Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Comics forum

Super Villains Which are Misguided and Which are Evil?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2012 10:58:19 PM PST
J. Case says:
Misguided Their goals could be good but their methods are messy.
Magneto wants to prevent mutant holocaust so he thinks the solution eliminate humans.

It could be debated if some super villains are Misguided or Evil, although there ones that are overt evil.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:59:31 PM PST
S. Kelly says:
Dr. Doom is probably my favorite all-time villain. I think I originally thought he was just pure evil, but he really thinks, since he is so incredibly arrogant, that the world would be a better place if everyone just admitted to his obvious superiority in everything and allowed him to have control of the world.
Is that misguided?
I AM DOOM!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:50:11 PM PST
gambitrmp says:
Well S. Kelly, on that note I'm sure MANY might qualify. Sadly I think Hitler might qualify. I think Luke Skywalker once said or was told that almost all those we consider evil think that they are right.

Lex Luthor has a similar way of thinking with Doom. He thinks he can run the world for the bettermant of humans rather than rely on (an) Alien(s) to save the day. Him & Magneto def. wouldn't seem to get along.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 2:11:44 AM PST
J. Case says:
From what I have read Marvel creates characters that are suppose to be relatable, and realistic.
Doctor Doom Is he a Narccist that never thinks he's wrong? I think he can be put in the category of misguided. He wants to prove he's smarter than Mr.Fantastic, and that the world would be a better place if he was in charge.

Evil
Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) He has made Spider Man's life hell, got Gwen Stacy pregnant, threw her off a bridge, but then to outdo himself he tells the kids it's Spider Man that's responsible for their mothers death. Proof that it's even harder to keep a bad man down.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 3:52:29 PM PST
S. Kelly says:
Hmmm...maybe he's misguided AND evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 7:37:05 PM PST
J. Case says:
Which one are you talking about Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) or Doctor Doom?

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:58:08 PM PST
J. Case says:
Evil
Thanos He'll killed millions of his race,killed Silver Surfer but then brings him back to life mocking him, decimated the planet Rigel 3, and to be become the boyfriend of Death he'll kill vast aliens or non aliens to please Death.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 7:59:21 AM PST
Frankie D says:
Two-Face. He wants to kill bad guys but he does go after Batman and other innocent people. Takes out mob bosses but then he has his own gang and hurts others. Well he is crazy and he lets a coin decide his fate. A lot of people have tried to help him but he seems far gone. Still a good villian that is kind of misguided but evil at times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 12:08:43 PM PST
J. Case says:
What about Ras Al Ghul Do you think he's a mix of Both?

Darkseid The Monarch of Apokolips, wants to control all life living things with the Anti Life Equation. Kidnapped Supergirl brainwashed her using black kryptonite for leader of his Female Furies that failed. Think of all evil in one person, and everything you don't want in a alien that's Darkseid. Superman is the Ultimate Good and Darkseid is the Ultimate Evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:47:37 PM PST
gambitrmp says:
Darkseid is sort of like a Klingon in my eyes. He comes from a world that hasn't really gotten beyond Survival of the fittest as the model for living. It's like I'm not a fan of that boxer who had the match with Big Show. Then I see the background he came from. His smug arrogance and desire to intimidate people becomes more apparent. Not trying to say Darkseid isn't evil but his motivation seems to have a logic to it. Of coarse we know he's smarter than just someone living off base instinct so still evil, yes.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 10:10:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 10:10:49 PM PST
J. Case says:
Mr. Sinister The name is self explanatory he is evil. If Ghost Rider ever gave him the penace stare it would be execrable for him, a twisted version of Charles Darwin.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 7:04:22 AM PST
Osborne used to be misguided/crazy until recently he still crazy but even when sane he is now writing as a evil SOB which I find to be a easy way out for writers. And for the record he did not throw Gwen off that bridge he threw spidey off a bridge and spidey knocked gwen off and then snapped her neck trying to save her. So kind of spideys fault on that one. I think goblin was even like "oh crap, opps" on that one. I'm not even going into the whole getting gwen pregnant demon junk as at that time I use may imagination and go "yep none of that happened." About the time Spidey became dead to me in his own books.

Darkseid is evil but how much of that is in his nature and how much of it is his upbringing can be debated. Although I remember on story maybe Kingdom Come where Orion has took Darkseid place and had started to become just as cold as he was. So maybe its in the blood. I do not think Darksied has much in common with klingons they have much more honor and courage then Darksied.

Ra's is just misguided maybe he might very well be right though same with doom!

Well doom is always right even when he is wrong he is right. Thats what I like about doom he is arrogant evil and is as good as he thinks he is maybe better. He has constantly proved he is more powerful and smarter then well everyone outside Val and maybe even her. But just because your always right doesnt mean your a great person or leader.

Thanos yeah he's pretty much evil.

Lex both evil and misguided. Though I'd like a writer to switch it up and show lex as being right about a lot of things even morally in his philosophy while still showing him to be evil.

Two face is just nuts... so I dont think I could call him evil just very insane. To be evil I feel you need a certain sense of right and wrong and he doesn't have that. His coin is his conscience so I couldn't really call him evil. Bad yes evil not so sure. Scarecrow evil, Joker evil, Two face is just tragic.

Clay Carnage is evil it wasnt the suit that was all him. I really miss that guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 10:45:39 AM PST
J. Case says:
So you are telling me Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) didn't throw Gwen Stacy off a bridge?

Darkseid grew up in Apokolips. Like Mephisto creating Blackheart from murder, rape and all other kinds of evil Darkseid likely was doomed to become evil. Did Superman Red Son Prove that who we are raised by, and where is likely to make us the people we are?

Doctor Doom didn't listen to Reed Richards for his invention suffered consequences, also possibly burned his own face both of these avoidable so he's wrong. If he was so much smarter than he would use his knowledge to cure cancer, human baldness, world hunger, etc but since he's insecure that Mr.Fantastic could be as shrewd as him and wants to prove he's the smartest man in the Universe it won't happen.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 1:56:23 PM PST
No, Goblin did not throw Gwen off the bridge he throw spidey and spidey knocked gwen off the bridge and spidey snap here neck with a web line. Even though I dont really recommend reading the new series, but this last issue they actually referenced this. MJ was falling and spidey ock was all "I'm going to save her" and maybe get some in the process. Ghost peter is freaking out telling him not to use a straight web line as it would break her neck (like it did gwens). SO he used a web net instead. One of the better moments in the book.

For superman sure but Orion was rasied in a near utopia and became much like his father Darkseid though none of these are canon stories. Its the old nature vs nuture studies and no ones knows for sure. But for Canon Big Barda was raised on Apokolipse and Raven is the daughter Trigon and raised in the belief of inaction and passivity both became Hero's.

Their are several stories of what happen some were what you said some were a experiment went wrong, one even was nothing was wrong with his face at all, another was he only hide a small scar, another that it was the mask itself that caused his disfigurement. But then Bryne took over and established much of what we know of doom today it changes here and there.

Dooms problem is his arrogance, his pride. He will know very well that he has made a mistake his pride just refuse for him to make the change. He is doom any mistake he made he should be able to overcome because well he is Doom! Even in Bryne run the accident only left him a small scar and it was the armor and his foray into Black Magic that caused his disfigurement. Unwilling to be made to wait for the armor to cool and Ssssss.. there goes his face.

Besides how many times has Doom warned Reed as well and Reed doesnt listen do to his mistrust and isolation. Reed has done some boderline evil stuff as well.
Smarter has nothing to do with a willingness to do good.

The idea that Doom is and always has been evil is a more recent development started by Waid.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2013 2:08:22 AM PST
J. Case says:
Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) still kidnapped Gwen Stacy while can't deny the cause of death for Gwen Stacy was Spider Man making the bad decision to try to save her with a web when she was going down fast it was the best he could do in a bad situation because he can't fly, and doesn't have Superman speed.
Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) kidnaps Gwen Stacy, puts her in a area where a fight will take place involving 2 superhumans that is high up. So hard to deny I think that Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) still is mostly to blame.

I'm not saying Mr.Fantastic is perfect because that would be bs but it's Doctor Doom that thinks every week it's the Super Bowl for him to prove he's the smartest Man in the Universe wanting to beat the Fantastic Four, and anyone else.
Mr.Fantastic is flawed but Doctor Doom has flaws that make him a hostile deadbeat execrable bastard.
He hates Mr.Fantastic so much that he decides to send his kids to Hell.

Doctor Doom is listed as Neutral for allignment on Marvel Database.
Even if he isn't evil his actions are still destructive.
I didn't say smarter has to do wit has a willigness to do good I was listing the problems Doctor Doom could be solving but he's not because he continues to choose to fight the Fantastic Four, and others wanting to prove he's the smartest man in the Universe.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 7:37:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2013 7:46:24 AM PST
gambitrmp says:
Just for clarity when I said Darkseid was SORT OF like a Klingon I meant in terms of both being societies that embrace warlike behavior only. Not something we exactly endorse which could be called hipocritical since it's in our own history enough of the time. We Americans (originally English, French, etc) conquered the Native Americans to build out country & went over to Africa to bring over thier inhabitants as slaves. Yeah, non-model behavior is certainly in us. Imagine how evil we'd be written if the native americas won or if Africa was strong enough to oppose us back then?

Now I don't even know how much of Apocalypse being a warlike planet is because Darkseid is in charge or if it was like that before he was even in charge. Just not a level of comic history I even really know.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 4:02:38 PM PST
Luthor I feel is more evil then Doom Luthor has solved all those problems but refuses to release any of them to continue to make money off non cures. Doom just feels he is above shuch things. Doom is rather destructive though. :)

I alaways Liked doom but only know so much I havent finished Hickmans Run and was interested in seeing where his relationship with Val was going. Uncle Doom!

As far as Reed no real point just saying Reed could probably do everything you said doom should as well but is more concerned with these crazy lofty experiments that nothing more than observation.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 11:49:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 12:26:53 PM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
I miss the silver age Luthor, who wasn't really evil at all, but just was a victim of fate that put him into a "villain" role. There was the accident that destroyed his hair, the death of his family when he decided to reform, etc. Lex never caught a break. And truth to tell, he had a lot of legitimate beefs against Superman. Superman really did (accidentally) make him go bald. He really did contribute to the destruction of the planet where Lex had settled down to have a family. It wasn't all one-sided, though Luthor's methods of dealing with these injustices were generally misguided. Funny that the older version of the character was the one with more realistic depth.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 1:38:43 PM PST
J. Case says:
It's Apokolips for the planet that Darkseid is the ruler of.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 1:46:09 PM PST
J. Case says:
The problem with that Lex Luthor his motivation was flimsy.
The better Lex Luthor is one that thinks Superman stole his thunder when Superman shows up in Metropolis, thinks he's a hinderance to humans becoming more advanced, and that humans should be following him.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 12:48:13 AM PST
J. Case says:
Pure Evil
Bullseye He enjoys creating pain, killing people, also hurting those close to Daredevil.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 12:17:24 AM PDT
J. Case says:
Pure Evil Doctor Light He's a murderer and a rapist.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 6:25:40 AM PDT
W.T. Keeton says:
"The problem with that Lex Luthor his motivation was flimsy.
The better Lex Luthor is one that thinks Superman stole his thunder when Superman shows up in Metropolis, thinks he's a hinderance to humans becoming more advanced, and that humans should be following him."

I would have agreed with you concerning the pre-crisis version up until the early eighties. When they revamped Luthor and put him into the armor, they also gave him a greater motivation. Luthor had traveled to another planet, settled down and started a family. He had given up his chase of Superman. But Superman would not "let him go" and ultimately contributed partially to the destruction of Luthor's new world (Luthor himself also played a big role in it, but much in the vein of his original "hair accident", he blamed Supes exclusively).

From then on, he just wanted to kill the man who had "destroyed his life".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 5:00:10 PM PDT
J. Case says:
Was it ever specefied why Superman still decided to fight Lex Luthor even though he longer lived in Metropolis?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Comics forum (548 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Comics forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions