Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Which iPod has the best sound quality?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 1:28:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 1:31:29 AM PST
Donnie Darko says:
Which iPod has the best sound quality for classical music?

I've been listening to the symphonies of Pettersson using my iPod nano. However the sound lacks presence compared to my laptop.

I convert CDs to AIFF in iTunes and use sennheiser in-ear headphones.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:11:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 7:14:27 AM PST
WH says:
Adrian, I find that unless you convert to "Apple loseless encoder" you lose what you call "presence" and what I would call "three-dimensional sound." (I'm not sure why Apple hasn't allowed converting to FLAC files--which is CD quality sound). If you're using an iPod nano, you're not going to have enough disc space to do much in terms of a "loseless" format. If you have an iPod Classic (which is what I have), you'll have much more room. As for earbuds, I've been happy with Bose IE2 Audio Headphones. I took a quick glance and the Bose are much pricier than the Sennheiser I saw. Try Bose. They list for $100. There are, of course, much pricier earbuds, but the Bose give great depth of sound when listening to a CD quality, and they make the most even of compressed formats. For me, I'm content to use CDs as my major at-home and in-the-car sound, and my iPod functions for when I'm traveling (which is a lot), and I just presume that when I'm on the road, I have less than ideal sound quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:25:53 PM PST
Donnie Darko says:
AIFF is meant to be CD quality. Why would loseless have better sound?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:18:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 4:23:06 PM PST
Neaklaus says:
I Tunes and Apple have their own version of FLAC they call it ALAC. Lossless uses a higher bit rate and higher kHz. CD is only 16bit-44kHz, most lossless is at least 24bit-96kHz. Some recordings are even 24bit-192kHz. I am not sure what the numbers are for AIFF which is the Apple version of WAV. It all depends on the original recording master. Its the recording not the player.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:41:29 AM PST
Donnie Darko says:
Found out that you can adjust the volume in iTunes.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 9:57:52 AM PST
Adrian,

You may already know this, but just in case:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/itunes.htm

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 12:41:07 AM PST
Donnie Darko says:
Thanks for the link.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions