Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

iTunes Match

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 3:39:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 4:34:46 AM PST
Skaynan says:
I took the plunge (and payd 25$) to check out iTunes Match. My impressions are generally positive, I particularly like the fact that any music I upload is automatically licensed to me, even if many of the tracks were originally "borrowed" from friends or otherwise got in my way... Guess record labels are desperate indeed.

But one thing that is strange, and maybe someone here knows: Obviously iTunes Match was not designed with CM in mind, and I think that's why it's so cheap, considering the HUGE amount of music I uploaded; a typical CM track is much, much longer then almost any other music's "track", surely when comparing with popular music. So it turns out I uploaded the maximum amount of 25,000 tracks, that amounts to more than 250gigs! that's much more cloud storage then you get for 25$ anywhere (for comparison, Dropbox upgrade to 100gigs cost 100$ a year). Still, it's not enough for serious collections (mine has more then 100,000 tracks in it), but after sorting out what I want to have in there it works quite fine.

Here's the strange thing:
They call it "iTunes Match" because Apple tryes to "Match" the tracks you have with the music in their own database, so you don't actually have to upload the tracks. Instead, when you play your music on any device, you get the "matched" tracks from apple. It works just fine for popular music.
But for CM? no such luck. I think the vast majority of my tracks were actually uploaded (and it took more then a week of serious bandwidth-hogging!) even though most recordings are available in the iTunes store. Very strange. Anyone encountered this or have an explanation?

On a side note: I venture a guess: if the tracks are not "matched", then the rights owner (the record label\artist etc) doesn't get payed either. Now that's EXTREMELY weird. You can see how they don't care much about their customers time and bandwidth, but not to care about not getting paid? generosity? I don't think so. Just plain oversight. I believe there is a real legal issue here: They license the tracks to me without paying the rightful rights holder. And how can they pay, if they can't identify my music? Hence they can get sued. Did I say "strange"?

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:01:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:47 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:34:29 AM PST
Except that for the same price, Amazon gives you ten times as much storage. Although I will admit that I'm mystified that hardly any of my CD's have matched, even things that I know are available from Amazon for download.

Bill

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:51:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 5:56:34 AM PST
Skaynan says:
"Amazon gives you ten times as much storage."

How much storage they give? Do you also get the rights to the music as if you actually bought it, like Apple claim they do?

I must say that for me, the decision to go with Apple's cloud was simple: I use an iPhone, and the seamless integration with the music player was a big deciding factor for me and my wife. Other services are either unavailable on the platform or force you to use a dedicated "app" which makes it all feel much more complicated to use.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:08:00 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 8:48:21 AM PST
March -

I think that you may be confusing Amazon Cloud Player and Cloud Storage. The former is limited to 250,000 "songs". Amazon purchases don't count.

BTW, 20 gig is not very much for music, which takes up a lot of space.

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:06:43 AM PST
The issue of "ownership" means nothing to me. Why do i need a "license" for a recording? What I upload are CD's are CD's from my own collection, or broadcasts, or my own LP transfers.

I also have an iPhone, and I dislike iTunes and iMatch, which I find hopelessly buggy. The only downsides to Amazon's Cloud Player are issues about cover art (mostly lack of control), and the fact that you have to rip a CD before you can upload. But with a good ripping program, that's not a huge deal.

Bill

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:10:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 9:10:28 AM PST
Skaynan says:
William: for each his own. For me, the rights are important, and the fact you have to rip the actual CD (as opposed to just scan an already-ripped and tagged digital library) is a definite show stopper.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:58:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 3:30:07 PM PST
Rustic says:
welcome to iTunes match! i did this almost a year ago and i must say that the idea of pulling out a cd and putting it in a player seems archaic to me now. i have my whole collection at my fingertips. i can take my iphone to bed and listen to any of thousands of pieces through headphones. my laptop is now my stereo. i see icons of all of my cds on file. for me, i have just under 10,000 songs with still more to upload but those waiting aren't any emergency to me to hear lately.

here are some things to keep in mind with itunes match:
1. when you play music from your computer, laptop, or apple tv, you stream the music as it plays. a lovely thing.
2. when however you play music from your iphone or iPad you don't stream. the music downloads to your device while you are listening. why? probably for your protection. if you are out and about listening to music using 3g, you will rack up an immense bill (since you're using your data plan minutes). so....using your iphone or iPad at home over wifi will be no problem because you are on wifi. but if you decide to go out of wifi range decide what music you want on your phone and let it download at home. sounds a little problematic but not really. you can hold so much music on your iphone that you won't get bored.
3. go to settings/general/cellular/and on that page look at "use cellular data for:" and make sure itunes is switched to off (should be preset this way anyway) this prevents you from accidentally leaving the house while downloading something and having it continue to download using 3g (again, big bill) (unless of course you have unlimited then i suppose it won't matter).
4. i've condensed most of my library to single cds. so my box sets that showed up at 10 or more disks now are all under one disc icon. when you buy from iTunes even a 40 disc set will all come under one cd icon but when you upload all of the discs yourself they separate into several cds. kind of a lot of work for something like that complete brahms set. it had 60 cds but i recently rearranged to cut the number in half. now i click on one cd and get all of mozart's symphonies, all of beethoven's piano sonatas, quartets, symphonies, etc.
5. my biggest complaint is album art. i just did the itunes upgrade (which i love so much more) and lost a lot of album art. there's a way to get it back but you have to do each cd one at a time (which i just finished doing this morning)

these are things i learned along the way. as soon as you get the concept of your computer can stream and your mobile devices download while listening so don't do this over 3g to avoid a big bill, you should find it very convenient. i still love opening up itunes and seeing all of those beautiful little squares (cd covers) as icons waiting for me to click like a mad dog.

by the way, i'm sure you know that although you have reached the limit, if you buy from iTunes it doesn't count as part of the 25,000, it's a freebee. this actually prompted me to make sure i had the best updated recordings for my favorite music instead of taking up some of the 25,000 with unwanted cds. for example, while i was uploading all of my music i figured it was worth the money and effort to dump the less than desirable recordings and performances and purchase the more desirable ones. i had some turkeys in my collection that i was more than happy to replace.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 10:39:21 AM PST
KenOC says:
"For me, the rights are important."

There are rights and rights. My understanding of iTunes purchases, for instance, is that you can't sell them or even give them away. You can't even will them to your kids! I'm sure there are other restrictions also, which should be in the agreement you accepted (via a click) somewhere along the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 12:34:09 PM PST
I guess I'm not sure what exactly these "rights" provide. If I buy the CD, I own it. If I buy the download, I own the download. That's about it.

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 12:36:45 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:17:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 1:17:21 PM PST
Aha! That's a better deal...

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:24:01 PM PST
KenOC says:
March, on Amazon do they still mess up the tags on music you store there?

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 1:29:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 1:34:18 PM PST
Skaynan says:
"I guess I'm not sure what exactly these "rights" provide."

The way I understand it (I'm not a lawyer...) is that iTunes Match gives you the "rights" to all the music you have as if you bought the actual music; that is to say, your collection becomes perfectly legal. Consequently, they pay the appropriate percentage from the money you put in (25$ a year) to the owner (record label). That's par the deal Apple cut with all the major labels (hence my comment in the OP that the record labels must be really desperate).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:02:53 PM PST
The metadata is only as good as what you upload. I use dBPoweramp for ripping, which gives me pretty complete control over that metadata.

Album covers are, alas, another story...

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:36:00 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:48 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:47:50 PM PST
KenOC says:
Thanks March. I use Amazon's cloud only for backup storage of Amazon purchases, nothing else. Of course that's free. Sounds like that strategy will remain!

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:01:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 12:15:36 AM PST
Skaynan says:
March and Ken: iTunes much does somehow preserve all your metadata, even for matched tracks. You can also edit it freely after it had been scanned, as if it was local data. I guess that's a plus than. As for the bitrate: it's 256kbps for all the matched tracks, regardless of what you originally had. Uploaded tracks (almost all CM) retain the bitrate you uploaded it in, including apple lossless (a big plus).

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 2:41:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 2:41:54 PM PST
jashne says:
FYI I work with a recording label and royalty reconciliation is part of my duties. Apple and Amazon DOES PAY royalties on "matched" titles. It's complicated to explain but they do pay.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 2:30:53 AM PST
kings x says:
I just uploaded 483 Full CDs. I was meticulous With metadata So everything came out perfect,,, Except for release year. when I click on edit album info, the release year is blank. So I manually went through each album 'took 4hrs' ...to add release year,, to my horror,, the next day I checked, and most of the entries didn't stay. Why do they have the option of fixing or adding information, if it doesn't 'stick'? is release year being over ridden by matched track info?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions