Customer Discussions > Comics forum

Grant Morrison's Animal Man run

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2012 11:50:46 AM PST
Okay, I am really not a fan of anything Morrison has written- I respect that people like him but he's just not my cup of tea in anything I've read, notably anything involving Batman. I also found his x-men and All Star Superman vastly overrated. (Again, that's just me, I know they are highly regarded by most.) With my dislike of the work I've read of his, what are the chances I'd dig his Animal Man run? (I know that's a loose question). I've heard such awesome things- I'm an Animal Man newbie and picked it up during the new 52 and was impressed, but I know Morrison's arc is considered the definitive run.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 11:58:16 AM PST
Evangelion says:
You wont like it. Animal man is accessible at first but it gets more and more Morrison like you could say as it goes on. Jeff Lemires Animal is more horror and psychedelic with family dynamics to help push it. Though it never gets too hard are to understand though or too out there like Morrison's run.

May I ask why you did not like all star superman?

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 5:45:55 AM PST
Esgaldil says:
Post-modern exploration of the form of superhero comics - characters looking out at the reader, Buddy confronting Grant himself, overt references to continuity problems... plus PETA propaganda. Its praise is well deserved - it's one of the most imaginative and challenging monthly superhero titles you'll ever find, but it's not for everyone.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:23:52 AM PST
Thanks for the replies. It wasn't that I disliked All-Star Superman as such- I suppose I just believed the hype about (about it being the definitive Superman tale etc) so my fault perhaps for having my expectations too high. I just felt some of the characterization was off and it just didn't grip me in the way I hoped it would. :-)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:23:22 PM PST
Issues 1-4 are fairly standard superhero stories in the post Watchmen style. Issue 5 The Coyote Gospel is where it really takes off. I admire Grant's commitment to Animal Rights, Veganism, and the Enviornment but in his last issue he confessed that superhero comics probably aren't the best format to explore these issues. Lot's of fun, obscure characters show up. Just as Swamp Thing had to encounter almost every other plant based character (don't think he ever met Poison Ivy), Animal Man encounters almost every other character with animal powers. Grants first chance to write Superman and the Justice League. Liked how he used the Morphogenic field theory to explain AM's powers.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 12:37:57 AM PST
Nicos says:
I think it is worth reading. Yeah it goes into sort of meta-territory (but Morrison made a lot of points that I actually agreed with. Particuarly Psycho Pirate's spiel about how the Multiverse and all the goofy characters made for "better" stories), but the characterization of Buddy and the family dynamic they had going on is really good. Plus there are several execellent standalone issues. The Aforementioned Coyote Gospel, the one with the Red Death and the one with the Time Commander are all personal favorites.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Comics forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions