Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Favorite music from your collection by composers who are only represented in your collection by ONE work.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2012 11:53:14 AM PDT
Joe Anthony says:
I say:

1. "March of Sardar" by Ippolitov-Ivanov
2. "Batuque" by Fernandez
3. "Spanish Rhapsody" by Chabrier
4. "Little Sisters of the Grassland" by Wu
5. "Violin Concerto" by Rochberg

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:14:42 PM PDT
MacDoom says:
If I like what I hear in work by a composer, I invariably seek out more. Conversely, a work from a composer who is represented in my collection by just one work - let alone one CD - simply isn't there, as it'll never be favourite music. The only chance is a real one-hit wonder - but I can't think of any off-hand.

Intrigueing question all the same!

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:26:08 PM PDT
David M. says:
1. Knud Jeppesen - Little Trio for Flute, Horn & Piano
2. Manuel Infante - Danses andalouses
3. Siegmund von Hausegger - Natursymphonie
4. Ferenc Farkas - Early Hungarian Dances from the 17th Century
5. Juliusz Zarębski - Piano Quintet

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 10:32:25 PM PDT
WH says:
1. Frederic Rzewski - The People United Will Never Be Defeated!
2. Arturo Marquez - Danzon #2
3. Eugene Ysaye - Solo Violin Sonatas
4. Marc-Andre Hamelin - Etudes
5. William Duckworth - The Time Curve Preludes

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 12:20:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 12:28:58 AM PDT
KenOC says:
Oh yeah, almost certainly "My Sharona" written by Berton Averre...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdnqEyToqg

Check those lyrics. What would Franz Schubert have done with them?

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 3:04:59 AM PDT
T. Anderson says:
hanns eisler: eine deutsche sinfonie, an anti-fascist cantata. i forget the label, but it's part of a series of works that were considered "degenerate" by the nazis (entartete musik). it's a great piece, but for some reason, i've never looked for anything else by eisler.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 6:18:15 AM PDT
carnola says:
Joe,

I enjoyed the Ippolitov-Ivanov you mentioned and picked up both suites of Caucasian Sketches. I really like the first suite--you may wish to investigate it. Also have a Mercury CD of Chabrier that's pretty good, too.

Here a few works that I like (not really my big favorites, since I usually seek out more works if I like the single work):

Allegri: Miserere
Canteloube: Songs of the Auvergne
Leoncavallo: I Pagliacci
Massenet: Meditation from "Thais"
Obrecht: Missa Maria Zart
Orff: Carmina Burana

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 6:19:08 AM PDT
carnola says:
Ken, you certainly have a knack for picking music ;-)

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 7:18:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 9:01:06 AM PDT
<<<hanns eisler: eine deutsche sinfonie, an anti-fascist cantata. i forget the label, but it's part of a series of works that were considered "degenerate" by the nazis (entartete musik). it's a great piece, but for some reason, i've never looked for anything else by eisler. >>>
don't stop there.
there are several discs of orchestral works that I find fascinating.
Hanns Eisler: Works for Orchestra, Vol. 1

also I have a few of his songs wandering around here and there. Hanns Eisler: Hollywood song-book - Lieder of the Exile (Teldec)
is nifty(newer and far cheaper recordings of these exist..)

His brecht settings may not have the 'punch' of his buddy weill----but....heck even lenya recorded one.
It is on here.
Lenya Sings Weill

as far as the topic of the category, I'm with Macdoom. So I can't really think of anything off hand I really like without getting to the point of investigating further.

I also agree with getting more and Chabrier.
also check out the string quartets of Rochberg.
there are several 'other Orff things that I find worthwhile as well. Including a brecht setting from the early '30s'(talk about a weird thing to exist given later history.
well it is on here.
Veni Creator Spiritus / Cantatas / Choral Works
delightful disc.
Orff make me wonder if 'neo neanderthal' and 'proto minimalism' are two sides of the same coin.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 5:57:22 PM PDT
Miriam says:
Bela Bartok: Romanian Dances (in two arrangements)
Ivar Kleive: Kyrie
Paul Dukas: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Modest Moussorgsky: Night on Bald Mountain
Jacques Offenbach: Gaité Parisienne
Richard Addinsell: Warsaw Concerto

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 6:02:25 PM PDT
K. Beazley says:
It has to be Hans Rott: Symphony in E major.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:28:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 2:10:22 AM PDT
Rott: Symphony No. 1, Orchestral Works

well not my recording of the rott
symphony... I bought this disc for the two encores.
but everything I own by Rott is on this disc.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 10:36:06 PM PDT
brunumb says:
Behzad Ranjbaran: Persian Trilogy

Ranjbaran: Persian Trilogy

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 10:46:48 PM PDT
brunumb says:
Reinhold Gliere: Symphony No. 3 'Ilya Muromets'

Reinhold Gliere: Symphony No. 3 'Ilya Muromets'

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 10:51:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 10:53:12 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Tsintsadze: Miniatures.

Beethoven: Violin Concerto & Tsintsadze Miniatures

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:07:19 AM PDT
Holst the Planets.
Riegger Symphony #4
and Orff of course.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:04:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:29 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:36:24 AM PDT
scarecrow says:
Whatever I had one of, I got rid of, long ago you know junkspace you understand, read Ren Koolhaas essay on it!, ,the economy of culture;excess. . .clutters the brain functions.. . there is an art to ''cleansing" your collection. . . .
Learn it! get rid of the garbage, the insignificant the vacuous; like minimalist music. . . .
Unless you collect simply to collect. I have a friend who collects movies, He sees them only once, then puts them into storage. . .
I'm sure those of you have "cleansed-out" modern items as John Cage. . .

But then I do contradict this. . .

I try to have only one recording of Shostakovich and or Mahler Symphonies, never two. . .same with the string quartets; then I don't need to choose, it's already done for me by my previous self. . .

For music that touches me deeply as modern symphonies,(post 1965) modern works;; Whatever I do I have, I usually have more than one of the same work or composer. . .

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:30:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:30 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:31:19 AM PDT
Tero says:
I have an entire disc of works now, but for years I had one work only by Alessandro Scarlatti. It was played both by A. Segovia and John Williams. It may have been a trio, but had only two movements.

One of the outstanding melodies of baroque music now played on guitar. The son, D. Scarlatti had tons now arranged for guitar.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 10:29:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 10:34:04 AM PDT
scarecrow says:
Hi march eliot,Yeah well you caught me in a cognitive void; a relapse of indiscretion and lack of visionary fortitude;

I tend to think that if you have only one single work by a composer, it was not your choice,Right? (!) someone recommended it!, because then if you were deeply moved by this experience you get another piece, you'd want to know more by this great genius of timbre. . .
So to finalize this line, if you in your existence remain with one single solitary work in your library, well this composer must not be all that important. . . So it seems to be "junkspace". . occupying a "void" of neglect, marginalization, and flippancy. . .

Now this is not to say you don't today still acquire, still obtain some deep rooted desire, some "jouissance" from this one single solitary work; but the fact remains that since no other item has entered your library, hard evidence points to the fact that this item is Alas!, detritus simply to fill a void. . .
As I said read Rem Koolhaas, "junkspace",it's available for free online someplace; I have many of his books,7-8 (just for the record), not this single solitary essay alone;

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:01:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 11:02:10 AM PDT
Lalo, Symphonie Espagnole>>>
I like his cello concerto too.

Gorecki, Symphony #3
gulity on this one. somehow it slipped my mind, I guess part of me HAD to have the famous recording of it and I just never 'progressed' past it.
It just kind of slipped my mind entirely.

Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition
exact opposite for me, I own a recording of every piece that I know of by mussorgsky that has been recorded.. I have 25 hours of music on my I-pod nano I bought over the summer and FOUR different versions of "songs and dances of death' on it.

yeah, I'm insane, but I won't let anyone else call me that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:06:05 PM PDT
K. Beazley says:
march,

"A few "one-hit wonders".....

....Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique"

Berlioz a "one-hit wonder"??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:59:00 PM PDT
DavidRFoss says:
march eliot says:
Michael Haydn, Cello Concerto in B-flat
-------------------------

I didn't even know this piece existed. The only recording I can find is here:
Concerti Brillanti

I'll check it out.

(I have much more of the younger Haydn already, so he wouldn't be a one-hit wonder for me. He's got about three dozen symphonies which all sound like 1770s-era Mozart, a nice early serenade and lots of choral pieces).

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:13:29 PM PDT
Rodrigo Concerto Aranjuez and the one for a gentleman--its a 2 for one thing. and Bloch Schelomo and the Grieg piano concerto. One of these days I'll get the Kreisler-Rachmaninoff version of his 3rd ? violin sonata.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Sep 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions