Customer Discussions > Contemporary Romance forum

Recommendations for overweight heroines

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2009 3:48:30 PM PDT
Tracy Lord says:
I just finished reading Bet Me, the first Jennifer Crusie book I've read, and I loved it. I've only read a few romance novels in which the heroines are overweight, and I'm looking for more. I'd prefer contemporary romance with humor if possible, and I'd especially prefer that the heroine not be too self-hating. Any recommendations? (I've already read Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner.)

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 4:05:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2009 4:09:08 PM PDT
Tracy,

Here's a good list of curvy heroines for you from All About Romance: http://www.likesbooks.com/curvy.html

You might try these:
* He Loves Lucy by Susan Donovan
* Too Much Temptation by Lori Foster
* Tall Tales and Wedding Veils by Jane Graves

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 5:06:29 PM PDT
L. Burns says:
Hi Tracy,

You might like 'Just One of the Guys' by Kristan Higgins. Great heroine - not overweight but a "big" girl - just under six feet and very athletic/muscular...definately not a waif! She has great self-esteem and the book is very, very funny.

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 6:45:28 PM PDT
Tracy,
I too Loved 'Bet Me'. I also recommend Katie MacAlister's books. My fav is 'Corset Diaries' but, all of her heroines are plus sized women with a fab sense of humor and, my favorite thing good self-esteem.

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 8:30:19 PM PST
M. Deckard says:
I loved "The Next Big Thing" by Johanna Edwards. The main character is spunky and there is a great plot twist towards the end...

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 9:07:33 PM PST
Destiny says:
The Perfect Wife - Lynsay Sands is a historical romance but very funny.

It was to be hoped that her groom was partial to cherries. For Avelyn feared she would very much resemble one at their wedding feast. Too round, too red in the scarlet gown that was all she could fit into ... and perhaps too tart for his taste? No doubt he longed for a sweet, biddable bride, one who was as tiny and trim as she was trying to appear.

Paen Gerville longed for a lively, well-rounded woman, one whose plump breast would cushion his head after the lonely, harsh life of a solitary fighting knight. At first his wife-to-be promised no such delights-her form was unbending, her health apparently fragile as she fainted his arms after their first kiss. But one split bridal gown later, her assets were eye-poppingly apparent and Paen could only grin as he anticipated the surprises yet to come on his wedding night with

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 10:42:52 AM PST
Books says:
I love " The Greek Billionaire's Innocent Princess" and The Reivention of Chasisty".

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 11:11:50 AM PST
I love the Odelia grey series.... its not as romantic as what you might be looking for but Odelia is a realistic character and you have to adore a love triangle!

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 1:22:35 PM PST
kiwifan says:
"Snap Happy" by Fiona Walker has a very funny, curvy lead character.

Posted on Jan 25, 2010 12:34:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2010 12:36:12 PM PST
Moxie says:
The Little Lady Agency

The heroine transforms herself from a dull mouse into a va-va-voom pinup-type.

Posted on Jan 26, 2010 10:11:31 PM PST
Melissa says:
It's PNR, but my all time favorite full figured herione is Bride McTierney in NIGHT PLAY by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Maybe it's just that Vane is my favorite hero - Yum!

Also Judi McCoy's I DREAM OF YOU is really cute.

Posted on Jan 27, 2010 9:35:36 AM PST
A. Simpson says:
Oh yeah, Night Play is my fav book in that series and Vane is to die for! Size 18 Bride is a wonderful heroine too.

Posted on Jan 27, 2010 11:12:44 AM PST
OklaNannie says:
"He Loves Lucy" by Susan Donovan is one of the best I've ever read. All the characters are delightful and the story simply wonderful.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 12:12:17 PM PST
A. Simpson says:
"Jude's Law" by Lori Foster is wonderful! I'm reading it now, and don't want it to end...

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 9:41:44 AM PST
OneHotMama says:
Try the paranormal romance "Night Play" by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 9:51:23 AM PST
Jennefer says:
I have to thow in my support as well for "He Loves Lucy" by Susan Donovan, this is a fav for me! I swear I wanted to marry the hero not even 100 pages in, mmm... I Love Theo! :)

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 8:59:21 PM PST
JoJo says:
I loved "He Loves Lucy," too! I don't know if anybody has tried Meg Cabot's more adult romances/books. She has a series: Size 12 Is Not Fat; Size 14 Is Not Fat Either; and Big Boned. I loved them! Not as much romance, but did have some with a mystery. She has another series that is hilarious (I can't think of the titles right this minute; I'm sure it will occur to me as soon as I post...) but the heroine is always talking about her weight and using Spanx, etc... it is really funny!!!!

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 10:12:16 PM PST
OneHotMama says:
Big Girls Don't Cry by Cathie Linz. It's not the best book I've ever read, but still entertaining enough to recommend.

Posted on May 18, 2010 2:30:14 PM PDT
My novel, Nobody But You, has a plus-sized heroine who is not a basket case, but has some self-esteem issues courtesy of her ex, that is, until she meets a retired pro wrestler who thinks she's hot just the way she is. The book is not only about them falling in love, but about her learning to accept herself.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 9:40:47 PM PDT
lillibet says:
Check out T-R-O-U-B-L-E by Josie Arlington. Cooper is curvy and volutupous and has been beat down by abusive husband. She is a battered wife rescued by sweet alpha male Kyler who will move heaven and earth to keep her in his bed and in his life. He makes her believe that a man can be gentle, loving and sexy as hell.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 10:41:51 PM PDT
Banana Boat says:
You might also want also want to check out "Sweet Nothings" by Catherine Anderson. Molly is escaping from her ex-husband who has totally ruined her life. He's verbally abused her for years telling her how fat and ugly she is. She's a bit on the short side and very curvy. The HEA is that she meets rancher Jake Coulter and he's totally smitten with her. It's a very sweet read and leaves you with a good feeling. Sounds very much like T-R-O-U-B-L-E by Josie Arlington. Thanks lillibet, I'll be checking that one out!

Posted on Aug 8, 2010 11:23:45 PM PDT
mtr says:
Into His keeping, Stealing Carmen, and Slip Knot, by Gail Faulkner.

Posted on Aug 9, 2010 1:41:27 PM PDT
I just read The Giving Season by Rebecca Brock.. OH MY GOSH this was a good book, but have your kleenex handy, I teared up a couple times. It so good, although just a word of warning she is a self-hater and it does get old but even with that I really loved this book.

H/h meet on a bus the day before Thanksgiving, shes sick and theres no rooms at the only motel. He offers to share his room and takes care of her. The next day he offers her a place to stay at his dairy farm. He has three kids and a beautiful, jealous ex wife..

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 6:43:46 AM PDT
CMS says:
I loved Kathy Love's Stepp Sisters Trilogy and I believe two of the sisters' stories referred to them as on the chunky side. Its a super little trilogy.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 2:55:30 PM PDT
kiki says:
Too Perfect by Julie Ortolon. The heroine used to be really overweight and is now just a little chubby, but the hero helps her get past some of her self esteem issues and help her see how far she's come. Also, I second whoever reccommended Wanting Something More by Kathy Love. In fact, the entire Stepp Sisters trilogy is FANTASTIC.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Contemporary Romance forum (242 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Sep 13, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions