Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Your experiences with Amazon Marketplace Sellers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 86 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 5:26:00 AM PST
Scarecrow writes:

"The Amazon ratings is really not fair to Sellers, if everyone who got their stuff,i.e. everything good,on time did a review of the Seller, they all would be much higher than they are, 95% and above. But a small percentage of Buyers do a ratings."

As a seller, I can tell you that it's under 50%. In my case, it's exactly 33%, and in my opinion, I provide unusually good service - I grade extremely conservatively, ship only first class or Priority Mail (why on earth do people ship single CD's via media mail? It doesn't save money, and it's ridiculously slow), pack securely, and supply tracking information on almost all orders.

It really doesn't take much time to leave feedback. About once a month, I go through all of my orders for CD's I've bought, and leave feedback on any that I've not already left.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 5:27:16 AM PST
Kim, that's an excellent idea - although a few sellers (VERY few, unfortunately) refund a portion of the shipping price for multiple CD orders (Parnassus records does this, for example - there may be others).

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:29:05 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:10:29 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 2:45:59 AM PST
wm.Krasner--I have also been puzzled by sellers sending single CDs by Media Mail, as it is more expensive and much much slower than first class. I would also guess that the longer a package is in the system the more likely the chance for damage.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 7:12:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 7:16:28 PM PDT
I have had sort of an incident with a seller. I ordered a used cd described as in "very good" condition with a comment about a somewhat worn cover/case. The CD arrived and the booklet was severely damaged with several pages stuck together (I had to pull them apart and the text was lost for good). The back insert is also damaged. The case is OK, but that doesn't matter to me since I use sleeves, and the CD plays fine. In any case, if you read Amazon's condition descriptors, this is definitely in the "acceptable" camp, below "good" and certainly below "very good". Honestly I wouldn't care what rating they would have used if they had noted the condition of the booklet and back insert.

I contacted the seller to tell them about the issue and they gave me a dollar refund. Usually when this happens they offer me a refund and ask if I will accept it, but this time they just gave me the buck and called it good. The order total was $5.50 (inc. shipping). Part of me says to let this one go, but it really annoys me when a seller gets away with overstating the condition of a used product. I would not have bought the CD if I had known it was in this condition.

Any thoughts?

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 7:20:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 16, 2012 10:09:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 7:33:55 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
Being both a buyer and seller on Amazon, I can sympathize with you. The seller should have been more precise in his/her description. Whether or not you give him/her a poor rating, I would give extensive detail of your experience in the feedback section ---

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 7:47:18 PM PDT
F. Fairfield says:
I fully agree with the list given in your first paragraph. I have not tried the others.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:02:09 PM PDT
John Bennett says:
I've been buying, mostly dvds, from amazon usa for about 10--11 years and some books but the champion of amazon, is amazon uk! Their service, assisted greatly by the UK postal system, is 2nd to none! World record order from the UK to Australia has been....waite for it....THEREE WORKING DAYS. The US is good when sending cds, books and dvds from US to local people in the US, but when ordering in in the US to have postal divery here in Australia can take up to 3 to 6 weeks.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 9:54:35 AM PDT
MacDoom says:
An unexpectedly fortunate experience last week. I ordered a second-hand copy of Ives Songs (Roberta Alexander and Tan Crone), condition 'very good', and received a copy that was actually signed by Ms. Alexander!

Thanks - I like 'em signed!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 10:14:43 AM PDT
GWAC -

I agree with March. It may have been an inexpensive item, but you deserved a full refund. I hope that you left negative feedback, which was certainly deserved here.

Bill

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 6:24:43 PM PDT
Thanks for the feedback march, bejart, and william. I will see if I can resolve this with the seller before leaving negative feedback. I have never left negative feedback before, but I am inclined to do so in this case.

On thread duty I have had a couple really great orders from mediapearl recently. I find that they consistently understate the condition of their discs, much to my elation ;-)

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 7:08:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 16, 2012 10:07:52 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 8:25:08 PM PDT
Auntie Lynn says:
It's been great! I am an Amazon Addict. One fellow in San Francisco even hand-delivered a rare book to my hot little hands...many thanks!

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 1:53:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 2:05:17 PM PDT
As an update to my incident with Smogtown (see my posts on Apr 12 and 13), I expressed to the seller my dissatisfaction with their "resolution" of giving me a buck "for my inconvenience". I asked to be refunded half the total cost of the order, given that I would not have purchased it had I known its true condition. They have refunded more than I asked for by refunding the shipping charge in addition to the initial dollar, so I am comfortable with the situation now. Still, based on this experience I will think twice before buying again from smogtown - the condition of the CD and its packaging is a very important factor when I buy used, and in this respect the reliability of the seller is critical.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 3:35:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 16, 2012 9:00:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 3:43:39 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Gwac, not sure I'd be satisfied. The only time something like this happened to me, the seller scrounged up a new copy of the product (and I do mean "new") and mailed it to me without even asking for the old one back. Well, maybe that's a bit above and beyond...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 3:54:43 PM PDT
Ken, which seller is that?! ;-) Yes, I agree it could have been resolved better, but all things considered I am not in much of a position to complain.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 4:00:48 PM PDT
KenOC says:
I think it was blowitouttahere...was some time ago. But other than that one time, I've never had an issue with any sellers or product received.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 12:37:03 PM PDT
I have a new one:

There is a marketplace seller called, "Germany". They had the following item on sale for $9.99:

Legendary Recordings

I ordered it. They cancelled the order, and jacked it up to $65. I think it's kind of crappy for them not to honor their pricing. How do I know whether I'm seeing a mystical price or a real one?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 12:51:26 PM PDT
KenOC says:
I'd check with Amazon. They honor their pricing at time of order. Maybe they require their third-party sellers to do the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 1:03:52 PM PDT
Ken-

I sent them an email. I will see what they say. One would hope that they would require marketplace sellers to honor pricing. It took "Germany" two days to cancel the order. I can understand it when an item has simply been mis-inventoried and no longer exists. But, when they re-list an item at a higher price, it smacks of dishonesty. We'll see what they say. Strangely, if a marketplace seller cancels an order, there is no way to correspond directly with the seller.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 6:33:01 PM PDT
John Bennett says:
I can't give your the exact dates but what came in "3 working days" was CALL THE MIDWIFE Series; I orederd it it on a Thursday, from the UK and it arrived the following Tuesday! Hozat for service?!?

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 7:27:57 PM PDT
I actually had amazon not honor a price once, but rather than just increase it, they canceled the order and said that if I wanted it, I could re-order. They also claimed that the original price was an error.

I also have had amazon send the wrong product once or twice. I remember ordering a set of Beethoven string quartets (probably the Berg Quartet) and getting a set on a budget label, which might have been perfectly good, but not what I ordered.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 8:42:10 PM PDT
Piso Mojado says:
I've had CD orders from Japan in my mailbox three days after shipping from Tokyo to Chicago. Between major airports helps.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Good Movies You've Seen - A Digression 5255 48 minutes ago
Favorite Finishes - Vote Here ! 249 1 hour ago
Diary. What Did You Do Today? 1343 1 hour ago
What Are You Listening To Right Now? - Part XI 834 1 hour ago
However much I may love this site.....(Volume II) 9611 4 hours ago
W's Enshrinement Game - Part 5 5573 7 hours ago
Upcoming Releases 1843 7 hours ago
What books are you reading right now? 5912 8 hours ago
What's on order? 9505 9 hours ago
Beethoven's birthday! 14 11 hours ago
Favorite Waltzes 26 11 hours ago
Bargain MP3 thread 1081 12 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  86
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions