Customer Discussions > College forum

$39 Prime Account

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 212 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2012 11:37:02 AM PST
Laura I says:
After graduating from college I got this email:

http://consumerist.com/assets_c/2011/07/prime-thumb-500x357-52118.jpg

I had been enjoying the 1 year free Student Prime and it said I could get my first year of Prime for half off. I thought, 'ok, I'll bite'.

Today I was trying to link my husband's Amazon account to my prime membership and unable to do so, I called customer service. They gave me a ton of run around and poor instructions. Finally they told me I still had a Student Prime Account. I told them 'no, that had expired and I had paid for this one. I had gotten an email for a special half off promotion'. They had no idea what I was talking about.

They said they would try and find the email and were unable to do so. They basically accused me of lying. They said there are things you can't do with a Student Prime Account, like link accounts or stream movies. I said, "but I have access to the free movies". They threatened to report it and have movies blocked from my account! I even asked to talk to a supervisor and got even more attitude.

I mean, how misleading is the email they sent me for the half off prime membership? If I remember correctly, when I had the free Student acct, I believe it said "student prime", now it just says "prime". I might be making that up... but I think that's what my account used to say. I have been with Amazon for 10 years, have an Amazon credit card and everything and have never had such bad service.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 5:52:29 PM PST
henry faiman says:
I am having the same issue

On hold right now with someone telling me it's a student account

here is the email

Dear Amazon Student member,

Your year of FREE Two-Day Shipping will end January 13, 2012. Because you are a valued Amazon Student member, we would like to offer you an Amazon Prime membership for only $39/year (normally $79/year).

"we would like to offer you an Amazon Prime membership for only $39/year (normally $79/year)"

This is Horrible customer service
been on for over a hour now arguing about it

trying to tell me it was not send from them
If it wasn't some one else has my info from them it had the date my student account expired , the fact that i was a student member.

There not trying to take care of this at all, all they needed to do was give me the account i paid for

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 6:15:19 PM PST
henry faiman says:
Just got off the phone with them, 1 1/2 and they took care of nothing

I have to revaluate my shopping preferences

this was clearly false advertising and they CLEARLY don't care about their customers

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 7:28:23 PM PST
Laura I says:
I completely agree with you Henry and feel the same way. I decided to file a complaint with the better business bureau because I feel like I have been completely mislead by the email from Amazon and also treated poorly by customer service.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 1:03:42 AM PST
The problem with the customer service department on things like this is that it's such a huge company that the old "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" thing tends to happen more often than any of us would like. I know I've had my fair shair of these issues. But, the key is to realize when the person you're talking to has no idea what you're talking about, and not drag it out with them if they're clueless. I find if I contact them at random times until I get someone that within a few minutes knows what I'm talking about, I spend FAR less time on resolving whatever the issue is.

But, to put it in a nutshell: If you got a $39/year Prime service offer after signing up for your free promo period of the Amazon Student program, it IS part of the Amazon Student program and is thus a paid Amazon Student account. Since it is a paid account, you should not only have access to the two-day shipping, but the streaming movies and Kindle Lending Library as well. However, since it is an Amazon Student account meant for students and offered at a discount, you can NOT add other people to your account, unless you want to switch to a standard $79/year account.

I do think they should make all of this clearer, but it is all documented in writing in various locations. I wish they'd put it in a more prominent spot though, to avoid these issues. The really sad thing is, you can often get your questions like this answered here in the forums far faster than by the customer service department itself. But, in any case, I hope this helped clarify things.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 8:22:33 AM PST
Laura I says:
That certainly appears to be the case Tiffany. My problem is, the advertisement doesn't say, "extend for another year of Student Prime for $39" it says "get Amazon Prime for a special 50% off". What am I supposed to think that I am paying for? It is false advertising. And never says specifically what I do and do not get.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 3:38:31 PM PST
Karine G. says:
I would like to say that I am very upset that I do not have the free membership in the first place. I have place thousands of dollars in orders with the free prime student, but if they do not keep this promotion going, I will move on to a competitor.
Especially if I get attitude from this sompany

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 4:35:04 PM PST
henry faiman says:
So just heard from Willy Z. at Amazon.com

He stated they investigated the email and everything is correct and is I don't like it I can cancel the membership

So guess "we would like to offer you an Amazon Prime membership for only $39/year (normally $79/year)"

Translates to renew student account, and get 50% off of nothing because we are not going to give you the 79.00 account

And if you catch us in the lie you can just cancel and leave

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 4:35:49 PM PST
henry faiman says:
So just heard from Willy Z. at Amazon.com

He stated they investigated the email and everything is correct and is I don't like it I can cancel the membership

So guess "we would like to offer you an Amazon Prime membership for only $39/year (normally $79/year)"

Translates to renew student account, and get 50% off of nothing because we are not going to give you the 79.00 account

And if you catch us in the lie you can just cancel and leave

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 5:14:47 PM PST
Laura I says:
That's why I've had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, because Amazon isn't going to back down. They have 10 business days to respond to the complaint. I will post the result.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:11:17 AM PST
Go Laura! its false advertising crap I hate it!

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:28:41 AM PST
We hear your dissatisfaction with the fact that discounted Student Prime benefits are not shareable, and we're sorry that this policy has caused some confusion. The no-sharing policy is explained on the Amazon Student Help page (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200500380) and in the Amazon Student Terms & Conditions (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000522721). We're working today on training our Customer Service team to more accurately respond to questions on this topic.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:55:13 PM PST
cabbage50 says:
I just found the email stating I can get 50% ($39) off amazon prime. It does exist

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 6:15:14 PM PST
E. Lau says:
Dear Amazon Student,

It SPECIFICALLY says "Join Amazon Student again and you'll be eligible for Amazon Prime for only $39/year (normally $79/year)"
There is NO ambiguity. I paid the $39 dollars and the service rep told me I still have Amazon student and they will not do anything about fixing the sharing feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 6:25:25 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 17, 2012 6:27:35 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 6:28:35 PM PST
E. Lau says:
It wasn't in the email, its on the student link from the main Amazon Prime subscription site as of today. Just log into your prime account, search for amazon prime, go to the main Amazon prime signup page, and then click on the student link. I have a screenshot too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 8:38:26 PM PST
MommySan says:
Laura, has your 4 year eligibility expired? That is the limit for free student membership.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 8:55:37 PM PST
Laura I says:
I only ever had 1 free year.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 8:59:38 PM PST
Laura I says:
If I do not get satisfaction from my complaint with the Better Business Bureau, I plan on next filing a complaint with the Attorney General of Washington (Amazon is headquartered in Seattle). Clearly Amazon sees no fault in false advertising or admitting a wrong. Anyone can file a complaint if they wish to do so, here: https://fortress.wa.gov/atg/formhandler/ago/ComplaintForm.aspx

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 9:01:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 9:01:30 PM PST
Laura I says:
Sorry E.Lau, I misread your original post. That's why I deleted my reply.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:17:35 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 17, 2012 9:17:59 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:31:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 9:35:29 PM PST
I just got this email and this is a copy/paste of it word for word minus my name at the begining of the sentence:
"the free month of Amazon Prime digital benefits you received as a part of your Kindle Fire purchase is going to expire on January 24, 2012. To continue receiving access to Prime instant videos and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, sign up for an annual Prime membership

at the exclusive student rate of $39/year."

It specifically says I will continue receiving Prime instant videos and the Kindle Owners Lending Library. So whats up Amazon? I have not renewed my Prime membership (although I was going to) and if they are not giving the benefits advertised I won't. Those of you who have renewed and aren't getting what you're supposed to be getting should post this to places like reddit.com and other websites or blogs and make the issue known.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:33:57 PM PST
MommySan says:
For what it's worth, we've gotten everything as advertised.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 9:57:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 10:01:54 PM PST
Yep, me too. I have the streaming videos and the Kindle Lending Library, no problem. That doesn't even really seem to be an issue here at all. The only thing I CAN'T do is add family members onto my account, which to be honest isn't a big deal to me to get the service for half price. Heck, I just let them use my account if they need something. Problem solved. There's an awful lot of angst in this thread, but apparently it's a big deal to some people.

But, the misunderstandings over the streaming videos and Kindle Lending Library are clearly just what I said earlier, the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. If a customer service agent doesn't know anything about a half-price Amazon Student Prime account, then obviously they'll be confused if you start talking to them about it. If you keep talking to them about it at that point, you're just digging yourself into a deeper hole, and are going to make them think there's something "wrong" because as far as they know you shouldn't be getting those services on any kind of a $39/year deal, because they don't know about it. You're not going to "educate" a customer service person about a promotion they weren't informed about and then somehow get them to magically know the terms and conditions of that promotion in any way that'll let an issue be resolved. It just isn't going to happen.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:10:03 PM PST
Laura I says:
It's bait and switch. Bait you with Amazon Prime and then give you Amazon Student without you ever even knowing it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the College forum (464 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  College forum
Participants:  127
Total posts:  212
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 24, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions