Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

The most famous recordings you DON'T yet own

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:23:25 PM PST
You are welcome, Angelo - hope you enjoy the Kempff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:14:23 PM PST
Rasmus, thanks. I just ordered that Kempff Beethoven for 44 cents. I do have his Schubert sonatas box but have never ventured into his Beethoven. (I have Schnabel's and Goode's sets.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:22:04 AM PST
Thanks for your Schumann input, Jacky.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:54:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 9:00:55 AM PST
But everyone seems to love Gardiner's Schumann.>>>
second choice for me, I'm a sawallich fan on that one.... I do like the 'completeness' factor and there is a deeper understanding of the works with gardiner, but old school still has me in the grips for these sort of things...

Schumann: Sym Nos 1 - 4 / Overture

seems too expensive these days.
almost as good
Rafael Kubelik Conducts Great Symphonies is a few dollars cheaper and contains the last six symphonies of mozart and bruckner to 3-4.....(wagner siegfried idyll hidden in there as well)
It is the greatest recording of schumann symphony cycle hidden in a bargain box.

I also have the eshenbach(on virgin, didn't he record it again?), solti,bernstein (columbia/sony) and the earlier Kubelik on DG to compare.
but the sawillicsh, second kubelik and gardiner keep me happier than those others.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 8:26:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 8:26:50 AM PST
Thanks MacDoom
I didn't know Thielemann had recorded Schumann - now he is a contender (since the hipsters haven't really overwhelmed me I might try the opposite approach...)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 8:08:24 AM PST
MacDoom says:
Rasmus,

Not everyone. Mine's a not universally popular choice, and as un-HIP as they get, but I love them: Thielemann.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 7:01:32 AM PST
I still don't have Karajan's Tchaikovsky symphonies and I may not need them since I am very happy with Muti and Pappano.

I still don't have W. Savallich's EMI Schumann symphonies. I have Harnoncourt and Gardiner and so far I must say the the music hasn't inspired me. I don't know if it is the recordings or the music itself. But everyone seems to love Gardiner's Schumann.
Schumann: Symphonies Nos. 1-4; Overture, Scherzo & Finale

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:57:38 AM PST
Angelo

You can get a CD with the most famous sonatas from the DG stereo Kempff Beethoven cycle for 50 cents - worth trying I would say:
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 8, 14, 21 & 23

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 8:21:30 PM PDT
K.J. McGilp says:
There is alot of chamber music I don't own. The Beethoven late quartets, Shostakovich Quartets, and quite a bit more.
I'm not huge on opera, although I do have several acclaimed opera recordings. The repertoire is so vast and the recordings are quite expensive. I appreciate these mediums greatly but there is only so much money and time.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 4:33:00 AM PDT
I now have every thing I ever wanted except...........no I really dont need that.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 4:56:16 PM PDT
There are plenty of famous recordings that I don't have, but then again, my collection is only around 200 albums / box sets.

Antal Dorati / Minneapolis recordings
Bruno Walter's Mahler and Bruckner
Ferenc Fricsay conducting the Dvorak Violin Concerto
George Szell conducting Don Quixote
Wilhelm Furtwanglers Beethoven and Brahms recordings (1994 Eroica, 1954 9th and 1951 Brahms 1st)
George Szell / Cleveland Sibelius 2nd
George Szell / Marcellus / Cleveland Mozart Clarinet Concerto
Szell Mahler 4
Jochum Bruckner
Fritz Reiner Vienna Waltzes
Ormandy Tchaikovsky 5th and 6th, String Serenade
Dorati Tchaikovsky / Brahms with the LSO

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 4:52:19 PM PDT
ABM -

IMO, you're not missing a damned thing....

Bill

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 12:47:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 12:52:19 PM PDT
David M. says:
@Piso Mojado

The Horowitz Rach 3s are in a class of their own, my favorites being the 1951 w/ Reiner and the 1941 w/ Barbirolli. Demonic intensity! There was a new recording this year, very much in the Horowitz mold, by young German pianist Joseph Moog.

Rachmaninov & Rubinstein: Piano Concertos

As for the most famous recordings I don't own: probably the 1962 Beethoven cycle by Karajan.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:41:10 AM PDT
Thanks Jacky, I will get that Solti Beethoven box in an updated format!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 4:08:16 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Everyone interested in works like the Tchaikovsky first and Rachmaninoff third concertos needs to hear Horowitz play them to realise how effective they can be. He owned both. Rachmaninoff himself stopped playing his own third concerto after he heard Horowitz. "That belongs to Gorowitz", he said, as he always called him, G for the H that doesn't exist in Russian.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 3:15:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 4:34:13 PM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
A. B. Mendillo says:

I don't have Kempff's Beethoven sonatas set (there are two: mono and stereo), nor do I have Backhaus's. And I never did get the Quartetto Italiano's Beethoven cycle. Ridiculous failings on my part; I confess them here.
===============
Angelo

@ 7 years ago I ADDED PIANO FREAK TO OPERA NUT. I own all 4 sets and I spent mucho for the
Backaus CORRECTION MONO. I regret not a cent. What masters both are.

Regards-John

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 2:54:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 2:56:13 PM PDT
I don't have Kempff's Beethoven sonatas set (there are two: mono and stereo), nor do I have Backhaus's. And I never did get the Quartetto Italiano's Beethoven cycle. Ridiculous failings on my part; I confess them here.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:24:38 PM PDT
Beethoven: The Symphonies [Box Set] Chicago 72-75 >>>
Sir Georg Solti & Chicago Symphony - Beethoven: Nine Symphonies - rare London Stereo 9LP box set.
that is the set I had on vinyl. Yeah 9LP's the symphonies and three overtures...
I learned Beethoven from endless playings of it over and over...
i think it is great, but I'm obviously biased.

HE takes EVERY REPEAT...
this might make it a 'must have' or 'deal breaker' in some circles.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 12:47:26 PM PDT
RE: Solti

The Unfinished Schubert symphony didn't make sense to me before I heard Solti's recording. I also like his conducting on the Beethoven concertos with Ashkenazy. I have his Mozart symphonies somewhere, but he probably should have just stayed away from them.

I have been thinking about getting his Beethoven symphonies.
Is this his best cycle?:
Beethoven: The Symphonies [Box Set] Chicago 72-75

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 12:28:34 PM PDT
Dmitri says:
I have avoided a lot of recordings with Solti conducting. I have heard him conduct in many things on the radio. I even bought his Mahler set. His interpretations are solid to the point of being ordinary.

One exception I made of Solti was getting Decca Eloquence 2fer with the 13th and 15th symphonies of Shostakovich. Anthony Hopkins (the actor) reads each of the Yevtushenko poems in the 13th symphony which might be enough for some people to buy it. The Solti Shostakovich 15th was almost the last recording that he ever made.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 12:16:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 12:16:55 PM PDT
Piso

That was the one I was thinking of (Ormandy). I didn't know about the Mehta, but it is out of print or rather it looks like it has never been released on DVD. The only version I have of the third is the Ashkenazy/Previn. In general I have a problem with Ashkenazy's slow movements - I don't hear the sublime poetry in them that I hear from other pianists (I have his solo Chopin, Rachmaninov concertos and Beethoven concertos).

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 11:55:03 AM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Rasmus -- Of several Rachmaninoff Thirds by Horowitz available, the best-souding to me is the one he made with Ormandy in 1976 or 1977, A few days later he made a video of it with Zubin Mehta, so you can also see him play it. This isn't a universally9 popular choice, as many prefer his 1941 with Reiner.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 11:50:28 AM PDT
I still don't have the Horowitz Rach 3.

Initial post: Oct 19, 2012 9:15:07 AM PDT
This has been a very popular thread on British amazon, so I figured I would import it.

I changed recordings from singular to plural.

Here is the original thread:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/classical%20music/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2OIXGG1AOK3Z9&cdThread=Tx26M40DXAD8LXA
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Oct 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions