Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 659 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:35:11 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Just a note that Vänskä's Lemminkäinen is included in the "big box" Sibelius download with the symphonies etc., for $7.99.

Sibelius: The Complete Symphonies - Karelia - Lemminkäinen - Violin Concerto

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 4:05:47 AM PDT
Tero says:
There is also an early version of Lemminkäinen in a CD titled Seriously Sibelius, all in one track.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 4:56:36 PM PDT
I live in the South Bay and I used to attend San Jose Symphony concerts, in addition to San Francisco, but it went defunct. It has now been replaced by Symphony Silicon Valley and I feel kind of guilty about not supporting our local symphony, but with the SF Symphony and SF Opera, my classical music calendar is pretty full. I keep thinking I will buy some individual concert tickets for Symphony SV. A good prospect is Peter Serkin playing the Brahms No. 1 in December.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 11:40:03 PM PDT
When i lived in the south Bay, George Cleve was the conductor for the San Jose Symphony, and they had a pretty successful Mostly Mozart summer series for awhile, playing around the local vineyards. I was around to hear Uchida and Collard at those events.

Cleve had a reputation for truculence towards the audience that could be quite amusing. I heard Marin Alsop try out as his replacement but she wasn't selected. A lot has changed in San Jose since then, on my last visit, Stevens Creek Blvd was almost unrecognizable to me.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 5:41:25 AM PDT
Edgar Self says:
I remember George Cleve and his Mozart concerts, which he sometimes repeated in San Francisco, in an auditorium just south of the opera house, owned by the department of education as I recall. Cleve was badly injured in a fire at his ladyfriend's house, and his hands burned.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 7:57:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 5:47:17 PM PDT
Tero says:
I have the Vänskä actual symphonies box and the tone poems box so the 7.99 was a good sales approach as I played those many times first. The opening track, some overture, is weak. JS 145.

Best deal is still Järvi 7 Cd box.

I posted a review of the Paavo Järvi 2 CD set. Click my name, should be the last one. The CD has mp3 samples to play.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 7:56:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 7:56:53 AM PDT
Tero says:
Posted and reviewed/revised a few more discs*. The Paavo Järvi disc definitely is not essential. The istrument parts are fine but even there Paavo can't achieve quite what Neeme did with Gothenburg.

*click my name for the reviews.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 9:18:39 AM PDT
I just finished my first post for this year (or this decade...) and afterwards noticed the Sibelius thread. I was quite confused cause it had my posts... But it seems that Tero has rescued an old thread which is very nice indeed.

I really didn't have enough patience to read everything, but few comments came to mind from what I saw:

It is nice to see that Piso still remembers that I agreed on resemblance of a section in the slow movement of Schumann piano quintet and Finlandia.
And Piso, I too like In Memoriam and can't agree more what You said about funeral marches in general!

I also like The Bard very much while maintaining that there certainly are those works from Sibelius too that I don't like... But don't ask which, I don't want to think anout such questions.

About the time-machine wishes and Sibelius conducting his own music (he never conducted others music):
Sibelius regarded Robert Kajanus as the prime conductor of his music - not himself. Sibelius suffered from (propably essential) tremor and needed a drink beforehand to conduct properly. However he was not precisely good at dosing that particular drug (but who is?)
Would You use time-machine should You propably equip Yourself with better drugs (like beta blockers) as a souvenir to him before that concert.

Robert Kajanus was quite a character: the founder and the prime conductor of Helsinki Philharmonic Orch. for fifty(!) years (1882-1932). A record not to be broken, I presume.

That reminds me of another record-not-to-be-broken made by a Finn: Teemu Selänne and 76 goals in his NHL rookie season (-92-93). And that brings to my mind - Zadok the Priest - is he still active in the forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 11:09:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 11:10:50 AM PDT
Tero says:
Sibelius is such a little noticed composer these days that one thread
Is enough. My branch library has some 500 classical discs and Sibelius gets 1/2 disc: the violin concerto.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 11:11:45 AM PDT
KenOC says:
"Sibelius is such a little noticed composer these days..."

My hand is squeezing my throat with great violence, preventing comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 11:28:22 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Tero,
?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 11:34:51 AM PDT
T. Anderson says:
yikes! and the sibelius lovers here are soon to be apoplectic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 11:43:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 4:32:25 PM PDT
Tero says:
Well, it's all relative. I think all of us are going extinct soon.

But the book store does better. 2 titles of Sibelius, one of Grieg.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 11:45:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 11:54:40 AM PDT
It could be that Sibelius gets plenty of notice, but takes many of us listeners beyond commentary, as if we are speechless (except when we don't like the performance) A Sibelius experience is kinda hard to explain.

I don't see Sibelius programmed often enough in the US. Are orchestras and conductors intimidated? Are subscribers not interested?

I have many so-called music-loving friends who have never heard a Sibelius symphony, and never will, not even on a recording. Should I feel sorry for them?

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 11:47:39 AM PDT
"...such a little noticed composer these days."
What does this mean? Are You just talking about Your local Library or is there more meaning behind this opinion? Or is it just a joke?!

Cause living in Helsinki I can't see what You mean, by any means. From this point of view classical music is little noticed, every other composer is probably little noticed, but Sibelius, no, he ain't little noticed.

Give us some more explanation, please!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 11:52:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 12:01:40 PM PDT
Ahmad says:
Ville,
Here's a fact: 99.99 % of Tero's collection is Baroque :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 11:55:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 11:56:22 AM PDT
KenOC says:
"The fault, dear Tero, is not in Sibelius,
But in your branch library."

(apologies to Billy-Bob what'shisname)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 12:41:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 1:13:18 PM PDT
Tero says:
This would be in a large midwestern city in the US. I'm pretty sure the main library has about 10 CDs. I would have to see how many years back the symphony had Sibelius. I don't buy season tickets so I rarely go.

I also do not get the classical radio station as it needs a HD radio.

Googling, I think we had Symphony 1 either a year ago October or two years ago as second billing to a much advertised new work by a composer I did not recognize.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 12:43:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 12:46:02 PM PDT
Skaynan says:
Sibelius? It's a notation software, isn't it?

Seriously, though, I don't think he's "little known". Just look of the huge amount of new recordings of his works pouring in on a monthly basis. It's true that he was underuprecciated for quite a long time, but that's not the case nowadays.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 1:45:40 PM PDT
Tero says:
Poking around at stuff I do not have, the vocal version of Rakastava is the second track here. None of the rest is by Sibelius.
Baltic Runes

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:26:59 PM PDT
JRJoseph says:
I believe I started this topic and am I ever sorry. It was intended to be about Sibelius and look what we got. Oh well, better luck next time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:45:41 PM PDT
KenOC says:
"I believe I started this topic and am I ever sorry." He says after post #195. This thread has probably set some kind of record for being on-topic!

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 4:03:45 PM PDT
David Liu says:
Let's talk about dolphins now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 4:42:52 PM PDT
JRJoseph says:
Just to keep me on track, I wonder what Dolphins think about Sibelius Fourth. Incidentally, after playing the Fourth (many versions), I can now say that I consider it at least equal to his other symphonies. I thank the forum members who gave me a little push.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 4:49:55 PM PDT
maybe we could get the miami symphony to play some sibelius.
bring in some football players and find out.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  659
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 15, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions