Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

The Arrest of Stravinsky

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2012 8:16:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2012 3:45:50 PM PST
sound_notes says:
I came across the following; a supposed 1940 mugshot of Igor Stravinsky by the Boston Police Dept.

http://mugshots.com/Historical/Igor-Stravinsky.html

This caption states this photo was supposedly just released to the public in December 2011 under the Freedom of Information Act.

Okay, I never heard of Stravinsky being arrested for anything, so I naturally go to Wikipedia that states of claims that Stravinsky was arrested in 1944 (sic) for re-harmonizing the Start Spangled Banner are "myth".

I know little about Stravinsky so I'm asking you all, is this photo a fake (or someone else)? The dude appears to have a black eye!

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 8:49:08 PM PST
Sorry, I dion't know anything about it. But dang, writing an arrangment of the star spangled banner? That is one heinous crime there...

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 8:49:09 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 17, 2012 8:49:17 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 8:38:05 AM PST
Auntie Lynn says:
i have heard Stravinsky's arrangement of the SSB and it is the best one out there, the voice-leading is a miracle - he actually makes something out of this rather obtuse number...

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 9:43:06 AM PST
Thomas E. says:
Schwammerl: "Sorry, I dion't know anything about it. But dang, writing an arrangment of the star spangled banner? That is one heinous crime there..."

There was a huge outcry in Norway as recently as 1976, when a Swedish jazz musician named Arne Domnérus and his sextett played a jazz version of our national anthem. It was actually banned, and wasn't released here on cd until last year. National anthems are serious business!

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 9:47:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2012 9:56:33 AM PST
John Spinks says:
Probably only Stravinsky and Robert Craft know the truth of the matter, but (for what it's worth, from wiki.answers.com) --

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Was_Igor_Stravinsky_arrested_for_his_star_spangled_banner

Of course, you find a trove of sites that say he was arrested....and an equal one saying he wasn't. I did not find any legitimate music site or scholar that confirmed the arrest.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 9:53:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 2:22:26 PM PDT
Edgar Self says:
Auntie Lynn -- You probably know there's a solo-piano version of "The Star Spangled Banner" by Rachmaninoff, who recorded it on a piano-roll. Van Cliburn started his recitals with it, playing standing up with Baptist revival walking octaves for the last refrain. Thunderous!

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 10:16:35 AM PST
if that mug shot is faked they did an excellent job.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 12:14:21 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 8:59:08 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 12:23:30 PM PST
KenOC says:
Bach was arrested for a street fight.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 2:12:35 PM PST
K. Beazley says:
"But dang, writing an arrangment of the star spangled banner? That is one heinous crime there..."

On that basis Roseanne Barr should've got life.

Kim.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 3:42:49 PM PST
"I know little about Stravinsky so I'm asking you all, is this photo a fake (or not someone else)? The dude appears to have a black eye! "

Stravinsky was a great guy. He loved Scotch and his girlfriend. He lived through the Russian Revolution and fled from Nazis in the second world war. That's enough to give a dude a black eye for life.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 4:29:01 PM PST
John Ruggeri says:
I think anyone who criticizes this performance as mere showing -off SHOULD BE JAILED:-)

Horowitz-Sousa Stars and Stripes Forever Transcription
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uNh3Um7LaM

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 5:09:35 PM PST
>Bach was arrested for a street fight.<

Mick Jagger sings about this legendary fight "Street Fightin' Man". It was a competition between Bach and Stravinsky's Firebird. The Firebird won, gaining such fame that Stravinsky wrote the subsequent ballet in honor. The Firebird was a celebrity of immense proportion, but did not handle fame well. After indictment for involvement in a ponzi scheme, Pontiac dropped the popular model of automobile namesaked for the bird. The Heidi Fleiss involvement was the coup de grace, and the Firebird's grandness lives only in Stravinsky's ballet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 5:15:05 PM PST
In France that would render a mild sentence. Far less than choosing an improper wine.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 7:51:38 PM PST
I seem to recall reading that that photograph was made when Stravinsky was renewing his residency; at the time, all resident aliens got police photographs.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 8:08:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2012 8:10:12 PM PST
http://straysnippets.blogspot.com/2010/05/yesterday-boing-boing-posted-mugshot-of.html

according to this website,
it wasn't for the star spangled banner.
the photo was taken in '40, the star spangled banner incident 44.

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 1:26:17 AM PST
Was it the Stravinsky arrangement that Jimmy Hendrix used?

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 7:25:30 AM PST
i read (forget where) that they threatened to arrest him if he did not stop rehearsing it. the authorities felt that a russian "messing" with the SSB was uncool. what an awesome arrangement, though! some of the harmonies are wonderful, like during "the rocket's red glare." of course, now-a-days you can do anything to it like, as someone mentioned, rosanne.

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 12:13:00 PM PST
Auntie Lynn says:
Si si, Sr. Mojado - Van played it the LAST time he was in SF - it was at the Opera House so you know how long ago that was. Robert Commanday gave it a thumbs down and pretty much excoriated the whole recital (Alexis Weissenberg was in the audience...)...

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 3:19:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2012 3:21:53 PM PST
Larkenfield says:
In a larger blow-up, Stravinsky looks a little
beat-up to me too with a possible black eye
and facial nicks here and there. The pic doesn't
look like it's related to something musical,
but perhaps to something like an accident of
some kind or maybe a spat with Coco Chanel. ;)
(Just kidding about Coco, though Igor supposedly
had his share of affairs over the years.)

http://tinyurl.com/8aarubs

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 3:26:22 PM PST
KenOC says:
One site says, "...it may be a photo of Igor Stravinsky taken by the Boston PD, but it's not actually a mugshot, just a snapshot they took for his visa renewal."

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 5:08:06 PM PST
Auntie Lynn says:
Eckshully, they were detaining scores of incoming folks in those days, figured they were all Nazi spies...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 9:52:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 9:54:28 AM PST
Edgar Self says:
Auntie Lynn -- I remember Van Cliburn playing a program of three sonatas at San Francisco Opera House and starting with the National Anthem. I swear he played it standing up. I think they were Liszt, Mendelssohn, and Rachmaninoff sonatas. His usual encores then were Szymanowski's concert-etude in B-flat minor, Op. 4; and Schumann-Liszt "Widmung". Sometimes the tenth Hungarian Rhapsody. He played Szymanowski's etude better than either Malcuczynski or Szymanowski himself. It's on his "Encores" CD.

Robert Commanday was a good writer and music-critic, but a very bad flutist. I think he aso conducted a chorus in the East Bay, and turned up at Len Sperry's private concerts in Sperry's octagonal music room on Belvidere Island. It could hold a full orchestra, soloists, and chorus. Erik Eriksen used to attend the rehearsals with his wife, who sang in the chorus.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:02:54 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 8:59:10 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions