Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Proposal for Listening Group

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 311 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:54:30 PM PDT
Skaynan added to the list! Welcome and thank you for the link. Very kind of you!

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 1:36:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 16, 2012 10:01:47 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 1:50:22 PM PDT
Please add me to the list, David. Like the first choice! Discussion on this channel or a separate thread (apologies if this has been addressed already.)

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 4:16:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 4:19:34 PM PDT
Greetings M. Ziolkowski - You have been added. I think the protocol will be the first person who wishes to begin the discussion will start a new thread on Sunday (after everyone has had some time to listen to the selection) Each new piece will have a thread of its own and that way, there is no time limit on a particular piece if the discussion goes on for awhile.

Welcome to the group!

Updated "membership"

Thomas Dawkins
March
KenOC
Gwac
palJacky
David Friedlander
carnola
S. Benson
Larkenfield
Skaynan
M. Ziolkowsky

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 4:30:45 PM PDT
You may include me in the membership for this group. The protocol as outlined by David Friedlander seems quite reasonable.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 4:33:39 PM PDT
D. Nooter says:
i'm not a joiner; but i may follow the discussion -- and add something if i feel i have anything worthwhile to contribute.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 4:40:02 PM PDT
Welcome Distant Prommer!

The new list - which is showing lively growth in its infancy;

Thomas Dawkins
March
KenOC
Gwac
palJacky
David Friedlander
carnola
S. Benson
Larkenfield
Skaynan
M. Ziolkowsky
Distant Prommer

If I accidently make an error in my cut and pasting, please feel free to correct the list. I'm getting rather excited for the actual first discussion to begin.

I'm wondering if we should have this week's host, Thomas Dawkins put up the initial posting tomorrow? It is rather like being a "guest host" so perhaps that would be a good procedure? It probably doesn't really matter who begins, but all these little "ground rules" are still up in the air. I just hope the experience is a positive one for all.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 6:37:47 PM PDT
I don't mind guest hosting as it were, but unless I put up something in the next few hours, it won't get done until late tomorrow night. I'm giving a piano recital in the afternoon tomorrow, works of Ravel and Debussy with a Satie Gymnopédie thrown in for good measure.

The three recordings of the 16-soloist Serenade that I have in my library are:

Matthew Best with English Chamber Orchestra
Sir Adrian Boult with New Philharmonia
Sir Roger Norrington with London Philharmonic

I find it interesting that though the Best and the Norrington were recorded only a few years apart, there are only three soloists common between them, and from what I can tell, only one is singing the same part. Diana Montague, mezzo-soprano; Catherine Wyn-Rogers, contralto (with whom I have performed Messiah and who is absolutely stunning); and John Mark Ainsley, tenor.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 6:55:20 PM PDT
Thomas - If you don't mind doing the "honors", anytime is really ok. It really doesn't have to wait until tomorrow. Folks can listen later and add to the discussion later - the "schedule" as it were, is really just a general guideline. After all, we're the people in the group and we can mold it in any way that works best for everybody.

Your piano recital sounds wonderful.

By the way, this group has already expanded my musical world. I was unfamiliar with the piece and really know very little about Vaughn Williams. After listening to the absolutely lovely music you suggested, I can see that I'll have to make more room for some incoming CDs. That music is just ravishing.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 7:52:47 PM PDT
Welcome to "Freestyle contributing member" D. Nooter. Of course anyone can contribute at any time. I guess being a "member" is just a way of passing the picks around.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 8:03:38 PM PDT
D. Nooter says:
"being a "member" is just a way of passing the picks around."

you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick DSCH's Nose unless you're a member. ;)

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 4:07:31 AM PDT
Skaynan says:
Soooo... What's next?

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 4:25:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 16, 2012 8:56:25 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 5:34:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 5:37:51 AM PDT
carnola says:
march,

That would be wise--that would give folks a time to locate a copy and listen a few times before starting a conversation.

Suggestion: How about (for works not as well known) being sure to name at least one recommended recording, maybe a YouTube link or two, and some background on the work/composer? Although contributors seem quick to help with that. Thomas Dawkins did a great job on supplying some background with his pick.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 5:46:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 16, 2012 8:51:58 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 6:13:10 AM PDT
Gwac says:
The "once a week" schedule seems to work well for me. I am still digesting the VW piece, though I don't think I will have any comments of the quality that has already been seen.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 6:15:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 16, 2012 8:51:54 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 6:25:39 AM PDT
carnola says:
march,

Interesting choice--not sure how Handel-Bach will work as the first movement of a symphony!

Reading the Hyperion notes, I see that Spohr might have pre-empted Mendelssohn with the revival of Bach's St. Matthew Passion if his "ruling prince" had permitted him to.

A composer I'm vaguely familiar with. I had his quintet for piano and winds coupled with Dvorak's string quintet op 77 on vinyl, but that's it.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 10:35:16 AM PDT
Skaynan says:
Cool. Since I happen to have this music as well, you can grab it from me here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/994646/6th%20Symphony-%20Alfred%20Walter%2C%20Cssr%20State%20Philharmonic.zip

This recording is Symphonies 3 & 6

Grab it and get ready for some interesting discussion. I don't really know what to think of this choice, because I don't particularly like the piece. But maybe while discussing it I'll discover some new angles about it.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 3:40:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 16, 2012 8:36:57 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 9:36:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 12:10:48 PM PDT
Great selection March! When you are ready to launch the discussion, I have a suggestion on naming it. "Listening Group Selection #2. Spohr 6th Symphony."

If all the selectors use this general format going forward, it will be easy to track all of our selections as they add up.

Another suggestion; When you launch the discussion on its own thread, it would be great if you would cut and paste the information and links you put here. That will be convenient and helpful to those who don't own a copy.

Interesting selection....(especially interesting because I actually have this relatively rare and unusual work in my collection!)

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 12:45:05 AM PDT
mojoworking says:
I've only just found this thread and I came across the VW thread first. I fear that I won't get around to listening to the VW for some time as I have a lingering head cold and listening to any kind of music is difficult at the moment. However, count me in for the future and I will play 'catch up' ASAP.

I think it's an interesting premise and the weekly format should work well, although obviously with people going on holiday over the summer there will be some absenteeism where there is no access to a pc/laptop/Internet/wifi.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 9:47:35 AM PDT
mojoworking - Welcome to the group! Don't worry about being "late" to a Listening Group thread. In fact, it could be a good thing to have the Listening Group's discussions "bumped" from time to time. That way more people will find out about the group and those who already know about it will have more time and opportuninties to add their thoughts.

Updated Group List:

KenOC
Gwac
palJacky
David Friedlander
carnola
S. Benson
Larkenfield
Skaynan
M. Ziolkowsky
Distant Prommer
Thomas Dawkins*
March*
mojoworking

(members who had a turn at selecting and have re-entered the rotation)*

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 10:11:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 10:14:45 AM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
David

Great Thread Idea

I am sooooooooooooo Interested. Can one incude vocal music?

I do suggest using YT performances as everyone will have access to them. I do not have the VW piece
and I would get to know things which have missed my ancient ears.

Best and Good Luck -John

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 10:20:29 AM PDT
John Ruggeri says:
I am pushy but Beethoven's Symphony # 3 might be a good start
We could discuss whose recording a sub-thread in itself. The idea of less known is interesting but maybe not
so objective. I have 8 recordings of ' Don Quixote, fantastic variations for cello & orchestra, Op. 35 (TrV 184)'.
Some posters might NOT have heard the work at all.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  311
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions