Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Comics forum

Favourite dialogue \ quote in a comic?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2012 8:12:07 AM PDT
There's loads- some emotional, some just damn cool, some which are relevant to everyday life. These 2 still resonate for me years after I've read them:

Rorschach: 'Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.'

Karen Page: 'I'm sure this sounds I want 10% more from someone who's already given me 120%. I must sound irrational..but who ever said the heart was rational?' (from Daredevil: Guardian Devil)... this is one is more a personal fave, as the letter she wrote this in to Matt was pretty much mirroring what was going on in my life at the time.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 5:46:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2012 5:23:15 PM PDT
Elvin Ortiz says:
"Sometimes I think there is a conspiracy against me. I mean, things like this just don't happen to all the other costumed clowns. I mean... When was the last time Clark Kent found kryptonite in his phone booth?"
The Amazing Spiderman #120 May 1973

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 1:53:04 AM PDT
Calvin: It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...Let's go exploring!

That line will stay with me forever = )

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 7:55:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2012 5:24:46 PM PDT
Elvin Ortiz says:
Mr. Rogers - "He's falling right into the acid tank!"
Mr. Stryker - "Aaaaaaaaaaa!"
Batman - "A fitting end for his kind."
Detective Comics #27 May 1939
These were the days of Pulp Batman. First Batman story.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 6:13:23 PM PDT
Elvin Ortiz says:
"Why do I do it? Why do I continue risking my life... causing a thousand unnecessary problems... a thousand heartaches and sleepless nights? Have I an insane lust for power... a need to feel more important than those around me?"
Amazing Spider-Man #45, February 1967

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 8:35:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 8:36:40 AM PDT
The whole multi-page opening monologue by Norrin Radd in Silver Surfer #1, about why he's discontent living in a seeming utopia, and longs for the days when there were still discoveries to be made and adventures to be had. IMO, it's the best soliloquy Stan ever wrote.

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 5:22:40 PM PDT
Elvin Ortiz says:
A tank is on fire.
Jeb: "Hold it Slim! We don't throw eggs... till they're ready to hatch!"
G.I. Combat #148 July 1971
I just love Kanigher's war metaphors.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 3:39:52 PM PDT
Elvin Ortiz says:
Robin: "He (the villain Vreekill) electrocuted himself."
Batman: "Well, he saved the state the job!"
New York World's Fair Comics 1940 issue

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 9:42:15 PM PDT
Nicos says:
This is why I loved Tony Millionaire's Batman comics. He used this exact sort of ending:

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 2:44:25 PM PDT
Elvin Ortiz says:
Narrator: Deep in the recesses of an unexplored African jungle, a small safari makes slow progress through trackless foliage... as the heavy mantle of green blots out the torrid sunlight above..."
Tarzan of the Apes #207, April 1972
This is Kubert's opening of his first story of Tarzan.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:47:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 9:55:06 PM PST
"He dances like a madman, flinging himself between heaven and the pit, because he is Constantine and because he's alive." Don't have the exact wording in front of me. I think it was Dr. Occult but it might have been the Phantom Stranger in the original Books of Magic miniseries by Neil Gaiman and various artists. 1990.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:24:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 11:25:26 PM PST
"In this world, with great power there must also come -- great responsibility!"

The entire point of the super-powered hero genre in a single sentence.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:19:20 AM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
That is from Amazing Fantasy #15, the first Spider-Man story:
"And a lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, with great power comes great responsibility."

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:40:07 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
This one is also a classic.
"Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot. So my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must be a creature of the night, black, terrible... a...a..."
Guess what!
Detective Comics #33 November 1939

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:54:29 PM PST
Nicos says:
a dog?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:24:58 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
Narrator: Two pairs of lips meet, and two hearts thrill in one...
Superman #141 November 1960
This is when Young Love mixes with Superman.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 1:09:58 PM PST
"face it tiger you hit the jackpot" MJ to Peter Parker.

"I didnt have to kiss you but it seemed the more enjoyable alternative." Starfire after first kiss with robin in order to speak english.

"Do you wanna know chinese? German... French?" Changling AKA Beast boy to starfire after seeing her learn english from kissing Robin.

"...Because I am Doom!!..." Anything Dr Doom says ever in response to anyone doubting him ever.

"Brightest Day in blackest night blah blah blah, good enough." Guy Gardner

Justice league International
"You flew a plane into a building what if there were people in here" Black canary
"There wasnt." Batman
"How do you know" Canary
"I just do"
"What about the people below they could of been hurt"
"They werent.."
"Well how do you know that"
Glares "Because I'm batman."

"Hiya Pudding" Harley Quinn

"note to self..give naked dictation more often.." Norman Osborne

"Hey ever hear of a game called street fighter?" DP
"As I-" KP
"Shoryuken!!" DP
Deadpool Vs Kitty pryde

"Die evil liver spots Die!!" Deadpool and of course "Chimichangas!"

"Lets face it the last time you inspired anyone was when you were dead" Batman to superman

"Doom outta the way I'm taking the time machine thingy for a spin" Squirell girl barging in dooms catle like she owns the place.

"12th 12th smartest person on the planet I can live with that." -Amadaues cho

The whole scence between Hemrich Zemo and Moonstone when thunderbolts go back in time she tells him to have a kid and name him helmut.

"I swear to god if you go back to him I'll kill you myself and I'm not kidding" Posoin Ivy to Harley

And finaly "SPOOOONN" -The Tick

Thats enough for today.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:49:11 PM PST
amen i love that comic strip

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 6:33:46 PM PST
"Fin Fang Foom put you in his PANTS." next wave #2

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:13:24 AM PST
Art Franklin says:
Rocket Raccon: Can we call ourselves "Asskickers of the Fantastic?"

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:34:06 AM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
I just read this one From Kanigher and I got a kick out of it!
Sgt. Rock: Suddenly, a machine gun opened up on us like a bank that hadn't had a customer in years...

Sgt. Rock: He came down like a pancakin' stuka - right on the enemy gunners!
Our Army at War #89 (1959) This is what makes Kanigher's style unique.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:57:12 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
Another great simile from Kanigher dramatizing the fear of soldiers.
Sgt. Rock: ... Then, it was time... and we started down the hill towards the river... I was with three other men... and because the quiet felt like a dagger at our throats... they began kiddin' me.
Our Army at War #90 (1960)

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 4:42:33 PM PST
Elvin Ortiz says:
Taken from Casablanca, but the reference comes in handy in this issue when things between Peter Parker and Flash Thompson lighten up.
Peter Parker: Y'know Flash... I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
The Amazing Spider-Man #138 (Nov 1974)

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 8:26:53 PM PDT
Leon Evelake says:
Well just off the top of my head and probably not perfectly quoted.

The Rorschach "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked in here with me." is awesome.

Dr Manhatten
Did you think it would kill me? I've walked across the sun. I've seen events so tiny and so fast they hardly can be said to have occurred at all, but you... you are a man... and this world's smartest man means no more to me than does its smartest termite."

When allstar superman hugs the suicidal goth girl as she was about to commit suicide and tells her "Its never as bad as it seems, your much stronger than you think you are" . It may be the best superman scene ever.

From Aseamon Yamada "punished is not the man himself but the evil that resides within him"

Mild spoiler
From the end of punisher max long cold dark when talking about why he couldn't stay with his daughter
"That was the real problem, Far beyond being found by scum like Barracuda. Wherever I took Sarah Whatever kind of life I tried to build , A day would come whan I'd read the paper or watch the news--- And see something that needed to be done. The sun slipped away behind me, the last sliver seeming to pause on the horizon, then succumbing to the black. And I drove on through the shadows of America...through the long, cold, dark night that I've made of my life"

From berserk

" In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of God hovering above? At least it is true that man has no control; even over his own will."
Its nice and creepy and sets the tone well.

Guts : (thinking) Perhaps, this is what I was looking for my whole life. I hadn't realized it until this very moment, but everything I ever wanted back is right here before me, right now. Why don't I realize what I have until it's lost to me?

"Hate is...a place where a man, who can't stand sadness, goes."
Griffith: He so badly wanted to be a knight. I remember this boy well. When he looked at me his eyes filled with wonder as though I were a hero. Was he happy, I wonder? He died while pursuing his dream but...I think it was my dream that killed him.

Batman from the dark knight returns "it will be a good life .... a good enough life"

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 1:25:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2013 11:18:06 AM PDT
J. Case says:
From Ghost Rider (Vol6) Issue 4
Ghost Rider "Then I'll make him go back. I'll hunt him down, in all his forms, until only one remains, and Then... I'll drag him back into Hell myself."

The him he is talking about is Lucifer a Hell Lord not the Lucifer who is a enemy of the X Men.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Comics forum (547 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Comics forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions