Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

The Saturation Point

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-29 of 29 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 3:10:29 PM PDT
This, Ken, is the 111 you should have had all along - it's the one that sold me on the piece. NO sigh needed!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 3:15:32 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Well, I Downloaded the disc, haven't listened to the Op. 111 yet. But that Schumann Toccata sure is nice!

They played his Op. 111 on the radio yesterday, made my ears perk right up. I liked that he didn't consider the 1st movement just something to get through on the way to the 2nd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 5:05:53 PM PDT
carnola says:
HB,

One of the reasons I prefer the Previn might be because it's my imprint version--I practically wore out the LP. The Bernstein seems a bit rushed and the Naxos orchestra not of the first rank. I've not heard the Beecham (which I'd like to--I like most things he does), and I think Abravanel recorded a version, too.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 6:27:23 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
When I first joined this site I mentioned that I was going to upgrade my CD collection. Either my assets were on tape or contained the best of Eastern European musicians. And here I am today. Thanks to "those many" older recordings being released in shiny new CD's, I met my minimum goal in Romantic and XXth century classical composers, and even obtained a complete Beethoven set on the way. For those of us where money doesn't grow on trees (there are still a few) and desire an independent means of accessing CM, these older releases are a Godsend. This month I was able to get a grip on the Second Viennese School, a gap that is neglected by many CM stations. I can't hear any difference between the remastered discs of the performers from the 60's and 70's, or even the 80's, then the latest asiatic "pop" idol. My last was Midori and she found her way into my collection through Bartók and Paganinni. Supporting new musicians is great if you can afford it. But to throw out the old Masters because they are old--is senseless.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Jun 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions