Customer Discussions > Cookbook forum

How do you keep track of your recipe comments???????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2010 6:18:41 PM PDT
Briochegal says:
My problem is keeping track of what recipe I used and whether or not it was successful. For example I have a gazillion recipes for oatmeal cookies, some are duds some are great. I want to keep a record of that so I don't make the duds again and which I should make again. I also make notes if I changed the recipe in any way. And I don't like writing in my cookbooks. How do others keep this info? Currently I use post it's but there must be a better hi tech way of doing this.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2010 6:46:32 PM PDT
slw says:
Brio: I have cookbooks that my Mom and Grandma wrote in. I love them. I am doing the same (I try to do it carefully and only once a recipe if at all. I put stars on the recipes I love and a frown on the recipes I don't care for. I think my daughter will enjoy reading all of my recipe thoughts one day. Post it's would drive me nuts.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 6:42:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2010 6:44:25 AM PDT
Bookworm says:
I have to agree with slw on this one. I refused to write in my cookbooks for a long time, but then realized it's really the only way to have all my information in one place. I too hope that one day some else will appreciate my notes and comments. I will write in substitutions and whether or not I liked the recipe. I sometimes even write about the first time I made the recipe for example "first made this for Dad's birthday, a new family favorite." Another suggestion you can do in addition or instead of writing on the pages of your cookbook is to write on what I call the "end-papers" of a cookbook. You know those totally blank pages at the end of a hardcover book after the index? I write the names and page numbers of favorite recipes here to make favorite recipes easier for myself and others who my use my books in the future to find. This way, at a glance I can locate all my go-to recipes in a particular book and of course I can always add to the list. In order to maintain the integrity of the books, I make sure to take my time, use a good pen, and write neatly. I really have not been disappointed with this method.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 7:23:05 AM PDT
slw says:
Bookworm: I really like the end-papers idea to keep track of favorite recipes. I have resorted to guessing and to seeing where the book naturally opens to (as in most used pages) which of course is not at all efficient or even very accurate.

Posted on Aug 3, 2010 10:59:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2010 11:09:23 AM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
I have been trying to figure this same thing out. Also, the problem of remembering from which of my many cookbooks a particular recipe came. I have finally come to a particular recipe software - "Living Cookbook". It's a really great program - I've actually had it for some time but hadn't really used it because entering all of the info can be tedious. It's great once it's in! but laborious getting it there. (To be fair, the software can 'capture' recipe info from online sources - which would be much easier. But I'm talking about entering my own favorites.) Anyway, I finally decided that I don't have to enter it all! Or, at least, not all at once. I enter the title of the recipe, and there is a field for author and source (where I put the name of the cookbook). There is a place for extra notes, and there I put the page number. You can make your own cookbooks, with chapters and subchapters however you see fit. And then there is a place for comments on the recipe itself. Just this effort is making menu planning easier for me. I will eventually fully enter my recipes (ingredients and procedures, etc), but for now this is helping me. I am also taking a close-up picture each time I make a recipe since the software allows a pic for each recipe...I'm loving it.

And, no, I don't work for them or even know them. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 4:38:44 PM PDT
slw says:
Kay: I have been thinking about making a cookbook for my daughter with all the recipes from our friends, family, cookbooks and internet. I can't tell you how many times I get a phone call or text with "how do you make that yummy lemon chicken again"? Would the software be good for that? What is the difference between using that and just typing up a word doc and print it out eventually? That's a great idea to use it to keep track of your favorite recipes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 6:51:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2010 6:55:55 AM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
This would be GREAT for that. Check out their website "livingcookbook.com". The support from the company is great. The website gives lots of info and they let you check it out free for 30 days. Their website shows feature lists, screenshots, and short videos of their software in action. They have a big forum, too...

A couple of years ago I was researching software and found them to be (I think) the best deal going. I still feel that way. I actually have an earlier version but am thinking about going ahead and upgrading to the current version. They make upgrading easy. I think the cost is pretty reasonable, too. They seem to be running a special on it right now. As I recall, you could either just pay electronically and download it or, for a couple bucks more, they would mail it to you in disc format.

They also put out "Diet Pro" - software for helping with diet, and a Bartender's Companion. Haven't checked into the Bartender's thing, since I rarely drink at all, but I'm sure it's great, too.

I love The Living Cookbook. It does so much more than I make good use of yet. It will calculate nutritional values and produce shopping lists for you (you can go as far as to track you pantry and freezer stock in this program and then when you put your menu together, it produces a grocery list specific to your needs for that menu. I'm not sure I need to go that far with it at this point, but I like that it can do this). You can rate the recipes (one star to five), input how much prep and total time a recipe takes, input difficulty levels.....ETC...It comes with tons of recipes already there and you can create your own cookbooks as well.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is to develop a cookbook I can pass on to my son. Eventually, my cookbook will have all our favorite recipes and pictures and he will have one, concise, custom cookbook (he's not that into cooking, so he'll be happy I narrowed it down to just the stuff he likes).

This is VERY different from just inputting info as a word document or something. You input things into certain fields and they display accordingly....check out the website and the 30 day trial...I'd be interested to know what you think...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 7:06:40 PM PDT
slw says:
Kay: Holy smokes..I had no idea. Thank you so much for your thorough answer. So, I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but when all is said and done, do you print out a book? LOVE the diet pro idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 7:16:41 PM PDT
slw says:
Just spent some time on the website. I'm getting it. :) If you have a recipe to donate, I'd love to have you be a contributor.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 7:25:31 PM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
lol...yes, you can print it out. In fact, I think you can print in a few different page formats. And you can customize the layout, too. For me, it will be handier to use in on the computer so I haven't investigated this part of it too much. But this software is very comprehensive and very well thought so I'm sure it can be done.

I haven't tried 'sharing' recipes with anyone - I don't know anyone else who has it yet. But I do believe that should be both possible and easy.

Posted on Aug 3, 2010 7:35:59 PM PDT
slw says:
Did you see the founder on a thread somewhere? I think I did, but can't remember which one. I will need to email it to my copy shop so they can print it on their color lazer printer. Jess is accident prone, so I can totally see her dropping a glass of water on her favorite recipe. :) Do you know if it can be emailed? My impression is that it can.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 8:24:00 PM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
The founder is Lee Grainger and he has always seemed to be very responsive to customer questions. I'm just now looking at the demo video for publishing a family cookbook, and he says you can publish right from LC, or convert to Word and print. (I don't know how yet...still watching)...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 8:52:04 PM PDT
slw says:
Yes, Lee Grainger..I know I saw him on a thread. I also saw that you can convert to word. I can definitely tell his program is based on Word (a good thing), so I am thinking emailing it is very easy. You're funny..I love that you own it and are still learning about it. That tells me it's a complex and good program. I can't believe it's only $35. Didn't I see that there is a 2010 version? I can't find that. Only 2008.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 9:03:42 PM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
Yes, still learning...yes, complex...lol...I think Lee is constantly watching (and participating in) the forums and taking suggestions on how to improve the software and he produces an updated version every couple of years or so. As we're talking about it, I'm checking out the website myself, and I will definitely be upgrading soon.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 2:13:39 PM PDT
slw says:
Downloaded the free trial. I'm very excited. I'm sure by tonight, I will just pay for the program. :)

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 12:01:26 PM PDT
Bookworm says:
I'd like to add another suggestion to this discussion. I've just recently discovered and fell in love with the website eatyourbooks.com. This site indexes cookbooks. You add the titles of the cookbooks you own to your virtual "bookshelf," then you can search for recipes by ingredient, type or title. Your results will be the names of recipes from your own books. Each search result gives you the recipe name, the title & author of the cookbook the recipe is in, and a list of all the ingredients in the recipe. The site does not provide recipes, just helps you locate recipes in the books you already have. And what you might find really helpful are the options to create "bookmarks" and add notes to any recipe. You can also generate shopping lists. From what I understand, the site is only about a year old, so all cookbooks are not indexed yet. For example, I added my 130+ cookbooks to my "bookshelf" and only about a third of them are already indexed. The people who run the site have posted that they are adding books all the time, so I am hopeful that many more will be indexed in the future. You can click on a button to "request index" for any book that you own and supposedly the more requests they receive for a particular book, the quicker it will get indexed. Phew...I just realized I sound like an infomercial, but as you can see I really enjoy this program. I think it's a really useful tool to get the most out of my cookbooks. I don't know if you will agree, but I thought it was worth mentioning :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 2:05:48 PM PDT
Briochegal says:
Hi Bookworm! thanks so much for this info! I went to the site and it is exactly what I am looking for. I will try it for a month then see if it really is as good as I think it is. thanks, again!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 2:10:40 PM PDT
Briochegal says:
One thing to note about this site...if your particular cookbooks aren't yet indexed by the web site team, you can't search on them. None of my cookbooks are indexed yet. They will be adding an interface that will allow users to index their own cookbooks.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 6:43:02 PM PDT
Bookworm says:
Briochegal - I'm sorry to hear they don't have any of your books indexed yet...and you are right you cannot search them until they are indexed. I can't wait for when the interface in up and running so I can index some of my more obscure/less popular books. I found out about this site in one of my cooking magazines, so I'm hoping that as interest and memberships grow, the number of books indexed will just keep increasing. I have found this site extremely helpful even though I can only currently search a portion of my collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2010 9:55:20 PM PST
Michael Long says:
I just got the 2011 update. The update was something like
$15 or $20 dollars. And it's fantastic. Right now I have over 1300 recipes in that puppy. and I wouldn't think of getting any other program... And believe me I've tried a bunch of them. I did the direct down load from their website, and then a couple of days later I got the disk. So to repeat, the 2011 program is out there.

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 6:33:01 PM PST
ruth3ch says:
There is also a website called cookbooker ( just google it- is it cookbooker.com?)which allows you to keep track of your cookbooks and rate recipes that you actually try from each cookbook. You can actually read other people's reviews of a recipe. The website is fairly new. This website is free.
I am willing to write in my cookbooks so I actually list the recipes that I have used from each cookbook and the page number on the very first page, just inside the cover to help me locate recipes quickly. If I didn't like the recipe, I would write "lousy" or "don't make again" next to the dud.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 12:49:29 PM PST
slw says:
Michael thank you so much for remembering to update me on this. I will get the new version immediately. Thanks again. :)

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 4:06:08 PM PST
I use the cookbooker web site, and love it. I can not only keep track of my own cooking experiences, but I can also see which recipes have been successful for others. Very useful.

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 9:06:21 AM PST
TheRecipeTinkerer:
WOW! This is just the information I have been trying to find for the multitude of recipe cookbooks I have! Thank you so much for the suggestions and really detailed explanations! The only suggestions that I did not find answers for is this problem:
In the beginning of collecting recipes, I printed out recipes from other cook's. LOL, now I have gazillions pieces of paper with recipes on them and am trying to find a way to categorizing them back to my computer instead of folders which have a 100 pages of paper for a category such as Ground Beef. And then you have have subcategories such as Casseroles, Skillet methods, SlowCooker. etc. Does anyone have ANY ideas as to how-to-go about doing this?

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 4:25:15 AM PST
Briochegal says:
Has anyone else noticed how many bogus and rip off Kindle cookbooks Amazon has listed? Cyou can tell by the descriptions that they are just a bunch of badly formatted thrown together recipes. Some of the cookbooks even misuse brand names like Wilton and Betty Crocker. I'm surprised Amazon lists this bogus junk.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cookbook forum (132 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cookbook forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions