Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 131 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 8:43:59 PM PDT
KenOC says:
More good news -- Wonder Bread is back as well! Yes, the stuff my kids used to call "air bread."

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/wonder-bread-returns-shore-shelves-4B11236674

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 11:40:11 AM PDT
Well, I sampled my first Twinkies in many years yesterday evening. Perhaps the buildup and anticipation was too much for this modest product to live up to. They seemed to be quite tasteless and almost bland to me! And since they're only selling them (as far as I know) in packages of 10 now, I still have 8 of them to dispose of. I hate to waste them so I'll scarf them down over the next few days, but that will be it for me! I am wondering if they will be successful once the initial publicity goes away?

Now, the Hostess Cup Cakes were much better. Of course, I'm a big chocolate lover, so that probably explains it. But if I buy any more of these crazy things, it will probably be the cup cakes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 9:14:40 AM PDT
Roeselare says:
The old wives club has a different definition of twinkie.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 8:48:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2013 8:49:57 PM PDT
Ken, that solves it. Let me return the favor. I don't buy Certs anymore. The issue of what to call just one of them is too hard. And the circumlocution solution I came up with was also too hard and too annoying. I was saying: "Would you like one piece from a roll of Certs?". That got me nowhere. So I switched to Breath Savers.

Nobody says: "I had one Breath Savers".

If you have some 401k assets in Certs, you might consider moving them to Breath Savers. Unless they are made by the same company, in which case it doesn't matter because the paradigm is National Grid, which provides electricity and natural gas via overhead wires and/or in-ground pipes to a huge chunk of SE New England. Whatever you want to use to heat your house and boil water for tea, they have it covered. They don't much care how I pronounce it. I don't think they offer wood and coal, which are starting to look more attractive. Not to mention that I already know how to use "wood" and "coal" in simple sentences.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 7:11:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2013 7:34:59 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Angelo, the full-size Twinkies are called "Twinks." About the size of a loaf of bread. They're hard to find. In that case, at least, the singular is "Twink."

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 6:53:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2013 6:55:01 PM PDT
A package of ten Twinkies contains ten Twinkies. How about one of them? Is it a Twinkie or is it a Twinkies?

If you're having only one, do you say: "I had a Twinkie for dessert"---or do you say: "I had a Twinkies for dessert".

This is a variation on the basic---indeed, quasi-existential---dilemma with Certs breath mints. You buy a roll of Certs. No issue there. But you don't consume a roll all at once. Well, doubtless there are those who would do that, but that is subject for another thread altogether. This is a serious thread on Twinkies, so we need to stay on point.

OK then: You have Certs one piece at a time. How do you refer to that one piece? "I had a Certs". OR, "I had a Cert".

My wife says the only correct locution is "I had a Cert". If you had just one.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 3:07:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2013 3:07:22 PM PDT
KenOC says:
An early Twinkies report. My wife bought a box of 10 today (only size they had). Individually wrapped, $3.99 of 40 cents each. Look the same, taste the same.

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 2:51:09 PM PDT
Good news! Finally made it to Wal Mart today and what do you know - the Hostess display was the first thing I saw as I walked in to the store, stacks of Twinkies, Hostess Cup Cakes, and whatever else they are now selling!

I'll have a couple of Twinkies this evening and report forthwith.

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 8:22:38 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Phil in Magnolia

It's your duty to science!

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 6:47:22 PM PDT
I will make it my mission to find and consume sufficient quantity of new Twinkie product so that I may report back to the forum this weekend with my evaluation.

To date each grocery visit has found empty shelves; apparently the demand has exceeded supply at first... I am hoping equilibrium has been reached now...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2013 6:30:27 PM PDT
KenOC says:
The only way they could be better!

http://onelite.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/deep-fried-twinkies.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2013 3:13:42 PM PDT
KenOC says:
"1930! I had no idea Twinkies were that old."

Yep. Great shelf life, huh? ;-)

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 3:01:37 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
KenOC

1930! I had no idea Twinkies were that old.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2013 2:44:09 PM PDT
KenOC says:
"...they were spongy and tasteless..."

Twinkies have been hailed as an American culinary masterpiece ever since they were invented in 1930. You will certainly be haunted by the ghost of James Alexander Dewar!

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 2:34:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2013 2:35:41 PM PDT
<<So, how about it, folks? Do they taste the same? Has America's honor been upheld? >>>
have you ever had a twinkie?
they were spongy and tasteless filled with 'cream' which is best described as sugared lard.
America's honor in the snack cake arena was only established when hostess went under...

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 1:33:01 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Well, of course, the important question here is do the new Twinkies and Hostess Cup Cakes taste the same as in the past? Since I can no longer eat treats like these, I can't do my own field work, no matter how much I wish that I could.

So, how about it, folks? Do they taste the same? Has America's honor been upheld?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 1:44:35 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Actually I'm not a Twinkie fan...

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 1:17:27 PM PDT
It sounds like Ken is the expert, and he has already sampled one (or more) - Ken, what do you think? Is bigger, better?

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 12:22:43 PM PDT
I am led to believe that the new Twinkie is slightly smaller than the old version. Is this a case of caveat emptor?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 10:54:21 AM PDT
Jacky, many thanks. Apparently I'm conflating the two-cupcakes Hostess package with a three-cupcakes package by another manufacturer. OK, then, we have a clarification---and another mystery.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 1:28:41 AM PDT
KenOC says:
The first review!
-----------------------------------
It didn't look any different than the previous version. The golden yellow color was the same as it had been, and it didn't smell any different. The cream filling was white and very smooth, and as creamy and sweet as ever. The sponge cake looked pretty much as it always had, but it was drier and not as soft.

The new Twinkie seemed to have less chemical aftertaste than the version that disappeared from shelves eight months ago: a bit surprising, since the shelf life has been extended from 14 days to 45. But the cake wasn't as fresh-tasting as the version I remember from my days at Continental Baking.

Still, it was a reasonable facsimile of the cream-filled snack cake that generations of moms packed in their kids' lunches, and I feel certain America will take the new Twinkie into its heart as it did the original more than 80 years ago.

But I can't help wondering: Will they taste as good when they're 45 days old?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2013 11:50:19 PM PDT
<<<Angelo - I can vaguely remember two cupcakes per package. Three? Not sure. >>>
I seem to recall the same 2 cupcakes.
I also recall that there was a brand that had three cupcakes to a pack, but it wasn't hostess...

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 10:37:25 PM PDT
p.s. can you believe we are over 100 posts on the subject of Twinkies?

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 10:35:33 PM PDT
Angelo - I can vaguely remember two cupcakes per package. Three? Not sure.

Next thing you know we'll be taking these individually wrapped cupcakes and setting them on the counter to see if we can line them up in the order they were frosted...

Ok we've established classical music to eat Twinkies by, but I'm not sure that is completely appropriate for the cupcakes. Chocolate vs yellow cake, etc. So, in a desperate attempt to get us back into at least a modicum of classical discussion - what do we listen to while pondering the frosting technique on our Hostess Cup Cakes??

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2013 9:22:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2013 9:24:08 PM PDT
Phil, it's in our DNA now, and I don't think we can change it. I really hope the new Twinkies will be as you remember them.

As for the Hostess frosting application method, I wonder now---could I be thinking of another, perhaps bygone brand of three-pack cupcakes frosted from end to end? Didn't Hostess do it that way in the classic period? Is my memory playing games with me?

I'm certain that in that same classic period they did not package the three cupcakes individually within the three-pack transparent cellophane outer wrapper. You opened the outer wrapper and there they were, ready for you with no further barriers: Three perfectly-frosted cupcakes with no breaks in the frosting line.

Is there a Hostess Cupcakes historian/expert reading this thread? Can you help us out?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  131
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions