Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

What do you listen to?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 29, 2012 3:47:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 3:54:25 PM PDT
I posted this in a different forum and got some negative responses. So I thought I would ask it here.

Here's what I listen to:

Classical: 95%

Jazz: 5%

I'm curious as to what else, if anything, you guys on the classical forum listen to.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 3:49:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 3:51:17 PM PDT
mostly classical, probably 65-70%. then some jazz, rock (classic, newer, pop, etc.), r & b, country. pretty much everything.

edit: my wife was watching over my shoulder as i typed, and she said, "that's a lie! you listen to 99% classical." it's not quite that high, but i guess i listen to non classical mostly in the car by myself.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:08:03 PM PDT
Wyote says:
64 classical / 28 jazz / 8 other

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:28:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 10:49:39 AM PDT
90% classical,
10% popular but 90% of that belongs to the 'singer/songwriter' sub class.
(t. waits, emmylou harris, R, thompson,
sandy denny, nick drake and ewan MacColl when I tap into
'dead English folksinger' mode.)

I never warmed up to Jazz.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:49:16 PM PDT
Dmitri says:
I went through my second childhood in the last quarter of 2011. My answer is different now then back over half a year ago.

I probably listen to at least 95% classical, 5% alternative rock (INXS) right now.

Back in 2011 I would probably say 66% classical, 34% hard rock (Led Zeppelin, Kiss, and Talking Heads, INXS, and Yello)

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:01:37 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
95% - Classical

5% - Jazz, the Police, Journey, Manhattan Transfer, Grateful Dead, Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:34:00 PM PDT
It's changed so over the years. When the Beatles hit it was 90% Beatles, 10% other 60's-70's rock.
70's & 80's I got into jazz probably 10%, rock 10%, electronic/trance/world music 20%, classical 60%
Since the late 70" - to now classical (primarially opera) 90%, all other 10%.
That last 10% really varies, still alot of Beatles, even more Dylan
I don't forsee any great changes at this point in my life, but you never know!

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 10:26:45 AM PDT
WH says:
The percentages have gone up and down over the last 45 years of listening. For the first half of the 2000s, classical got only 5%, jazz 80%, rock 15%. In the last five years, it's shifted some: 50% jazz, 40% classical, 10% (now mostly indie) rock. I do listen occasionally to a scatter of blues and world.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 10:58:10 AM PDT
HB says:
Keeping up with classical with its enormous repertoire is a major task. However, I also enjoy broadway and big band music. I would say classical 98%, others 2%.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 11:03:17 AM PDT
KenOC says:
Just noticed that the OP is loaded with "no" votes. What's going on here? Suggest that whoever's interested pop up to the top of the thread and give the OP a "yes" vote.

BTW, it's 92% classical, 5% early classic rock (1966-75), and 3% whatever's playing.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 11:34:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 1:34:11 PM PDT
80% Classical: Sibelius Mozart Mahler Beethoven Dvorak Bach Telemann Martinu Stravinsky Schubert Brahms Villa-Lobos Haydn Couperin Vivaldi Wagner...

5% Cowpatty/Folk: Kate Willie Jerry Jeff Doc Gram Emmy Lou Gillian Merle (both of em) Playboys Grisman Rice Knitters Kottke Fahey...

5% Rock: Kinks Mac Dead THeads Clash Spirit Cure SYouth Pixies Leon X Tengo RThompson Tull Gangster of Love Traffic

5% Jazz: Bird Miles Monk Ornette Cecil Sonny Trane Duke Grant Green Jim Hall Django Benny Billie Ella Sarah ...

2% Reggae: Marley Perry Spear Pablo LKJ Desmond Toots...

2% Funk: Parliament/Funkadelik, James Brown, War, ToP

1% Blues: Muddy, Sonny Boy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 11:37:25 AM PDT
KenOC: "Just noticed that the OP is loaded with "no" votes. What's going on here? Suggest that whoever's interested pop up to the top of the thread and give the OP a "yes" vote."

TCO: Thank you Ken. I think the "no" votes are coming from the people on that other forum who hate me because I said I don't like much popular music.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 12:21:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 1:04:46 PM PDT
Larkenfield says:
I would imagine some of the no votes coming from the conservatives who do not take kindly to any genre of music being mentioned other than the classics (or too much insistence on mentioning the saxophone in a classical context). The irony is that there are any number of famous classical musicians who have listened to other genres themselves, such as Pavarotti having been a huge fan of Sinatra, and vice versa; and I happen to feel there's considerable value in staying open to excellence in every field where great creativity and genius can also be found. The great jazz pianist Art Tatum had such brilliance of musicianship and technique as an improviser that Horowitz and Rachmaninoff loved hearing him live in the night clubs, especially when Tatum played Tea for Two.

My own listening habits are about 50/50 classical and jazz. My interest in jazz improvisation over the years is party because the ability of most classical musicians to improvise their own cadenzas or create on their own original themes like it was done during the time of Mozart, Beethoven, and others, has become virtually non-existent, except for some noticeable exceptions such as the amazing Gabriela Montero. So for a certain kind of spontaneity, rather than the same exact order of the notes over and over again, one cannot consistently find it in CM and must look elsewhere. ♬

Art Tatum playing Cherokee: http://tinyurl.com/7q3qasq
Art Tatum playing Tea for Two: http://tinyurl.com/7xcjh34

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 12:24:23 PM PDT
HB says:
"TCO: Thank you Ken. I think the "no" votes are coming from the people on that other forum who hate me because I said I don't like much popular music."

TCO,

I seriously doubt anybody hates you on this or any other forum. That might happen on political and religous forums where the discussions can get pretty hot. But musical people are generally not hate mongers.
We might disagree with each other but I think most of us are way too busy to be wasting our time with hate. I could be wrong since I cannot read anybody's mind. But that is my gut feeling.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 12:52:43 PM PDT
carnola says:
70% Classical
10% Rock/Pop/Folk (mainly from my misspent youth, but a few post 1972 or so): Doo-Wop, Beatles, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Joan Baez, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke
10% Solo Vocal/Musicals: Nat Cole, Sinatra, Ella, Stacy Kent, etc./Rogers & Hammerstein, Gilbert & Sullivan, Frank Loesser, Lerner & Loewe
10% Jazz: early Armstrong, Ellington, Basie, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Sonny Rollins, Coltrane, Brubeck, Getz, Benny Goodman, Monk

On road trips with my wife, it's mainly the middle categories since she's not a fan of jazz and only tolerates a little classical. I also go on jags where I start listening to one artist/genre almost exclusively for a week or so. Lately, however (since the advent of the cheap box sets and particpating in this forum), I've been on about 90% classical.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 1:00:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 1:00:46 PM PDT
carnola says:
Larkenfield,

I'm sure you've heard Art's spin on Dvorak's Humoresque:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-CVV616nI

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:10:59 PM PDT
HB: "I seriously doubt anybody hates you on this or any other forum. That might happen on political and religous forums where the discussions can get pretty hot. But musical people are generally not hate mongers.
We might disagree with each other but I think most of us are way too busy to be wasting our time with hate. I could be wrong since I cannot read anybody's mind. But that is my gut feeling."

TCO: I sure hope nobody hates me, though I did get some pretty rude comments on that other forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:18:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 2:21:56 PM PDT
Larkenfield: "(or too much insistence on mentioning the saxophone in a classical context)."

The Correct One: Well that seems odd, considering that the saxophone was invented specifically for use in orchestras and military bands. It's actually one of the few instruments used in classical music that was specifically made for playing classical music. Brass instruments were originally used for war signals, flutes were used for religious ceremonies, etc. But the saxophone, however, was created for the sole purpose of playing classical music and bridging the gap between the woodwinds and brass.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:42:55 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Adolphe Sax invented a great variety of instruments. He designed a full range of saxophones from sopranino to subcontrabass. These (and other instruments) were sold from his store in Paris. He commissioned a lot of works for saxophone ensembles, to be played mostly in his store as advertisements. I have one disc of these works and they are pretty good if not earthshaking.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:46:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 2:48:37 PM PDT
Adolphe Sax also invented the modern bass clarinet. It took a little while to catch on even though it was far superior to the old design.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:55:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 3:29:24 PM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
98% --Classical at this TIME [ 60% Instrumental and 40 % Vocal.]
Classical and Romantic era form 99% of all my Classical Music listening.

2% -Jazz 100 % of which is swing and dixeland. I hate modern free form jazz - sounds like CHAOS and it annoys me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 3:05:47 PM PDT
KenOC says:
John, I'll be seeing the New Orleans Preservation Hall Jazz Band next Friday!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 3:11:03 PM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
KenOC

I have been to NOLA 30 Times- Enjoy the glorious food also.

John

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 3:16:23 PM PDT
John Spinks says:
92.5% Classical
7.5% Other

(The .5 stuff satisfies some odd statistical quirk in my soul. When I was young I thought that I would grow up to live in a brick ranchero with 2.5 kids. Neither happened.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 3:44:27 PM PDT
KenOC says:
John, unfortunately it's the band here, not me there. But the NOLA food...yes indeed!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Jun 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions