Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

What Song Is This?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2012 7:31:13 PM PDT
Mike says:
Anyone know what the song is in the beginning and ending? Thank you!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwS_YDzxH3M

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 8:12:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 8:18:20 PM PDT
Mike, you mean the passage before "Yesterday" proper begins, and then the same passage after Yesterday ends, right?

Using Musipedia (http://meertens.musipedia.org/howtosearch.0.html), I keyed in the basic melody---and I think it's the first movement of Mozart's sonata in A major, K 331:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbn692EKQLw

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 8:17:43 PM PDT
Mike says:
Thank you sooooo much!!!!! :D Such a beautiful piece!!!! It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was! Thank you again!!! :D Take care.
-mike

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 10:37:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 8:52:53 AM PDT
You're most welcome, Mike.

In doing this I learned about the Musipedia website. What a great resource it is. I hadn't known about it. With proper input devices you can hum a tune, or you can input from an electronic keyboard. Or, you can just play the melody on the onscreen keyboard, using your mouse. The Musipedia software apparently compares your input to a vast library of music---and gives you the most likely choices.

All I did was play on the Musipedia onscreen keyboard that melody from the Yesterday lead-in and lead-out. I just picked out the notes by ear. The software did the rest. Up came the Mozart sonata. Amazing.

Very best,
Angelo

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 11:46:27 PM PDT
Mike says:
That site is absolutely amazing, and I didn't know you could use your keyboard to enter in the notes, that's awesome!!! I'll have to try that sometime with my keyboard :) Again I appreciate your help, that was really nice of you to take time out of your day/night to help me out! Take care :D
-mike

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:30:13 AM PDT
Auntie Lynn says:
To clarify, not that it matters, but this sonata is NOT a "song"...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 8:23:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 9:12:13 PM PDT
Well, actually, we didn't know what it was. All we had were a few bars played before "Yesterday" begins, and then a few bars played again after Yesterday ends. Only on identifying the theme did we learn that it's from a sonata.

It could have been an impromptu, a song, a prelude, an etude, a Moment Musical---anything. Now that we know it's from a sonata, we know what to call it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 8:26:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 8:30:57 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Yep. A song from a sonata. BTW I really couldn't hear the K. 331 in there, will check again.

BTW somehow the definition thing reminds me of an old joke. A country hick goes to Harvard. Somewhat at a loss on his first day, he asks an upperclassman, "Friend, could you tell me where the library's at?" The upperclassman looks down his nose and says, "Sir, at Hahvahd we do not end sentences with prepositions." So the hick says, "Oh, sorry 'bout that. Could you tell me where the library's at, a--hole?"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 8:38:40 PM PDT
Ken, we tested that Harvard Yard classic joke. Two friends and I were walking across the Harvard Yard in front of Widener Library about 25 years ago. All three of us had the joke in mind and had already talked about it. One of my friends said: "I'm going to do it. Let's see if anybody gives the proper response".

He stopped the first student we came across and said to him: "Can you please tell me where the library is at?".

The student said: "Sure. It's right over there behind you".

See? Harvard is no longer what it once was.

a

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 8:40:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 8:40:39 PM PDT
Ken, in the Youtube "yesterday" that Mike posted, the K 331 can be heard before Yesterday begins and again after it ends.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:46:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 8:47:49 PM PDT
Mike says:
Who knew this thread would have so many interesting replies! I had a few friends go to Harvard and they were all nice and not pompous! Also I have been listening to that song on repeat all day!! Btw I think this is my absolute favorite. What are your favorites?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on1DDSLdDOo

:D
-mike
PS Lynn I'm going to call it a Songnata because I think it sounds cool :D

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 9:08:14 PM PDT
One of my favorites is Debussy's "The Girl with the Flaxen Hair" ("La fille aux cheveux de lin")---actually a piano solo, one of Debussy's Preludes for Piano.

Here is a transcription for violin and piano, played by Jascha Heifetz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqcXpHSHUXk

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 8:42:13 AM PDT
Angelo-

Not to worry - Yale is still chock full of a--holes. At least there are still some bastions of snobby elitism left unadulterated.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 5:45:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 22, 2012 12:37:55 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 12:24:04 PM PST
SIR says:
http://www.renaissancechorus.org/sylvia79.mp3

Well do you know who wrote (and sang) this hilarious song?
SIR

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 12:41:51 PM PST
barbW says:
"Sylvia" (1948) by Harold Brown (1909-1979) on the poem by John Dryden, performed by Evelyn Simon, soprano, and John Van Buskirk, piano, Dec. 9, 1979

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 1:02:48 PM PST
SIR says:
You are right! I wish it was on a CD!
His string music written 82-75 years ago was just recorded:
http://www.renaissancechorus.org/CDcomments.html
Enjoy,
SIR

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:13:06 AM PST
barbW says:
I wish I could find the name of this pop song or the singer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWAjUEtPBrU&feature=plcp

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:23:15 AM PST
yuk. I think that's coldplay, but not sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:26:10 AM PST
barbW says:
o thanks, I'll check it out

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:31:40 AM PST
barbW says:
yuk? That's your assessment?

These musical likes and dislikes surely is a topic like no other. I can't think of one..

I'm highly critical of much music (so-called), but I have my reasons, and usually they're the same reasons over and over. But many music lovers who post have a seemingly instinctual set of preferences (that only they can navigate through). Is there another topic like this?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:41:37 AM PST
barbW says:
Begin - The Times

better than Cold Play?

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 12:02:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 12:11:12 PM PST
You shouldn't ask me. I'm too far gone to know. I'd rather hear the Three Chipmunks than any of that stuff.

To me, after all the music I've heard in my life, that song (and that band) simply sounds derivative, unoriginal, plagiarized, commercialized, whatever, and intended specifically for young women. Even if I liked it now I'd be sick of it in short time.

So why should I like it when I have far better options (for me, maybe not for you). You will never reduce or decode the spirit of individuality, werrenth, and your attempts to correlate "taste" with other independent factors is in bad taste itself.

So, yeah, yuk. Get over it. It really doesn't mean anything more significant than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 12:58:56 PM PST
barbW says:
" to correlate "taste" with other independent factors is in bad taste itself."

heh, all those great aestheticians of the past were just wasting their time? I can't accept that, but maybe you can convince me?

It's an interesting discussion, anyway..

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 1:09:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 1:12:44 PM PST
Sometimes I do it too, but I know I shouldn't. But it's funny to me that you should be caught on the other end of your own stick, exposing your own weakness to pop garbage, and still trying to assume superior aesthetic values. Or is it the aesthetic values of a superior person?

Now back to my Tom & Jerry.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions