Customer Discussions > Comics forum

What comic would you travel through time to prevent and why?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2012 11:32:35 PM PDT
If you had a time machine and could travel back and prevent any comic series or individual issue what would it be and why? For me it would be Spawn and everything else McFarland has done. I used to enjoy his Spider-Man but now I hate him so much all trace of him must be wiped out. Then if I had enough fuel or energy for another trip I'd wipe out Leifeld's body of work. Then Mark Silvestri. Dazzler would be a good series to prevent.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 11:39:04 PM PDT
If I could wipe out or thwart individual storylines then I would prevent The Death of Superman, Nightfall, Emerald Twilight, Infinite Crisis, Millenium, The Return of the Spider-Clone, all the usual suspects as far as bad/extremely unpopular storylines.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 8:44:31 AM PDT
S. Kelly says:
I don't remember the actual issue, but it was a Clive Barker Hellraiser comic. I was meeting a friend for lunch at a chinese restaurant and got there early so I went next door to browse the comic store. Picked up this comic and within a few pages a woman was strapped to a gurney, raped by a monster, left there for nine months, then Pinhead comes in, rips the baby out of her womb and tears it's head open.
I couldn't stop thinking about it through lunch and eventually went in the bathroom and barfed. (to be fair, the food was really bad too)

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 8:06:25 AM PDT
Blue Subie says:
Avengers #263/Fantastic Four #286 - bringing jean grey back. so much for integrity. now anyone can come back.
any issue of any comic company that kills off a character strictly because the title isn't selling at that time. hiring alan moore to do swamp thing shows how thinking out of the box can save a title.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 10:10:23 PM PDT
Nicos says:
One More Day :/

re: Alan Moore and Swampthing. Personally, I would love to get my hands on his Martian Manhunter series. Ya know, from the alternate dimension where DC didn't put another writer working on it a month or so before Moore pitched his ideas for it.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 12:06:28 AM PDT
Nicos do you know any other details about Alan Moore doing Martian Manhunter? Was it J.M. DeMatteis miniseries that beat it to the punch? That was pretty good as a reboot of his origin and tribute to Ray Bradbury. I think Moore ended up working some of his ideas and research into Dr. Manhattan's fondness for Mars. But that's all I know. Liked what Gaiman did with the Manhunter in Sandman.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 1:21:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 2:51:36 PM PDT
Nicos says:
I read the article or interview YEARS ago so I have forgotten the specifics. Sorry. It might have been the J.M. DeMatteis series, I don't know. All I remember is that they talked about how it would have been set in the 1950's and would have also dealt with the rampant MCarthyism and Communist witch hunts (the Red Menace from the Red Planet! ha) of that era. It might have even been mentioned in the forewards to either the DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore book or in one of the Swamp Thing books. I will look through my Swamp Thing TPBs to see if it is there.

*edit* So I spent some time googlng it from home, but I haven't been able to track down the exact interview. What I found all said that Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons pitched a Martian Manhunter mini-series to DC but it was shot down by "Jem: Son of Saturn" and Gerry Conway bringing the character into the JLA. They also wanted to do a Challengers of the Unknown mini-series as well. In this interview http://www.tcj.com/a-portal-to-another-dimension-alan-moore-dave-gibbons-and-neil-gaiman/ they talk about how some of their ideas for those series were ultimately recycled into Watchmen.

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 12:52:51 AM PDT
Thanks Nicos. That's interesting. Sad that so many possible stories didn't happen. But not all of Moore's DC work was good. I didn't care for his Vigilante story, or his Omega Men stories that much. The Green Lantern ones were fun.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 8:29:14 AM PDT
I would eliminate "Crisis on Infinite Earths."

This success of the series gave DC the idea "every single year, let's do a massive crossover event that people will feel compelled to buy," and they proceeded to do Legends, Millenium, Armagedden, Invasion, Zero Hour, Bloodlines, yadda yadda yadda. Oh, and it got them into the habit of reboot, re-reboot, re-re-reboot. When in doubt, reboot. When not in doubt, reboot.

What did the Crisis actually accomplish? "Oh, we have too many universes, it's just sooo complicated!" You had Earth-1, Earth-2 and the Earth Captain Marvel came from, and a bunch of "who the heck cares" universes. What do we have today? 52 universes, but the only ones we care about are Earth Prime (?), Earth-2, and "Earth One" (which only has one volume in print to date.)

Superman was radically altered immediately following the Crisis. Shortly before the latest reboot, nearly all of those alterations were reverted back to the old Earth-1 days,

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2012 9:03:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2012 11:12:01 AM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
Yup, I never really understood how Roy Thomas could spend all that time introducing us kids to all that cool DC history only to wipe it all out, along with most of his own contributions, just a couple of years later. Now Geoff Johns (Roy Thomas v2.0 in many a way) has done much the same with this DCNU thing.

If you're a pre-Crisis DC fan, you might dig the Five Earths Project ( http://www.5earths.info ). It's a shared fanficverse based on the premise of the COIE not quite happening.

After a moment's consideration about getting rid of awful things in comics, I think I might go back and stomp Alan Moore's father's junk into mush sometime prior to 1953. I'd also toss an infant Seth McFarland off a bridge onto a freeway in front of a speeding manure truck.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:02:47 AM PDT
Did you mean Scott McFarland? If you meant Seth that would be what TV show/movie careers would you most like to prevent and why? Why so much hatred for Alan Moore? You mean you hate every comic he has ever written with a passion? No exceptions? All of his superhero work, horror, sci-fi, fantasy, erotica, indie, songbooks, poems, and prosework? That seems like hyperbole. But in the case of Todd. Yes I do loathe everything he has ever done and spit on his entire career.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 2:07:45 AM PDT
Yeah, I've complained about the original Crisis for lo these many years too. As far as I'm concerned it can un-happen.

More recently, I'd undo Spider-Man "One More Day."

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 2:08:20 AM PDT
Why do you hate Todd Mcfarlane so much? I only ask cause he's pretty okay in my books. I haven't picked up any new Spawn comics after the Armageddon story line but still some of his older Spawn comics and his Spider-man run was awesome.
Also I'd stop DC from bringing Superman back, now THAT was a cop out!

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 7:41:21 PM PDT
Because of his unethical and unscrupulous business practices. He claims he owns the rights to Miracleman/Marvelman and has prevented the Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman series from being reprinted for at least a decade. Plus I cannot stand Spawn. I haven't read it in almost 20 years but what I did I hated. I wouldn't call what he did with the series "writing" and I don't like his overly cartoonish art. Plus the stories by Moore, Miller, Gaiman, Dave Sim, Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis, etc. also sucked. I despise Image as a company but I also despise the management and ownership of Marvel and DC for their unethical business practices. Image did a lot of damage to the industry in the early '90's buy encouraging comics speculators to buy multiple copies of issues in the hope that they would become valuable collectors items. They also encouraged gimmicks live variant covers but so did marvel and dc. When the bubble inevitably burst dozens perhaps hundreds of comic stores went out of business.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 11:47:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 12:01:40 AM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
That was Marvel, not Image.

All those writers you love? They always stink.

Todd McFarlane did more to promote creator rights than any of them. You resent him taking ownership of the MiracleMan name (bought fairly -- if he didn't, someone else would have) and ignore that Alan Moore claimed ownership of a character he only contributed his crappy "writing" to, with the only intent of preventing McFarlane from using it. Yes, McFarlane's magnanimity bit him in the ass because he never expected a drug-addled overrated hack to backstab him over a character he (McFarlane) actually created. So if McFarlane holds a grudge and maybe uses the MiracleMan property as leverage, he has every reason to.

But you have your preferences. You like all those British guys who came over and did nothing but try to undermine anything positive in American superhero comics.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:39:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 28, 2012 5:43:22 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 10:55:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 11:02:25 PM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
Heh... well, I missed most of that post since e-mail notification is limited.

If it were my call I would not have deleted your post for suggesting I am a Holocaust-denying pedophile Satanist because that level of absurd escalation is hilarious. I might have taken offense if it were at all reasoned, but that it was calculated as the opposite of the extreme anyone would suspect me of based on my posts here made it kinda... cute.

In case there is any question: yes, I have little problem with Zionists, I desire to protect children from corruption, and although I am not a true believer, I would side with rather than against Christians in just about any conflict. Politically I am a social conservative (egad!).

Since you're such an advocate of Neil Gaiman, I suppose you think nothing of him appropriating "Neverwhere" with no respect whatsoever to Jan Strnad and Richard Corben, who originated that term many years earlier. If Richard Corben were not one of the least confrontational people in the world, he might have taken that to court. Honestly, I think he should have, as Neverwhere is probably the most significant work in his career, and it's commercial potential seriously undermined by Gaiman's appropriation (the Amazon page for Corben/Strnad's Neverwhere associates it with Gaiman's work, fi). That's his decision, but it doesn't make Gaiman's action ethical by any stretch.

So, maybe what goes around sometimes comes around.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 1:08:04 AM PDT
I'm not familiar with the "Neverwhere" situation. Maybe there was a undisclosed pay-off. I don't follow Gaiman very much anymore. He can be predictable and twee and repeats himself a lot. I prefer his comics to his prose work. Haven't read any of his novels only some of his short stories. Hope you post doesn't get deleted.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:54:03 PM PST
R.J. I'm curious what do you enjoy so much in Spawn and McFarland's other comics? The action scenes? The portrayal of the Heaven, Hell etc.? The characters?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 5:12:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 5:22:46 AM PST
R. J. Satori says:
Meh. Most of the time it was Greg Capullo doing the really nice work in Spawn.

McFarlane really put me off in the '80s with that reedy pen-inked style of his, but somewhere along the line he caught onto Eastern design principles that were practically taboo in Western comics at the time. He really poured that on in his Spider-Man run, and some of the Spawn material (though iirc that was less consistent until Capullo came along). So as an artist I dug that.

Don't get me wrong, though. He's not my favourite artist, and as a writer he merely doesn't step on anything sensitive. His efforts with the Image secession, promoting creator ownership and independent publishing, are his most admirable contributions.

I also tend to agree with him that many 'pure' writers are given too much credit and clout in what is a fundamentally visual medium. He and John Byrne catch a lot of heat for saying things like that, but it's true.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:17:30 PM PST
J. Case says:
Spider Man making a deal with Mephisto. It completely undermines Spider Man.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:36:58 PM PST
C. Zajic says:
Peter David's "Tempis Fugit" Hulk Story line.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 3:55:40 AM PST
What about the Tempis Fugit storyline bothered and annoyed so much that you wish you could erase or prevent it? The concept or the execution or both? It didn't have any impact of the regular Hulk as a character did it? Not enough to damage him I would think.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 5:48:52 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
Not to give any spoilers away but Peter essentially went and pulled a "Dallas" and made the the few years after his last run essentially a dream.
This was just lazy writing in my opinion and wasn't worthy of such a good writer.
To me it was also burn to all the fans by telling them you invested all that time in nothing.
He also changed the way the Hulk got his name, which was originally a soldier on Gamma Base using the term hulk and the name sticking, to a teenage Banner calling a "mental image manifestation" of his MPD "Hulk". Too coincidental for my liking.
Third, he also made teenage Banner into a wannabe mass murderer by wanting to blow up the school he was attending.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:06:14 PM PST
Rob Lefield's run on Captain America!

I remember seeing a promo shot of his Captain America in late winter/early spring of 1996 and to say I was totally turned off is an understatement.

The Kingdom for being a totally undeserving sequel to Kingdom Come.

Zero Hour because of its treatment of the JSA and its "utilization"of Captain Marvel.

The only reason why the JSA were basically killed off in Zero Hour was because Mike Carlin didn't like them,same reason why their 1992/1993 series was cancelled after 10 issues,never mind the fact it was actually selling very well.

I was also a bit peturbed by the lack of use of most of the characters shown in Zero Hour,especially Captain Marvel.In Captain Marvel,you have a guy who's just as powerful as Superman and he only gets 3 scenes and 2 lines in the whole thing("Tag,you're it!"and "Holy Moley!")

My thinking was:"Why have him if you're not gonna use him!"
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Comics forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions