure out my regular nay sayer was...and eliminate him as the brahms dude.

well while I'm on christa ludwig fest. Disc one of this delightful box is brahms lieder.
parsons and Moore on Piano followed by 'alto rhapsody' conducted by Klemperer.
The Art of Christa Ludwig [Box Set]

THREE MINUTE UPDATE, a 'no' vote within THREE MINUTES.
or are one of you just fuguing with me?

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 3:20:40 PM PDT
That Brahms no-voter is a wee-nie for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 3:57:49 PM PDT
He is a horse's a--, but why give him any more satisfaction than we have given him by acknowledging him? Just ignore him.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 4:01:45 PM PDT
carnola says:
BBC Proms PCM 08 - Pierre-Laurent Aimard plays Debussy including Preludes, Bk II

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 4:54:22 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Frederick the Great (1723-1786): Symphony No.2 in G Major

Kurt Redel leading the Pro Arte Orchestra of Munich

Frederick the Great: 4 Symphonies

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 5:33:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2012 7:11:14 PM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
About the French pianist and composer Victor Dolmetsch (1852-1904) I can find very little, except that he studied piano at the Paris Conservatoire under Antoine Marmontel, and seems to have taught there himself. He wrote a violin concerto, and contributed reviews to the French musical periodical 'Le Ménéstral'

Victor Dolmetsch : Fantasmagorie , #5 from '15 nouveaux Préludes' Op. 85
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wb48jWNhD8&feature=g-all-u
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  114
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Aug 27, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions