Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Downloading FLAC

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2012 4:33:02 PM PDT
I participated in a forum a while back where countless people said downloading FLAC files was the equivalent of buying CD-quality music. No one bothered to say Windows does not support FLAC, meaning they are uselss on most PCs.

Can anyone please tell me how to turn FLAC files into music? I am interested on ripping CDs. Thanks.

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:33:24 PM PDT
eee

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:40:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 4:45:10 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Larry, Windows is an operating system. It doesn't come with an application that handles FLAC files. But there are plenty of free ones. I'm currently using Foobar to convert FLAC files to MP3s.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

It will rip CDs to most any format. It will also play FLAC files directly if you don't want the losses involved in MP3s, or convert them to WAV files if you prefer to burn your own music CDs. These will be the same quality as commercial CDs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 5:06:06 PM PDT
Thanks. I have tried downloading several converters. Some are rejected by my antivirus programs and others want to do things I don't want done. I'll try this one. I appreciate your help.

Posted on May 5, 2012 5:15:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 5:25:20 PM PDT
My anti-virus program, Kaspersky, stopped me from downloading this program. I just tried something called Converter Lite; that didn't install.

I can assure anyone reading this that playing CDs is much easier than anything I've tried today.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 5:24:44 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Larry, I don't know why Kaspersky has these problems. I have been using the (free) Microsoft Security Essentials for a couple of years without incident. It's updated almost daily, and everything's hidden away -- you never see it. Might want to think about it.

Posted on May 5, 2012 5:25:53 PM PDT
Microsoft Security Essentials?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 5:28:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 5:29:47 PM PDT
KenOC says:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

If you want to install it, best to remove your existing anti-virus first (true of any AV program).

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 5:28:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 5:29:52 PM PDT
DavidRFoss says:
xrecode is the best converter I've encountered.

http://xrecode.com/

It claims its the "trial version" but all it does is make you wait five seconds every time you start it up. All the functionality is there.

"Windows" not supporting FLAC? Well, "Windows Media Player" doesn't support FLAC and iTunes doesn't either but "Windows" is an operating system not a media player. You need a FLAC-supporting player. I don't know what supports a large playlist of FLAC's but this player supports playing single FLAC files (as well as all sorts of other audio and video formats)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Its free and much better than windows media player. You should get it just for that.

Any digital library fans know of iTunes-like file-organizing systems that support FLAC?

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:11:20 PM PDT
E. Hansen says:
+1 on Foobar2000. Been using it for many years.

I have thousands of titles stored as FLAC files.

Posted on May 5, 2012 9:19:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 9:03:37 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 9:28:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 9:32:52 PM PDT
KenOC says:
millions, feel free. Your explanations will be very helpful. BTW Windows doesn't support MP3s either without a separate non-Microsoft Codec.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 9:38:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 9:03:37 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 9:42:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 9:43:52 PM PDT
KenOC says:
"It's a racket!" Well, it's a PITA for sure. But a racket? Everything's free, you know. Far from "proprietary" as I understand the word. Of course the freeware world is much larger for PCs (the dirty little secret Apple doesn't like to talk about!)

Posted on May 5, 2012 10:18:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 9:03:38 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 10:32:18 PM PDT
KenOC says:
The catch? Still looking...the most popular freeware programs have good documentation, on-line help, and updates from time to time.

And yes, PC users are forced to upgrade, but at less and less frequent intervals. When that happens...well, my son, a Mac notebook user, recently had to replace a failed hard disk. Cost him twice what my whole computer cost!

OTOH there's ALWAYS something or other wrong with a PC. Most recently an upgrade to my mail program lost my contacts list! Grrrrrr......

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 8:45:21 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 9:03:40 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 9:22:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 9:22:33 AM PDT
KenOC says:
millions, we were speaking of freeware applications, not music files. There IS a difference you know! The site I mentioned, for instance, was Foobar2000. Nothing to do with "sharing files."

And yes, they are quite free.

Posted on May 6, 2012 9:46:38 AM PDT
MacDoom says:
Millions,

It seems you're on a different track of 'free' as the others. The free material you mean is in many cases a euphemism for illegal uploads (i.e. file sharing). The others were talking about free software, whch is one of the great boons of modern times. Not only is it in many cases free without any catches, it is also, by virtue of not being commercially driven, going all-out for maximum usability, power and maintenance. Commercial software can hardly keep up with the stuff being churned out by hobbyists (which are usually programmers doing for fun at night what they're paid for during the day - but in their own time they can concentrate on what they want to do instead of what is commercially interesting; two very, very different things).

Examples of great free software are too numerous to name. And especially those under the GNU general public licence, which enforces relinquishing of the code to the community, makes for programmes guaranteed to be malware free.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 11:31:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 9:03:41 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 11:42:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 9:03:41 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 11:46:25 AM PDT
KenOC says:
The question asked in the OP has already been answered in a "real, practical" way. I see only one person indulging in "argumentation" here.

Posted on May 6, 2012 1:29:34 PM PDT
Looks like KenOC provided the solution (Foobar software) to the OP's problem.

Unfortunately millionrainbows offers no solution, but instead pollutes the thread. Why he does this is a mystery, but seems to do the same in many other discussions. In this thread (which deals with objective), he asserts, is refuted, calling attention to his equipment (which has no relevance), and continues on with several misaligned responses, that avert attention from the solution, and ultimately undermines the integrity of the thread. Again and again, topic after topic, like some form of serial polluter.

I'm sure that Larry VanDeSande will have success if he follows KenOC's advice.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 2:17:46 PM PDT
MacDoom says:
FLACs and where they come from have relevance to players in much the same way as petrol has to cars. You need both to get some use out of it. Stolen petrol says nothing about the inegrity of a car or indeed its manufacturers.

How you'd misconstrue using a player for illegal uploads is beyond me. The intent to buy files legally isn't very relevant, I think, but I'd hope so. Silly idealist that I am.

Posted on May 6, 2012 2:47:16 PM PDT
E. Hansen says:
> So is this 'peripheral' stuff like free players
> and software really just to be used for illegal uploads?

Huh? I use Foobar2K to play the thousands of FLAC files made from my own CD collection. (I've also purchased FLAC titles from various sites like hdtracks.com).

Good heavens, is this entire issue really that difficult to understand? It's not quantum physics.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  May 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions