Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

What's on order?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 7:09:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 21, 2008 8:17:39 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 7:19:37 PM PDT
K. Bowersock says:
Etha,

I second David's recommendation of the Grumiaux recording - it is a cherished set on my shelves, one which rarely gathers dust.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 7:27:31 PM PDT
K.Bowerstock,

You were lucky to get the Fleisher/Szell/Beethoven set that cheap. I got mine used for $20!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 8:24:44 PM PDT
p0lyph0nyxx says:
David & K Bowersock --

Thanks for the recommendations on the Grumiaux. I have moved it to "highest" on my wish list, so as soon as funds become available I will get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 11:36:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2008 11:38:14 AM PDT
Just received four CDs:

From BMG Record Club:

Wolfgang Rihm: Dis-Kontur for large orchestra; Lichtzwang for Violin and Orchestra, and Sub-Kontur, for Orchestra; on Hanssler.

Osvaldo Golijov: Youth Without Youth; on DG.

And from CD Universe:

Gloria Cheng: performs piano pieces by Lutoslawski, Stucky, and Salonen (includes world premiere recording of Lutoslawski's early Piano Sonata); on Telarc.

Magnus Lindberg's Violin Concerto, coupled with Sibelius Violin Concerto, Lisa Batiashvili , soloist; on Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 11:47:00 AM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
Wagner: Tannhauser [New York -- December 19, 1942; Traubel, Melchior, Kipnis, Thorborg, Janssen; Szell]

I am a creature of habit and hopefully good taste. All my complete operas pf Wagner have the tenor leads sung by Lauritz Melchior.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 12:23:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2008 12:30:13 PM PDT
K. Bowersock says:
Samuel, I do feel quite lucky! I cant wait for its arrival.

Etha, do let us know (if you do choose to purchase it, but please do!) how you like the set; K. 593 is particularly wonderful (my favorite on the set for sure).

On order now-- the Du Pre/Barenboim Brahms cello sonatas - my copy is scratched to hades so i thought it wise to re-invest now while it's selling new for like $8 here from Amazon (not a third party).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 12:37:53 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Caro Giovanni Ruggeri, your taste really is very simple: you are always satisfied with the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 12:47:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2008 12:52:44 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Szymanowski wrote a symphonie-concertante in the 20th century and dedicated it to Rubinstein, but it has only the one solo instrument. It's sometimes counted with his other symphonies. I'm stumped for later examples but would be surprised if there are none. Among the earlier are Pleyel and Haydn.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 12:49:57 PM PDT
Thomas E. says:
I'm currently debating over whether or not to buy the Grieg Centenary Edition on Brilliant Classics. 21 cds with most of his music. I actually have half or so of the recordings already, but they're great to give away as gifts. The problem that's keeping me from buying the set is that it's not complete. The set lacks 11 opus-numbers (including "Two symphonic pieces" and his only opera "Olav Tryggvason"), and also lacks 36 EG-numbers (including his only symphony, which I like, but which Grieg himself disowned). And it bothers me. Why didn't they just include it all when they were so close to it? I'm a completist, dammit! Actually, I will buy it anyway, to be honest. Just needed to vent.

I'm going to Oslo at the end of the month, and I have to start planning what to buy when I'm there. Will probably buy Tchaikovsky 4,5 and 6 conducted by Mravinsky, on the strenght of recommendations from you people. Also looking for symphonies by Rachmaninov, maybe some of Ton Koopman's Buxtehude-editions... and more modern music from Carter, Stockhausen, Nono etc. And I'd like another Schubert piano trio 2. Any recommendations?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 2:16:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2008 2:18:01 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Dmitri, thanks for helping stave off the Shostakovich non-believers. But what's happened to your unit cost? Your latest order is over $1.15 a CD; you used to get them for 66 cents. Is this the inflation I keep hearing about? If they average 1'20" each you can hear them all in less than three months, listening only eight hours a day. Listen up!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 2:35:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 6, 2008 5:13:28 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 3:14:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2008 3:16:48 PM PDT
Piso:

Speaking of symphonie-concertante (in the 20th century) I found from my collection the following:

Szymanowski: symphonie-concertante for piano and orch. (symphonie no.4, 1932) /Andsnes/CBSO/Rattle
Rubbra: symphonie-concertante for piano and orch. (1936) /Shelley/BBC
Wales/Hickox
Bloch: concerto symphonique for piano and orch. (1949) /Lin/RSO Kaiserslautern/Starek
Prokofiev: symphonie-concertante for cello and orch. (1951) /Gustafsson/RSO Finland/Oramo

ADDED LATER: but these have of course just one solo instrument.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 3:51:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2008 3:54:00 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Ville, thanks for these additional examples of modern symphonie-concertantes, some of which I should have remembered, and good hunting on your Oslo buying trip. You can still catch up with Dmitri if you try.

I now recollect that Henry David Litolff 1818-1891 wrote four Concerto-symphoniques for piano and orchestra (one of them with the famous scherzo formerly played by itself at "pops" concerts), so the name survived even if the concertante group did not always. It's an attractive form in the multiple solo-instruments guise, and I would like to see it revived. Bloch also wrote two concerti-grossi, two in addition to the concerto-symphonique you mention. He was still head of San Francisco Conservatory when I lived there.

Schnittke wrote a Concerto for Three (violin, viola, cello). His first concerto grosso is for two solo violins, harpsichord, and orchestra. His second concerto grosso is for solo violin and cello.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 5:52:28 PM PDT
DavidRFoss says:
Etha Williams says:
Thanks for the recommendations on the Grumiaux. I have moved it to "highest" on my wish list, so as soon as funds become available I will get it.
-----------------
The only nitpick I have heard on this set is that Grumiaux himself stands out a bit more than the 1st violinist does on other recordings. I can see where those people are coming from, but it doesn't bother me. Just a heads up in case you like a more "blended" string ensemble sound. Sound samples should be available.

I love this set. Every piece sounds so crisp and so "right".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2008 6:12:45 PM PDT
pohaku says:
In the mail:

Dutilleux: The Works for Piano, Dutilleux: Complete Orchestral works, Dvorak - Rusalka / Robert Carsen (DVD), Szymanowski: Symphonies #2-4, and more.

I haven't heard much of any of these yet. We've loved a couple of other Robert Carsen-directed DVDs, though (Les Boreades by Rameau and Capriccio by Strauss), and so we have high hopes for his Rusalka. I ran across Dutilleux in one of the forums and still haven't heard any of his works, but I was so intrigued by various reviews that I sprang for quite a bit at once. I recently got Szymanowski's opera Krol Roger and it convinced me to explore further. Turns out that his Symphony #3 is based on poetry of Rumi and he wrote some songs on texts of Hafez, both of whom were Medieval Persian poets. I read Medieval Persian for fun and profit (aesthetic profit only), and it's not everyday that one finds Western classical works related in any way to such texts (here, of course, in a Polish translation from a German translation of the original Persian). The only other piece I'm aware of is Hovhaness's Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 1:22:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2008 1:23:45 AM PDT
p0lyph0nyxx says:
David R. Foss --

Thanks for heads up. In general, be it for strings, choir, orchestra, piano, etc, I almost always prefer a distinct, multi-layered sound to a more "blended" one (part of what I so liked about Grumiaux et al's g minor quintet, maybe). Let those second violins, altos, left hand piano parts, etc come out! For me it makes for a more involving and intense musical experience. So I doubt this should be a problem, more likely an asset.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 2:36:45 AM PDT
Piso, concerto grosso is far better term for what Superhuge meant. And I can't get better examples of that (in 20th century) than Bloch and Schnittke.
But what is this talk about a buying trip to Oslo? Misunderstanding or am I missing something? I'm not the one with biggest collections here, I thought it was You... And nowadays I buy 95 percent of my cd:s through Amazon (uk and us, sometimes de), not from the shops (only one good in Helsinki: Fuga). We had a discussion earlier about how big ones we have (ha ha), don't You remember...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 6:07:41 AM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Ville, yes, I remember, it was over Medtner and your excellent suggestion of Tozerr and the Op. 1 song. Sorry, its T. Ertresvag who's going on a buying trip to Oslo, but you might tag along?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 7:55:00 AM PDT
Piso:
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant discussion, a whole thread: "How big is Your collection" was the name of it I think, but maybe You didn't participate. I just meant I was very "middle-class" in that bunch...
But I sure remember how much Medtner You had even if You were (are?) not so fond of him!

But now is a lucky day: doesn't happen often that I receive 5 different packages by mail (in random order):
1. Bach: b minor mass/Diego Fasolis (I had earlier only Parrott, which is OVPP, I just thought I maybe still want sometimes to hear this with full choir)
2.Sibelius: Lemminkäinen, En Saga/Mikko Franck (I had earlier only Segerstam and I wanted to hear this with the revised, more reasonable order where Swan comes second, not third)
3.Vainberg;Shostakovich: violin sonatas/Kolja Blacher (this is of course primarily because of Vainberg, not available otherwise and whose compositions are nowadays a frequent delight of mine)
4. Simpson: piano music/Raymond Clarke (well, I just wanted to hear piano music by this great symphonist, whose first symphonies (3/5) I have recently bought by recommendation from thread. I don't remember who it was, but thank You!)
5.Pettersson: symphony 8 (cause particularly no 6 but also no 7 are magnificent!)

Thank god it's so easy to make up explanations!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 8:33:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2008 8:51:59 AM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Julian Bream's guitar sonatas on EMI: Antonio Jose, Paganini, Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, thanks to Mozart's mention and information.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 9:37:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2008 9:37:49 AM PDT
Recently ordered Rossini overtures by Norrington.

Recently received Grechaninov's symphony no.2 by Polyansky and Rossini's Guillaume Tell by Gardelli.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2008 3:40:52 PM PDT
Thank you, Dmitri and Dale R. Stoin for the Popov and Shostakovich recommendations. Popov: Sym. No. 1 - Shostakovich: Theme and Variations, Op. 3 (LSO,Botstein) Telarc... Schumann: Complete Piano Works (Demus) Phantom Sound & Vision... Spohr: Sym. No. 3, Sym. No. 10 (NDR,Griffiths) Cpo Records

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008 7:04:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2008 7:07:45 AM PDT
Edgar Self says:
After struggling with conscience and budget, greed prevailed and I ordered an expensive Fischer-Dieskau box with Joerg Demus just to get a rarity by Brahms that I had once on LP. It's a double-song in Op. 85, "Mondenschein" and "Sommerabend". The second song picks up a phrase from the first in an extremely beautiful way, done with great sensitivity by Demus and Fi-Di, so you need to have both songs together for the effect. Orfeo once issued a Fi-Di Salzburg recital with only one of the songs; I can't believe he would break them up. He who made some of his best records with Demus. I don't know another double-song like this in music, although in the very first song-cycle, "An die ferne Geliebte" by Beethoven, early material returns at the end. Can anyone think of others?

Fischer-Dieskau is both famous and infamous for this kind of extreme, quivering sensitivity, especially early in his career when his voice was fresh, youthful, and incredibly beautiful ... another example is "Ich trauemte mir" by Schumann, but it's hard to think of another singer capable of it. He is sometimes over the top, but other singers sound almost inattentive in comparison

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2008 7:28:02 AM PDT
Dmitri says:
I haven't ordered anything. I'm just trying to keep track of stuff that is coming in.

Although I traded it in long ago I've reaquired Karajan's 1963 Beethoven Symphony Cycle Set. I thought that this would come all in one box. It came in two large plastic sets. One with symphonies 1-6 the other with just 7, 8, and 9. It was on sale for something like $15.00. Also at a very low price was Vanska's Sibelius Symphony Set. I don't recall the exact price, but it was something like 40% of the retail price. As I've stated in the CD Buying Addiction thread more music for the stockpile:-)

Fred
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  191
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Mar 31, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions