Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Why Are You Or Are You Still Buying CDs?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 167 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2012 2:09:56 PM PST
Dmitri says:
I am just a diehard lover of the format and am too LAZY to switch to downloading.

Your excuse?

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:21:21 PM PST
Downloads are too expensive, and the thought of having to constantly keep a large collection backed up properly is rather off-putting.

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 2:23:24 PM PST
K. Beazley says:
Dmitri,

At my age (57), & the fact that I've been collecting CD's since 1983, means I have an enormous physical & emotional investment (not to mention financial) in my collection. Not only that, but I can see the day when I say, "Enough", & buy no more. It gets to the stage where you find a new forgotten composer, & it's got to be really good to stand out from what I already have & demand that I buy it.

To me downloading doesn't seem to have the permanency of the disc, unless I go to the trouble of burning it onto disc for keeping, or buying an i-pod or some other such device. With CD's I don't have to download the booklet, & I have something real & solid in my hands & on my shelves. I suppose it's the same reason I still buy books instead of getting a Kindle.

Perhaps I'm just getting older & set in my ways, but you know what? That's actually one of the pleasures you have as you age, that you're free to be retro! To heck with what the world thinks!.....

Kim.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 2:26:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 2:27:49 PM PST
K. Beazley says:
Bill,

"Downloads are too expensive..."

Absolutely! If there's no hardware & labour costs, & we do all the work, why is it almost as expensive as a CD?

Kim.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:37:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 4:01:26 PM PST
KenOC says:
I'll buy a CD only if there's no download or if there's a price advantage over the download, shipping considered. Lots of downloads are priced higher than the CDs! Everything is backed up on iTunes and on the iPod, and the iTunes library is regularly backed up to another hard drive as well. That is to say, three iPods and libraries...

Added: That means that three hard drives would have to fail simultaneousy for the music to be lost. Of course anything downloaded from Amazon is kept in their cloud as well.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:40:46 PM PST
MacDoom says:
Too many downloads have no artwork.
Too many downloads are lossy.
Too many downloads are lost all over the world when hard disks give out.
Too many downloads are way too expensive considering you're not getting anything physical.

CDs may not be forever, but they'll probably see me out. If I want mp3s I'll make them.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 3:51:18 PM PST
carnola says:
Like Kim, I've been buying CDs since 1983. I shudder when I remember what a lousy selection there was then and at a high cost. I was thrilled when mid-price and then budget CDs came out AND many were of recordings I had worn out the LPs of. Now, with the ultra-cheap budget boxes (the Mercury 50-CD set came yesterday), I usually have some percentage of the discs in the set (8 of the Mercury discs). What I do is give those to friends and family as seeds to grow a bigger audience of classical fans. Besides, even though I back up the music I have on iTunes and mp3 files, I don't feel as safe as when I have a physical CD. Call me old fashioned.

Also, as MacDoom says, I'd miss the artwork PLUS the texts/translations for vocal works (although that's becoming harder to get these days). Those are the only things I miss about LPs--being able to actually see the artwork and read the texts/translations.

Chris

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 4:05:03 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:10:30 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 4:55:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 4:59:33 PM PST
John Spinks says:
Because I an old-style librarian. You know, one of those librarians that actually had a real collection of books on hand! Someone who knows the difference between Daniel Steel and Charles Dickens. Don't get me on my soap box. "They" have turned public libraries into electronic playgrounds. Gads! The last "DIRECTOR" I worked under actually "weeded" the Encyclopedia Britannica from the collection. This is the state of current public libraries (at least of the smaller variety) in the US:

Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Rock-a-Stack
Alphabet Blocks

But back to the point: I like real collections of things, not ghosty electronic ones. That said, I do occasionally download if the price is right.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 6:09:57 PM PST
I am 76, and have been into relatively high-end audio since the 1960s. I remember buying 78rpm in the 50s, then 33.3 rpm (never bought 45rmp or 8-track!). LPs have made a strong comeback with audiophiles, and the sound is much warmer and more open than ANY digital source.

Having said that, I have over 3,000 CDs, and although I do download some MP3 formatted music for "soft listening," I much prefer CDs for a number of reasons: MUCH higher sampling rate than MP3 format, and the difference definitely CAN be heard on a good system. Also, with the CD, I can easily load the music on my Mac or PC desktop, or a laptop; and from there onto a Sansa, or any iPod.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 6:11:27 PM PST
I just like having them around.
it makes it seem like I own a library of something.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 6:20:43 PM PST
I buy CD's because they're a twofer'. Buy buying them you have the actual CD as well as the booklet (so that you actually feel that you brought something tangible), but you can also rip an mp3 off of it to itunes.

So with the CD you pretty much are buying an mp3, but you also get bonus physical content.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 6:25:40 PM PST
I have amassed quite a collection over the years. I haven't been collecting as long as some people here, but, then again, I'm still pretty young. I have only been collecting CDs seriously since '99. I probably own around 7,000 classical recordings now.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 6:33:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 9:19:59 PM PST
I've had too many disc drives and such crash on me.
I think i've 'oopsed' with 3 cds and marred them over the years to the point they have needed to be replaced.
that is not a bad average at all.

I know how to find my music quickly, almost zero cost and effort to maintain and I'm going to continue to buy them until things I want on CD are unavailable. I've got at least a dozen devices hanging around that play them, Bought an ASUS computer 2 months ago and it plays them.I doubt there will ever come a point where I will be unable to play my cd collection.
My collection isn't going anywhere. yeah, It made moving slightly more difficult last summer, but compared to a bedroom set? moving is a pain in the butt anyway one looks at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 7:19:38 PM PST
That's the only thing I don't like about CD's-- the bulky plastic cases. They do make storage and organization kind of difficult. I brought a couple of CD binders and now my collection of around 350 CD's now fits into the space of around 2 and a half shoe boxes. I have 350 empty plastic CD cases sitting in a box in the garage if you any of you guys want them....

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 7:20:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 7:27:33 PM PST
Gwac says:
I have found that downloads are very ineffective at satisfying my materialist desires.

Btw, I have converted to slim plastc sleeves to hold my cds and booklets. I find it very satisfying to discard the jewel cases now, and my shelves can finally breathe again.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 7:25:25 PM PST
<< Why Are You Or Are You Still Buying CDs? >>

Looks like a trick question, hope I get the right answer.

I am buying and STILL buying because Lp is a relative pain in the neck and mp3 is unworthy. Who wants to delicately handle and clean the lint off a media disc the size of a medium pizza before giving it a whirl. My grandfather didn't mind, but he didn't mind living without air conditioning either (until he knew better).

A download foible. Listening to music clips before buying an CD, I've noticed that some of the album tracks can't be downloaded - only available with CD purchase. Hello!!! Am I missing something here? I think so.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 7:37:05 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 8:59:46 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 7:50:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 7:51:33 PM PST
The problem I have with downloads, besides being more expensive in most cases than the CD, is there's no proof of purchase, there's no artwork, or a booklet to let you know about the music you're listening to. It's simply a file on your computer. Nothing more. There's nothing tangible about it. Perhaps my mentality is stuck in a generation past, but collecting is about owning the physical discs along with the artwork. It's the whole purpose of building a CD library. People these days don't value anything and they're too busy playing with their iPhones or Androids to worry with such a thing as "collecting."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 7:53:39 PM PST
KenOC says:
J Rich, I prefer MP3s and don't even own (or want to own) a cell phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 8:10:16 PM PST
J. Rich,
I enjoy reading the CD inserts as well. The cover art is of little importance to me though. However, I burn discs to a computer which I use for a good part of my listening and the cover art is displayed on the display (TV or laptop) and Wikipedia and other sources provide quite a bit of information about the artists and their recordings. Seems like the insert pales in comparison to the artist and recording information available on the Internet.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 9:07:37 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 16, 2012 4:32:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 11:00:17 PM PST
I will convert when the US has the broadband infrastructure and FLAC is the rule. MP3s are insufficient. I have never legally downloaded an mp3 aside from a few popular tunes.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 4:09:38 AM PST
i have pretty much stopped buying cd's. i don't buy any classical cd's anymore, only downloads. i have a several thousand cd's already, and it's gotten to be too much. yes, the quality is better, but honestly, the downloads i have gotten sound good enough for me. i have digitized most of my collection, so i have quick access for putting stuff on my ipod or listening on my computer. the only cd's i buy anymore are from a few bands/artists that are my favorites, and only for completeness' sake.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 4:59:14 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 8:59:47 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
However much I may love this site.....(Volume IV) 4005 6 minutes ago
Diary. What Did You Do Today? 6722 13 minutes ago
Junk, Factoids & Alarms 113 21 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To Right Now? - Part XIII 1583 23 minutes ago
What concerts and operas are you attending? 2716 2 hours ago
Good Movies You've Seen - A Digression, Volume II 50 2 hours ago
The Moscow conservatory 30 4 hours ago
Chestnuts 46 4 hours ago
Composers you should love, but don't. 125 4 hours ago
Tchaikovsky in New York 7 11 hours ago
"Little Miss Mozart" 131 14 hours ago
Upcoming Releases 2408 15 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  167
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions