Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

The Greatest Mozart recording ever made?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2011 2:22:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011 2:47:10 AM PST
Mandryka says:
From an unlikely source, a small Russian label, comes one of those CDs that simply blows all competition out of the water.

Vista Vera is run by a lover of music, that is for sure. And there have been many recordings of various levels of quality which have appeared during its existence. Many have been ruined by a policy of over filtering. But for VVCD-00161 its owners sourced a truly great performance of Mozart by, arguably one of the greatest Mozart players of his or any age: Emil Gilels.

On this CD the Mozart he plays is The Piano Concerto No. 27 in B flat major, K. 595, acompanied by the USSR State Symphony Orchestra. Gilels led the orchestra himself in the Great Hall of the Moscow Conservatoire on 28.12.1974

Gilels was in his absolute prime when he made this recording in the 1970s. I prefer it in every way to the well known studio recording he made with Karl Bohm. Now that we have this recording we can see how Bohm's pastoral approach was at odds with Gilels's own conception of the work. So, what we get here is the pianist uninhibited unleashed upon some of the greatest music Mozart ever wrote.

The whole CD is simply an astounding display of musicianship, technique, temperament, poetry, passion, well, everything that goes to make up a performance of a lifetime.

A quick look at amazon.co.uk shows it is easily available, and it's also orderable directly through Vista Vera's website. Good thing too: this CD really needs to circulate.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 10:22:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2011 7:42:13 AM PST
Piso Mojado says:
Where is *HENRY JAMES* when we need him? I doubt Gilels would ever make my list of even "outstanding" Mozart concerto recordings ... that, as you all know would be Edwin Fischer, but I'll try to hear Gilels in the 27th, which is perhaps accidentally rather valedictory sounding to me, and not really one of my favourites., although I like Schnabel's. Still, any Mozart concerto is a sort of miracle. A rather overwhelming Russian Mozart recording is Golovanov's of the Requiem (whoever commissioned it).

A very good and little-known Mozart recording is Karajan's later "Adagio Fugue in C-minor" with the Berlin strings, recorded in a Swiss church near his home. And the Gran Partita Serenade for 13 Winds we recently discussed in Furtwaengler's recording could be a contender. Other small perfections: Schwarzkopf's "Nehmt meinen Dank", Landowska's E-flat sonata, Grumiaux's and Oistrakh's third violin concerto, the great string Divertimento by Heifetz, Primrose and Feuermann that Tovey called incomparably the greatest string trio extant. And anything, anything by Edwin Fischer. Also outstanding: Benedetto Michelangeli's concertos, especially No. 20, and Rubinstein's adagio of No. 23, F-sharp minor, with a tenor waiting in the wings, and Lili Kraus's "Salve tu, Domine" variations.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 7:32:23 AM PST
For someone new to Mozart I could think of worse places to start than Kempff's 24th. I never seem to get tired of this movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=bmb7QXtKujs&NR=1
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions