Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Hardcore Classical Fans Who Are Also Hardcore Non-Classical Fans

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 7:06:06 PM PST
I wonder if there's anybody out there who are truly hardcore about classical music, who are also the same way about non-classical music.

What do I mean?

I know there's lots of people who adore classical music and also listen to some pop or jazz. On the other hand there are people who are practically musicologist-level knowledgeable about their favorite bands but can only name a few composers.

Is anyone out there absolutely devoted to both classical and non-classical music? By devoted to classical, I don't mean you have heard every Beethoven symphony... I mean you have heard every Spohr symphony.

Anyway, this is starting to meander. I guess this is just a discussion about whether it's possible to be completely devoted to classical music and non-classical music at the same time.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:39:44 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:35:35 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:41:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 7:41:42 PM PST
I think he just tried to rule out a whole bunch of us from the hardcore category. Must know Spohr to be hardcore.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:08:48 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:29:53 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:18:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 8:25:01 PM PST
I grerw up playing classical piano. I was hardcore classical. After graduating from high school, the Korean War was going full force so I joined the Air Force. I bought a record player and some classical records. Then I subscribed to a classical monthly music subscription service (12" long play recordings had just come out) So I played them all. A friend who also enjoyed classical loved jazz. . .and introducted me to great jazz. . .so I became a hardcore classical and hardcore jazz fan. From 18 to 22 I was both. . .them my hardcore jazz began to soften and at 30 I didn't like jazz at all. . .just Classical. . .SiriusXM Radio Channels 75 and 76. . .so there is nothing other than hardcore classical for me.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:29:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 8:30:10 PM PST
WH says:
I'm a huge jazz fan, and my jazz library is probably twice the size of my classical library. I also listen to a certain amount of indie rock. If balancing jazz and classical is of interest, see a thread I started a while ago entitled "Classical Music & Jazz: For Those Who Listen to Both". There's a fair number of us around here who listen in varying degrees to other genres.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/classical%20music/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2O5YQ79OVJBUQ&cdThread=Tx10D0IAJOEN51D

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:27:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 5:04:20 AM PST
Joe Anthony says:
For a while during my college years and a few after that; about age 18-29; I was as heavily into Jazz as I am into classical music. It was a good time for me to be interested in jazz because it was the 1980s and I was there just in time to still catch some of the late great legends of jazz and see them perform live and in person; guys such as Dizzy Gillespie, Lionel Hampton, The Modern Jazz Quartet, Sun Ra, Clark Terry, Ray Charles and others.

Indeed, I was big into jazz and was especially interested in guys such as Charles Mingus and Roland Kirk; I gravitated to the more cutting edge style of jazz and along the lines of classical music, I was very interested in colors and textures. Along this line, I was very much entranced with the three collaborations of Miles Davis and Gil Evans ("Porgy and Bess", "Miles Davis+19", and, of course, "Sketches of Spain").

While everyone knows Miles Davis; few might recall what a great arranger was Gil Evans; later his band took a more free form approach that didn't always do justice to Evans' gifts as an arranger, but there are a few CDs out there from the 1960s and early 1970s that reveal Evans' skill and imagination.

Around the age of thirty, Jazz began to give way to other genres. I enjoy Gospel music quite a bit these days, and that started partly by way of Jazz which has Gospel roots, and also through my association with the African American church which I started attending during my middle twenties. In this regard, Gospel music was intertwined with my religious experience; my study of the New Testament; Christianity in America; and so forth. As Bob Dylan commented on his own journey from born-again Christianity through his return to Judaism, "it's in the music; music is my religious lexicon more than anything else."

Through my wife who is Latino, I've also become somewhat interested in Mariachi music and Latin Pop. Along this line, I believe that the appeal is in the Spanish language which is so romantic and so expressive; sort of along the lines of Italian; it's very warm and musical; perhaps because it is dominated by vowels as opposed to consonants; and like Italian, Spanish seems to come more from the belly than the throat.

Indeed, at different times, I've gone in for Country music, Folk music (I love the poets, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen); even some World music (especially China, India and that flute music from South America); albeit my understanding of "World Music" is very superficial. For me, listening to these wonderfully exotic tones from India and China are like gaining a tiny glimpse into a strange new world that is so vast and so rich and so varied; a representation of over HALF the world's population; and YET, only the slightest understanding is afforded one who doesn't know the languages or cultures involved.

Along a whole different line, I've always had a soft spot for singers such as Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como and Tony Bennet; the Italian-American crooners for some reason, appealed to me even before they came into vogue via the "mob" movies and so forth. Back in the 1980s, if you were either a "baby boomer" or a "generation Xer", Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como and Tony Bennet were the epitome of "square"; it was "easy listening" music for grandma and grandpa; now-a-days they're all so "cool"; even my son who is in college and likes Lady Gaga says how "cool" is Tony Bennet who I gather recorded a duet with Ms. Gaga.

I really like the colors and the textures which are created by those Italian-American crooners. While Sinatra is often placed in a category all his own, Dean Martin's recordings from the 1950s reveal a voice of dynamic range; both smooth and soulful...later during the 1960s and beyond, Dean settled on a more country-flavored approach when he did songs such as "Houston" and "Little Old Wine Drinker Me", and I don't that that Dean Martin or his producer Jimmy Bowen were using this incredible voice to it's full potential. Along this line, Sinatra kept working with different producers and different orchestras; he was always trying new things; some of it good; some of it lousy; but Sinatra was always trying really hard while Dean was sitting back and just doing what he was told and waiting to get to the golf course.

What I like best about these Italian-American crooners is the contrast; where you have these handsome, macho, Italian-American guys; some of whom, such as Sinatra and Dean Martin who even had mob connections; and while you know that they're full of testosterone, they still manage to sound vulnerable as they sing these "torch songs".

Along this line, even as a heterosexual man; I can see that Dean Martin was so handsome that he probably could have been a garbage man and still had the women falling over him.

Perry Como, by the way, was a little different; more wholesome with the cardigan sweaters; along this line in the Italian American neighborhood where I grew up in, Perry Como was the favorite of everybody's grandmother. Even so; Como has an interesting sound; somewhat along the lines of Bing Crosby; he was even a bit jazzy at times; he sang through his nose and not from the diaphragm, so he had a softer sound. Now that Perry Como is almost entirely forgotten by anyone under the age of about eighty, it' hard to believe that at one time he was one of the highest paid entertainers.

Through all of it, Jazz, and now that I think of it, a hand full of those Italian-American crooners; are the only other genres that even came close to classical music; and today, classical music remains my favorite; and even when I do listen to Jazz or those old crooners or any other genre that I've described; I think that I approach it with a classical music mindset; actively listening for colors, textures, contrasts, and the organization, and the underlying message involved.

Conversely, I've always had an aversion to rock music, not all of it but the stuff with the loud electric guitar solos. I guess when it comes to rock music, the Beatles are about as far as I go. I like very little American pop music; practically no rap, hip-hop, house music, soft rock or techno music.

Anyway, as I've said, many times in this forum, I've always been something of an odd duck when it comes to music; and even now there a lot of people out there who think I'm a little bit of a flake. During the 1980s, while my peers were trying to find whatever they saw on MTV, I was rooting around the classical music section of the record stores. Then again, a psychologist did once tell me that I failed to "identify with my peer group".

Now I'm not so sure if it was a bad thing.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:01:47 AM PST
T. Anderson says:
when i die, my classical collection will become the t anderson memorial classical music library. not that anyone will care or visit, haha! but i have extensive knowledge and recordings of all the major (and several minor or relatively unknown) composers of the past 400 years, plus some pre-baroque. cd count would have to be several thousand, not including extensive downloads.

as for non-classical, thorough knowledge of many of the major hard rock & progressive bands from the late 60's through the 80's (and some beyond). bands like zeppelin, black sabbath, deep purple, rainbow, ozzy, dio, cream, hendrix, van halen, emerson lake & palmer, rush, clapton, the stones, the who, as well as many of their spin-offs. for most of those bands, i have everything they have put out; purple, rainbow, sabbath, van halen & rush being my favorites (rush the ultimate favorite... if i could only ever listen to one band, it'd be them).

i also like quite a bit of not so heavy, i guess it'd fall into the general "pop" category, although things scatter widely, at this point. prince is a major, major favorite here, having everything he's released, plus a ton of bootlegs that i've acquired over the past 25 years or so. i have a wide range of other stuff, but nothing anywhere near as extensive as prince.

i have quite a bit of other music, like electronica/dance/techno (however that all categorizes), as well as jazz (a mix of old and new). but neither of those is as extensive as the hard rock/prince/classical, although i have a ton of moby.

so yes... it is possible to be hardcore classical and non-classical, if my collection and listening habits are any indication.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:17:36 AM PST
Mahlerian says:
My tastes are heavily eclectic. In addition to a large classical library (although not as large as many of yours', I'm sure), I listen to a lot of video game soundtracks (giving away my age here). I have a little bit of Jazz, and I'm looking to learn a lot more. I hear pop/rock mainly through my friends and peers, and I'm knowledgeable about current trends, even though I find most of the music relatively dull. The rock music I enjoy is generally from several decades ago.

In addition, I have more than a passing interest in the traditional music of Bali and Japan, especially the latter (my second language). Japanese music comes from another world entirely. It's a shame that that heritage has been largely lost to the modern world, which is overrun by banal pop. Even to the Japanese, their traditional music is "exotic".

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:58:27 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 12, 2012 10:06:59 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:58:50 PM PST
HB says:
While I cannot claim being hard core, I certainly enjoy big band music and broadway shows. As for rock I like the very best songs like the Beatles but I have no interest in hard or acid rock and absolutely no interest in rap.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:46:26 PM PST
Auntie Lynn says:
They are not mutually exclusive. In my business, I have to have everything from Gregorian chant to Sorabji...keeps it fresh!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:56:09 PM PST
I despise all kinds of pop music, but consider myself a hardcore jazz fan, yes. For instance I think Henry Threadgill is a very interesting composer.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:06:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 4:14:02 PM PST
David Mayer says:
I don't know that it's even possible to be hardcore about classical music. Someone might be a hardcore Baroquist/Romantic/modernist/operaphile/balletomane - maybe more than one category, but who has the time to be equally knowledgeable about every style?

I listen to hours of classical music each day, study scores, and read biographies of composers, but I've never intentionally listened to Spohr.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:58:15 PM PST
I grew up listening to nothing but opera, branching out to symphonies a bit later. I never lost my passion for opera, ever. But when the 60s began to invade our lives, I feel madly and deeply for the Beatles. I have continued to this day to have a 'split' music personality. My major dvd collection is operatic and I adore the operas that have become feature films. Loseys' 'Don Giovanni' in particular. I've branched out a bit and listen to alot of Indian music probably due to Ravi Shankars influence on George Harrison. Since I just recently retired I have more time to listen and watch dvds. So, every day I get a dose of opera, Beatles, Dylan, and occasionally Indian music. But as HB quoted in an earlier post, I cannot stand current pop music, rap etc.. just let me have a decent opera, Bealtes etc. and I'm a happy person.
Thanks
Bonnie

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:18:42 PM PST
Joe Anthony says:
I like Ravi Shankar, only I found him by way of the recordings he made with Yehudi Menuhin. This places Lord Menuhin only two degrees away from George Harrison; and actually, Yehudi Menhuhin is doubly related by two degrees through a recording that he made of the Brahms horn trio, that also included his sister, Hephzibah, and a horn player named Alan Civil who was featured on a Beatles song.

Can you name which one?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:26:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:15:10 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:29:45 PM PST
Lez Lee says:
'For No-one' from Revolver. He was also with the orchestra on 'A Day in the Life'.
I was a contemporary of John Lennon and was at the girls' school next door to Quarry Bank when he was there. One of our posters on UK Music Forum was at school with him but two years below him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:00:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:08:45 PM PST
Joe Anthony says:
@Lez Lee:

Alan Civil may have played on those Beatles songs; but I was thinking of a different song. There's a song on "Magical Mystery Tour" that has a very prominent horn solo, and it is Alan Civil; who also played the Brahms trio with Yehudi Menuhin and his sister Hephzibah.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions