Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Your own Top 25 recordings

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 26, 2012 12:28:00 AM PST
Jim Ginn says:
everything on Alexandre Dufresne's list except Weber's Freischutz
PLUS
Rachmaninov Sym Dances Ormandy
Sibelius 4 Legends Ormandy
Debussy la Mer Toscanini
St. Saens sym 3 Munch
Brahms sym 2 Munch
Brahms sym 4 Munch-Toscanini
Ravel Daphnis Munch
Rossini overtures Reiner
Mahler sym 4 Reiner
Franck sym Monteux-Chicago Furtwangler -Philharmonia
Schumann sym 1 Klemperer
Mendelssohn sym 3 Klemperer
Bruckner sym 3 Szell
Shostakovich sym 4 Ormandy
St. Saens PC2 Rubenstein
de falla Nights in the Gardens of Spain Rubenstein
Tchaikowsky sym 4 Szell London
Glazunov the Seasons Ansermet
Zemlinsky die Yungseefrau Chailly
Hindemith Mathis de Mahler steinberg-Pittsburgh or Boston
Shostakovich Sym 11 Stokowski-Houston
Holst Planets Stokowski LA ?
Vaughn Williams Job Boult Lon.Phil. on Everest
Vaughan Williams sym 4 Mitropoulis NY
Barber PC Browning Szell
Beethoven PC5 Gieseking-Karajan mono

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:38:31 AM PST
R. Kopp says:
Nice post on the Emersons, March, even if we have different opinions of their Schubert. My guess is that, like in our recent discussion of Karajan, lots of people here will be lukewarm about their overall body of work but will put one or two of their recordings near the top of their lists.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:58:24 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:38 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:04:35 AM PST
R. Kopp says:
I think the Emersons are inevitably worth hearing but I don't always love what I hear. I'm not a fan of their Shostakovich, particularly their 8th, which is my least favorite version. I remember their Bartok as tight and intense but I really love the Takàcs here, and the Végh, too. Once I work my way through the Belcea and the 2nd Julliard cycle, I'll check in again with the Emersons. I have to say I very much like their Schubert. I think their Haydn is quite interesting but it's rarely what I pluck off the shelf. I would need to to spend a lot more time with their Mendelssohn and their Beethoven before I could even offer an opinion. They're certainly brilliant musicians with amazing chops and they have a recognizable sound. I can understand both why some people think they're the greatest string quartet on the planet and why some people find them cold and technical.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:12:31 AM PST
Wyote says:
Nobody favors the Emersons? I've noticed they're not popular here.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:24:17 AM PST
R. Kopp says:
C'nC--

I keep hearing great things about the Pavel Haas Quartet--very curious about their Prokofiev--but yeah, the Talich are awfully darn good. I have both versions of their Janacek, which should be one too many, but I can't bring myself to give up either one.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:27:23 AM PST
I too am pretty impressed by the Pavel Haas Quartet's take on Janacek, but for me the ultimate recording has to be either of the Talich's recordings

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:49:27 PM PST
Wyote says:
WH, I have one of those disks and intend to get the other. Even if I had them both, I couldn't have mentioned them because I wouldn't devote 2/25 of the list to his string quartets....

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 11:53:26 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 23, 2012 8:38:40 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 9:11:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 9:16:00 AM PST
WH says:
Wyote wrote: "... On Janacek, if I could pick a recording of his string quartets, that might've made the list."

Wyote, If you've not heard the Pavel Haas Quartet's performance of the Janacek string quartets (Janacek, Haas: String Quartets (Supraphon, 2006); Leos Janácek: String Quartet No.1; Pavel Haas: String Quartets Nos. 1 & 3 (Supraphon, 2007)), you really need to. They are extraordinary. Mandryka (in the post above) spoke about recordings that changed his mind about a work. That's what the Pavel Haas Quartet did to me concerning the Janacek. All the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 8:56:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 9:30:59 AM PST
Mandryka says:
I've tried to mention just those recordings which I think really have changed my thinking about the music, really revealing performances. I've limited myself to just commercially published recordings (which is a probably a mistake because the web has very much reduced the importance of commercial recordings) And, you know, it's kind of limited to performers and composers I'm thinking about. If I would have made the list a couple of years ago, other things would have come to mind.

Nicolai Malko, Prokofiev 7
Boulez, Les Noces (Ades)
Silvestri, Missa Solemnis
Pollini, Davidbundlertanze (the live record from Salzburg)
Pfizner, The Eroica Symphony
Jurgen Jurgens, Monteverdi Vespers
Walcha, Art of the Fugue
Scherchen, Haydn's 7 last words
Bruno Maderna, Mozart 38 (Paris 1971)
Claudio Arrau, Beethoven Op 27/1 (Ermitage)
Leonhardt, Scarlatti sonatas (DHM)
Inghelbrecht, La Mer (Testament)
Brigitte Fassbaender, Dichterliebe
Kuijken, Bruggen and Leonhardt, Bach Brandenburg 5
Richter/Schreier Winterreise
Rosbaud Mahler 9
Vartolo, Goldberg Variations
Dino Ciani, Noveletten (live recording on Stradivarius)
Cziffra, Liszt Hungarian Rapsodies (selection recorded for Hungaroton in Paris)
Van Beinum Brahms 2
Beethoven op 106, Hans Richter-Haaser
The Ring, Boulez/Chereau
Maria Yudina, Brahms op 116-119
Scherchen, Handel Op 6
Walter Kraft, Buxtehude organ preludes
Bruno Maderna, Mahler 9 (BBC)
Gielen, Knaben Wunderhorn
Rusbaum, Bach Partitas
Knappertsbusch, Parsifal (The Beyreuth recording with Vickers)
Karajan, Schubert 9 (Vienna)
Pears/Bream Dowland Songs
Mengelberg, Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony (live)
Sofronitsky, Chopin Walzes
Quatuor Ebene, The Debussy Quartet
Hagen Quartet, Beethoven Op 18/4

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:37:25 PM PST
Wyote says:
Thanks for your support, guys!

On Enescu, I'd agree that the third violin sonata is a very good place to start. Another good one would be Kremer's disk of the Octet and Quintet. Enescu fans might want to check out the fairly recent Trio Brancusi set of piano trios, which aren't so well-known, but I liked them. As for Oedipe, IMHO it is undeniably a masterpiece. It deserves to be as well-known as any early 20th century opera.

On Piazzolla, I was not aware of the 8-disk set and I'll think about it. I already have at least 4 of those disks, and most of the rest of the music...

I have Tango: Zero Hour and if I considered it classical it would certainly have been in my top 10 or 25 recordings. I also have The Rough Dancer and the Cyclical Night, which isn't quite TZH or 5 Sensations but it's still a great album. Kremer's recording of Maria de Buenos Aires is good too. I don't enjoy the rest of the Piazzolla music that I've heard as much, but those are all very good.

On Janacek, if I could pick a recording of his string quartets, that might've made the list. But I could not omit the Tagebuch eines Verschollenen.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:12:14 AM PST
WH says:
Wyote, Great list. Great to see adventurous works such as George Crumb and Osvaldo Golijov on the list, also Domus' performance of the Faure. I had initially had their performance of the Faure Piano Quartets on mine. Also the Janacek. I'm listening, at this moment, to MacKerras' Janacek of Taras Bulba & Sinfonietta, the 2004 Supraphon version. I noticed the Piazolla. Have you seen the forthcoming collection of Gidon Kremer's the Complete Astor Piazolla Recordings? It's 8 CDs and to be released on Tuesday.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:45:44 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 17, 2012 8:04:43 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:04:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 7:10:09 AM PST
R. Kopp says:
Hi, Wyote:

I was intrigued by your choice of "5 Tango Sensations" by Astor Piazzola, performed by the Kronos Quartet--a wonderful little e.p. I see you're a big Kronos fan, as am I. I'm wondering if you know Piazzolla's own records, which I think are even more grand. "Tango: Zero Hour" and "The Rough Dancer and the Cyclical Night" are probably his masterpieces.
TANGO/ZERO HOUR
Rough Dancer & Cyclical Night

Also, Membran has at least two cheap 10-disc compilations, both excellent, if not on anywhere near the level of the two records I mentioned above.
Astor Piazzolla (1921-1992)
Master of the Bandoneon

In another discussion I actually named Piazzola as one of my 10 favorite classical performers. It's hard to think of other modern musicians who had such a seminal effect on a specialized genre--Clifton Chenier on zydeco, Bob Marley on reggae, Django Reinhardt on guitar-based jazz. Maybe Sol Hoopi. I'm drawing a blank on any others, though I'm sure I'm leaving out some international stars.

I like Gidon Kremer's Piazzolla records, too, by the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:03:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 6:11:14 AM PST
Joe Anthony says:
@Skaynan:

For me, the "Sonata #3 for Violin and Piano; to be Played in the Popular Romanian Style" is the best place to start.

Both Yehudi Menuhin, who studied with George Enesco; and Isaac Stern have made recordings of it; and I have both of them.

To my ears, the Isaac Stern recording has a brighter, fuller and warmer sound; while Menuhin, in comparison, sounds a bit thin.

It's a wonderful sonata which is based on Romanian folk music. While it's not quite as modernistic as Bartok who would take Eastern European folk music and make it integral to a more abstract conception; Enesco manages to be incorporate the Romanian flavor without making it into a kind of superficial exoticism; and at times, Enesco does reveal an adventurousness in the piece that touches upon a modernism that reminds me slightly of something along the liens of Prokofiev. Of course, Enesco was also a master violinist, and so the piece also showcases the dynamic musical and emotional range of the instrument.

Of course, I'm bias and will always have a special place for this particular work as it became (quite arbitrarily) my first Isaac Stern recording; the one that made me aware of his expressive and warm Romantic style and technical mastery of the violin.

Even so, if anything I've stated above has appealed to your musical tastes, I think that you will find either the Stern or Menuhin recordings of the Enesco's "Sonata #3 for Violin and Piano; to be Played in the Popular Romanian Style" to be to your liking.

Isaac Stern appears with his standard accompanist, Alexander Zakin; while Yehudi Menuhin appears with his "sometimes" accompanist and sister, Hephzibah Menuhin.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:07:00 AM PST
Skaynan says:
Joe: very interesting. What Enesco would you recommend for a newbie such as myself?

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:43:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 4:57:12 AM PST
Joe Anthony says:
It's interesting how the Romanian composer (who was also an outstanding violinist), Georges Enesco (sometimes spelled "Enescu") made three people's "top 25" lists; albeit with different works. For R. Kopp it's the Octet; for Wyote it's "Oedipe"; and for me it's the Sonata #3 for Violin and Piano played in the popular Romanian style.

Along the same line; Enesco's "Romanian Rhapsody #1" seems to have been a popular "pops" number that conductors must have loved because it was recorded not only by Arthur Feidler, but also Eugene Ormandy and Leonard Bernstein; and as it is often coupled with the orchestral versions of Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsodies #1 & 2"; I must admit that I always secretly enjoyed Enesco's "Romanian Rhapsody #1" a bit more.

I always thought that my liking for certain pieces by Enesco was something of an idiosyncrasy as he's probably not considered to be a major composer anywhere outside of Romania, but, perhaps that merits further discussion.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:58:50 PM PST
Wyote says:
a first approximation (apologies in advance):

1. Black Angels - Kronos Q
2. Golijov: Dreams & Prayers of Isaac the Blind - Kronos Q
3. Piazzolla: 5 Tango Sensations - Kronos Q
4. Takemitsu: From Me Flows - St. Claire
5. Glass: Aguas da Amazonia
6. Faure: Piano Quintets - Domus
7. Albeniz, Granados - Larrocha (Decca)
8. Rachmaninoff: Trios - Beaux Arts
9. Janacek: On an Overgrown Path, etc. - Firkusny
10. Bach: Harpsichord Concertos - Perahia
11. Nono: Como una ola de fuerza y luz, etc. - Pollini
12. Canteloube: Chants d'Auvernge - Victoria de los Angeles
13. Enescu: Oedipe - Foster
14. Gesualdo: Tenebrae - Hilliard
15. Zelenka: Missa Votiva - Luks
16. Handel: Recorder Sonatas - Petri, Jarrett
17. Gombert: Magnificats - Tallis Scholars
18. Bartok: String Quartets - Takacs Q
18. Rzewski: People United - Hamelin
19. Taneyev: Piano Quintet, Trio - Pletnev
20. Reich: Music for 18 (ECM)
21. Scarlatti: Sonatas - Ross
22. Janacek: Glagolitic Mass, Tagebuch - Kubelik
23. Borodin, Glazunov, Arensky - Nash Ensemlbe
24. Bruch: Violin Concerto, Scottish F - Rosand
25. Kodaly: Hary Janos - Kertesz

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 2:03:34 PM PST
Edgar Self says:
Interesting No. 22, Larry VanDeSande, and a rare mention, or rather non-mention, of Alfred Cortot, who accompanies Gerard Souzay in their 1956 "Dichterliebe" with Flagstad and Furtwaengler's premiere performance of Richard Strauss's "Four Last Songs", regrettably in execrable sound on that Turnabout LP that I also have, and with the last 20 seconds cut off, thus losing the most beautiful perfect cadence of the 20th century. Their performance is now on Testament in listenable sound and coomplete clear through to the end.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 2:00:46 PM PST
R. Schroeder says:
Nothing too surprising here (I wish there was), but this is it for me:

Bach - Cello Suites - Rostropovich
Bach - Goldberg Variations - Perahia
Bach - Mass in B Minor - Herrewedge
Beethoven - Piano Sonatas - Alfred Brendel (first philips recording)
Beethoven - String Quartets - Cleveland Quartet
Beethoven - Symphonies - Barenboim
Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, Tristia - Boulez
Brahms - Complete Trios - Beaux Arts Trio
Brahms - Piano Concertos - Gilels/Jochum
Brahms - Symphonies - Rattle
Bruckner - Symphonies - Wand
Chopin - Etudes - Perahia
Chopin - Nocturnes - Ashkenazy
Dvorak - String Quartets - Praguer Quartett
Dvorak - Symphny No. 9 - Solti; Chicago
Mahler - Symphonies and Orchestral Songs - Bernstein DG
Mozart - Piano Concertos - Ashkenazy
Mozart - Requiem - Herrewedge
Mozart - String Quartets - Hagen Quartet
Schubert - Late Quartets - Emerson String Quartet
Schubert - Mitsuko Uchida Plays Schubert
Shostakovich - Preludes & Fugues - Sherbakov
Shostakovich - String Quartets - Emerson String Quartet
Sibelius - Symphonies - Jarvi
Strauss - Five Great Tone Poems - Haitink

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:53:30 PM PST
My list is heavily biased towards my five favorite composers - Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin - only Dowland and Telemann get an entry each.

Bach Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin - Holloway or the first Kuijken

Bach: Orchestral Suites -- Savall

Pinnock Brandenburgs on Avie -- or Savall

Bach English suites Gould (yes, I prefer it to the Goldbergs)

Bach Schiff Partitas for piano

Bach : Violin concertos Kuijken

Bach: Motets, Gardiner on Warner

Beethoven Razumovskies Italiano

Beethoven Eroica --Bruggen on Glossa - brand new 2011 recording

Beethoven Cello sonatas Gulda Fournier

Beethoven : Spring sonata Melnikov/Faust

Beethoven Emperor Brendel/Rattle VPO
Gould/Stokowski is a current fave though, but too weird to be "the only one" (not that I know what that even means...)
and the Zimerman/Bernstein DVD is great

Beethoven Pathetique Paul Lewis

Kleiber Beethoven 5 and 7
Immerseel and Gardiner Beethoven 7 and 8

Chopin Nocturnes Barenboim

Chopin : Piano concertos Argerich Dutoit

Dowland : Lachrimae -- Musica Antiqua Koln

Haydn : Haydn: Piano Concertinos; String Trios from Naxos -- I know it's a weird favorite, but it was "love from first spin" for me...

Haydn : Paris Symphonies , Harnoncourt

Haydn : 101 Clock - Norrington on Virgin

Haydn : Lark, Fifths, Serenad,, Q. Italiano

Haydn : Piano concertos -- Brautigam

Mozart : Piano concerto 21 -- Barenboim BPO

Mozart : Jupiter symphony -- Immerseel or Mackerras SCO

Mozart : Symphony 29-- Mackerras SCO

Mozart : Prussian quartets - Emerson

Mozart: String Qunitets - Grumiaux and friends

Telemann : Tafelmusik book 1 -- Florilegium

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:38:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 6:53:43 AM PST
1. J.S. Bach The Brandenburg Concertos Collegium Aureum
2. Switched On Bach/Wendy Carlos
3. Bach Magnificat/Purcell Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary/Geraint Jones (EMI/Angel LP never released on CD)
4. Bach Cantatas BWV 51, 56 and 82/Fischer Dieskau, Auger, Rilling (Hannsler CD Nr. 98.855)
5. J.S. Bach: St. Matthew Passion in English
6. Beethoven Symphonies 1-9/Ansermet OSR (available on three threefer CDs)
7. Beethoven Piano Trios/Suk Trio
8. Bruckner Symphonies 1-9 Eugen Jochum
9. La Mer / Daphnis & Chloe Suite 2/Stokowski
10. Haydn Masses/Guest et al
11. Krommer Partita for Winds/Netherlands Wind Ensemble (Philips LP 1977 never released on CD)
12. György Ligeti Kammerkonzert; Ramifications; Lux aeterna; Atmosphères
13. Liszt Great Symphonic Poems though I liked it better on the London LP
14. Mozart Serenades for Winds K. 375 and K. 378/Arthur Winograd (Heliodor LP from the 1950s)
15. Mendelssohn Elijah
16. Mendelssohn Trio 1/Brahms Trio 3/Suk Trio (Quintessence LP PMC-7148)
17. Mendelssohn Sextet in D/Borodin Quintet in C minor/Vienna Octet (London CS 6636 LP never on CD)
18. Resphigi Fountains of Rome/Debussy Jeux/Sabata (RCA Victor LP available today on CD)
19. Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade; Russian Easter Overture Stokowski
20. Rossini Messe di Gloria/Handt (Philips LP 6500 612 NLA on CD)
21. St. Saens Violin Concerto No. 3/Paganini-Kresiler Concerto in One Movement/Campoli violin (London STS 15142 LP never on CD)
22. Strauss Four Last Songs/Flagstad with Schumann Dichterliebe/Souzay (Turnabout TV 34830 LP)
23. Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 / Glazunov: Violin Concerto
24. Vaughan Wiliams Symphony No. 4 (no particular preference to a single recording; have owned dozens)
25. Wagner: Die Walküre (Act 1; Act 2, Scenes 3 & 5) Bruno Walter

Honorable mention:
26. Mozart Mass in C Minor Colin Davis
27. Chamber Music of the Young Beethoven (Das Alte Werk LP redone on CD at Haydn House)
28. Beethoven Symphonies 1-9 Norrington (EMI 1985)
29. Brahms Symphony 4 Furtwangler (October 1948)
30. Haydn Symphonies Dorati

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:42:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:35 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:39:31 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:35 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Bargain MP3 thread 3401 10 minutes ago
However much I may love this site.....(Volume IV) 6181 4 hours ago
A tricky one... 3 4 hours ago
Upcoming Releases 2459 5 hours ago
What Are You Listening To Right Now? - Part XIII 3325 6 hours ago
Robert Simpson 2 7 hours ago
Sports Talk 290 8 hours ago
What books are you reading right now? 7554 10 hours ago
bulletin board 5645 11 hours ago
Post-Tonal vs Tonal Fuddy-Duddyism 39 12 hours ago
Diary. What Did You Do Today? 7144 13 hours ago
What's on order? (Volume II) 787 14 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions