Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Amazon Cloud Player

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-60 of 60 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 8, 2011 9:40:49 AM PDT
Gwac says:
I'll have to look into that. The most recent ones I bought were in April of last year.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:49:21 PM PDT
T. Anderson says:
first off, i did not go back and read all the posts on this thread, so if this repeats, i apologize...

i noticed today a HUGE difference in sound quality between itunes and the amazon cloud player. this was on the same device, my desktop computer, which has decent speakers and a subwoofer. it was something i had purchased and subsequently deleted from my computer. so i went to the cloud. while i was there, i played a couple tracks on the album in question, and it sounded fantastic (better than i remembered from playing it in itunes several months ago; but i wondered if i was thinking of something else). so, i downloaded it, and then played it in itunes. it sounded horrific!

how is that??? it's the same recording; it's the same format; it's not further compressed. it sounds awesome played from the cloud, but awful downloaded and played in itunes.

is there some setting i don't know about in the itunes preferences?? please help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 10:50:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 12:26:43 AM PDT
KenOC says:
TA, nothing I know of. I haven't noticed any difference. I can't imagine what would cause this effect. Maybe if you did an A-B comparison (should be easy) and described the differences?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 5:24:56 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:13 AM PST]

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 9:33:38 AM PDT
T. Anderson says:
it is strange!! i can find no reason why that should happen! it's a vivaldi download; a set of violin concerti & a mandolin concerto. the violin concerti don't sound too bad (though still not as good as on the cloud), but the mandolin concerto is unlistenable, and that's the whole reason i got it. the mandolin sounds ok, but the orchestral passages, particularly the low strings, sound really bad. they distort so much, you can't make heads or tails of it. and it's all the way through, not just in spots, although the louder spots are worse.

now, since i posted my original plea for help, i threw the (distorted) concerto from itunes onto my ipod and played it in my car last night, and it sounded fine there. so, apparently, it has got to be itunes. if something happened during the download process, it would have manifested on the ipod, since i would have then transferred the corrupted files to that. and if i play it from the ipod through the computer using itunes, it's distorted. so it has to be a software issue.

but i can't find any adjustment that helps. i messed around with the equalizer to no effect; i tried lowering the itunes volume adjustor and then turning up the speaker volume, and vice versa; i don't see any settings in preferences that would affect the sound. i'm stumped. it's not like that with everything, but i do notice that piano music generally sounds inferior played through itunes, and i have a hard time equalizing that, as well. but it's not as pronounced. this vivaldi is definitely the worst example of this happening.

oh, and just in case (although it didn't seem likely), i deleted it from itunes and redownloaded it... sounded distorted.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 2:39:44 PM PDT
T. Anderson says:
in case anyone did not get the email from amazon, they are upgrading the cloud player. if you sign in, they add mp3 purchases you made before you started using the cloud. for me, it added about 30 albums. also, they say they are upgrading the bit rate to 256k. i have not seen evidence of that, yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 3:00:14 PM PDT
KenOC says:
T Anderson, the Amazon MP3 purchases I have made have always been at 256K, once downloaded to my computer. I suspect they may have meant that the cloud player itself is upgraded to stream at 256K.

Another change, not so much of an "upgrade": A free membership is now limited to 250 "songs" stored in the cloud if not purchased from Amazon. Before it was 5 to 20 gigs, depending on when you signed up.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 3:22:37 PM PDT
T. Anderson says:
ken- you don't convert them to 256? they automatically download at that rate? mine have always downloaded at VBR.

also, for the storage of uploaded music... the songs versus gigabyte issue could help us classical listeners, since our files tend to be much bigger. i don't upload anything, so it doesn't matter to me. i just like the cloud as a backup for anything i purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 3:29:49 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Just checked. Previous downloads were 256K VBR, and that hasn't changed.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 5:53:10 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:12:26 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions