Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Stand Mixer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 91 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2010 10:18:07 AM PDT
Geomancer says:
Okay, so I know this is an old argument ... but well every search I do for it comes up with posts several years old and things change over time.

I'll looking for a Stand Mixer. Specifically either:

Cuisinart SM-55BC 5-1/2-Quart 12-Speed Stand Mixer, Brushed Chrome
-or-
KitchenAid KSM150PSWH Artisan Series 5-Quart Mixer, White

I am not interested in any other models.

(Color doesn't matter to me, I'll get whatever is less expensive)

I know wattage means nothing with these things, nor am I really interested in any accessories.

All I want is a reliable one. Bread is usually the killer for these machines, well, I won't say I'll never make bread, but I doubt it would be that often. I have a bread machine which I would probably use any time I need to make some, but who knows?

I will virtual slap the first person who posts saying "My Mother/Grandmother's Kitchen Aid is X years old and still running strong!" I know that, my own Mother has one and baked cakes for a living using it, and it's true ... for old machines. New ones are NOT made the same however. I understand though that they've stopped using plastic for the gearbox cover correct? How do the newer machines hold up?

Warranties would suggest Cuisinart since general parts are 3 years, motor 5 years while Kitchen Aid is only 1 year for the whole thing. How do owners feel about this machine?

Last question: Are these usually offered as sales the day after Thanksgiving? If they are, I can wait, if not I might as well get one now. Both are offering a free attachment with purchase, personally I prefer the shredder/slicer with the Kitchen Aid over the food processor on the Cuisinart but reliability trumps all. I really want a machine that will last, not something that needs replaced every 3-5 years.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 11:20:11 AM PDT
Carrie O. says:
I know nothing of the cuisinart, only the KA. I've had my KA about 10 years and truly love it. A total workhorse.

Like you, I don't make a lot of bread. My "test" for a mixer is shortbread. My shortbread has broken many hand held mixers over the years. The KA handles it admirably.

I've never had a problem with it. I love it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 11:32:48 AM PDT
Geomancer says:
Yeah, 10 years though, which means before they started putting plastic wherever they could get away with it =/

The sad truth is it is not in a companies best interest to make something like this that will last decades, because eventually the market saturates and they don't get as many sales as they would if they lasted a fraction of that time, and cost less to make. So many home appliances have become disposable over the last decade =/

I know the plastic gearbox cover burned them pretty bad and they went back to metal (I think?), I'm just worried about the rest of the internal parts. Cuisinart is kind of new to the game, but old enough for some people to know their reliability I hope.

I'm currently leaning towards the Kitchen Aid. Both have the vast majority of their reviews being positive, but far too many of the KA ones go along the lines of "My mother's has lasted for years without problems, I'm sure this one will too" that they have no meaning. The KA is slightly cheaper though, the pitiful warranty though kind of scares me.

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 12:04:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2010 12:08:16 PM PDT
Allan hill says:
HELLO ihave kitchenaid never even thought about a different brand.
got the matte grey one no paint to chip ARTESIAN MODEL
saw one once had a chip in the base someone did not take good care (multiple users)
watch the video on their homepage that should make up
your MIND let us know ALLAN

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 12:22:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2010 12:25:42 PM PDT
Carrie O. says:
Hmm, I'm wondering if Hobart makes a home machine. We used a commercial version at a bakery I worked at. Best machines ever! :) Of course, they were older than dirt (removed from a retired naval vessel) so you'd probably into the same problem.

Edit - Okay, I just looked it up. Hobart does have a 5 qt model, but it's definitely not a home machine (not at THAT price). It is considered commercial and the cost is astronomical (over $2000).

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 12:41:12 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I have no experience with Cuisinart standing mixers, but my impression from looking at things like available attachments is that KA has many more. I have the bowl-lift model of the KA (which I prefer, as I don't like the idea of pulling up the whole head of the machine; seems too heavy for me), but the attachments fit all models. So far I have the ice cream maker, the pasta roller and cutter set, and the food grinder attachment. Love them all. And they're very easy to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 12:41:57 PM PDT
Geomancer says:
Yeah, Hobart was the original maker of the Kitchen Aids, but in the late 80's I think they sold the brand off.

$250-$300 is a lot for just a mixer =/

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 12:44:22 PM PDT
Geomancer says:
Well, like I said, I have no interest in the attachments (but I'll take the free one that is offered right now if you buy one...) so they are not a consideration for me.

And the 'bowl-lift' models are the 'pro' series and cost quite a bit more. As for lifting the head ... it is not even close to heavy. If you can lift a hard cover book, you can lift the head on the mixer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 1:04:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2010 1:06:49 PM PDT
Grandma says:
I've not used a Cuisinart, so I cannot speak to that. I have, however, owned several KitchenAid mixers. My first was exactly like the one you link to, though about 25 years older, and frankly, I would never buy that mixer again. I cannot begin to tell you how irritating it was to have to stop the machine and lift the head every single time you need to add something to the bowl - and the pour shield just doesn't help all that much. Worse, no matter how I tried the beater simply could not be set properly to whip cream and egg whites correctly. I now own one with a lift bowl that is quite some bit bigger. Lovely machine, still going strong 5+ years later and we've never had a problem with it. I use it mainly to make bread, including bagels (very stiff dough) almost daily. We got ours here at Amazon on a special deal - discontinued color or something. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact time of year anymore. Do note, though, that we paid less for the better mixer than we could buy the then current model on sale at WalMart - less than $200.

My go-to mixer is a KitchenAid hand mixer - 5 speed. This is my second. The first would still be in operation except that the cat pushed it off the counter and the case broke. Meanwhile, that little mixer does a bundle of things that the big KitchenAid cannot do, like make 7-Minute Icing. Mine came with dough hooks that are adequate for a small batch of rolls and an attachment for pureeing things.

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 1:06:31 PM PDT
Geomancer says:
Impulse buy... but I found the Cuisinart one on sale ($224.10) plus it also comes with both the blender and food processor attachments. Couldn't pass it up for that price plus freebies. The place was Everything Kitchens if you're interested. Use coupon code Cuisinart10 to get the extra 10% off for the price I listed above.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 1:47:29 PM PDT
Allan hill says:
hi again i think i saw the video at williams sonoma website
the warrenty says you dont have to keep the box cause you wont need it made in usa.they have a new glass bowl so it is larger and easy to fill ^^^^^or you can get a cheap piece of junk for a lot less
what car do you drive

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 2:32:30 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Sorry, I thought you said you were interested in the attachments. Why don't you look for an older used model on ebay? A friend of mine got one and is very happy with it. I think she paid $100.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 4:50:44 PM PDT
Geomancer says:
Good deals can be had on ebay, but you can also get burned pretty bad with no recourse. I think I'll be happy with what I got, if not, I'll be sure to come back here and say so.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 7:00:20 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I'm sure you will.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2010 12:15:01 PM PDT
slw says:
Carrie: One of my most treasured kitchen appliances was one I bought used at a restaurant supply store...a 5 qt Hobart mixer. It's the most incredible machine. I paid 250 for it and had to have the cord replaced which cost another 50.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2010 12:51:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2010 12:52:06 PM PDT
Carrie O. says:
slw - I'm so jealous! Those Hobarts are workhorses! I do think the one we had in the bakery was 75+ years old, but it worked every time. It had the big attachments, which made my life so much easier. :) Making 50 full sheet carrot cakes at a time takes something that can withstand grinding many 50 pound bags of carrots.

Actually, that mixer is what inspired my want of a KA mixer. While I'd love a Hobart, the price is not within my range. The KA wasn't at the time either, but I received it as a Christmas present from my then boyfriend. He was then rewarded with many cheesecakes, cookies, etc. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2010 1:31:16 PM PDT
slw says:
Carrie: I bought it after my KA broke down. The motor came loose in the housing and gave me the shock (literally) of my life. I was scared to use it after that, so I had it fixed, traded it in for the Hobart (of course, had to pay lots more for the Hobart) and was so happy. I abused my KA. I used it for my dessert biz. I made cheesecakes, tortes, cakes etc, so the poor thing was way over worked. The Hobart was perfect. When I sold that business, I let the Hobart go with it. I wish I hadn't. I felt like I never wanted to see another cheesecake or dough of any kind again. Dummy me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2010 2:20:34 PM PDT
Carrie O. says:
I do know the feeling. I never wanted to see another carrot cake after the bakery. Now I love it of course. I don't have their recipe (I'm to honest for that), but I do use some the tricks when making it though. :)

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 7:45:32 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 10:45:58 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 7:56:31 AM PST
I have owned KAs for almost 20 yrs and have never had any issues - I currently have an Artisan that I bought because there was a great deal on the color I wanted, but I still have the KA I had before...I also have a KA hand mixer - they are wonderful for some jobs, but cannot totally replace a stand mixer for me

The Cuisinart only came out a couple of years ago...my first reaction was God is it fugly...I know people who have bought either model (there's a 7qt version) and they had issues with everything from power to "walking" off the counter...yet CI did rate it very well in their tests

just my 2 cents

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 8:29:59 AM PST
Geomancer says:
I've had the Cuisinart one now for a couple weeks and haven't had any problems.

I've read from a couple reviews (and your post) about it 'walking' but I haven't had that problem, it's never moved even a centimeter from where it started.

I don't do anything really big or 'hard' though. Mostly just things like cookie dough (chocolate chip for example), cake batter, and once for mashed potatoes. That's all I foresee using it for so I'm happy. I have a bread machine for the rares occasions that I make my own bread. I am very much a 'light' user as opposed to an every day user.

Used the blender that came with it for free and I like it a lot better than the standalone one I had (cheapest model I could find in Target so go figure). Haven't gotten the food processor yet (also free with the mixer) since it is a mail in rebate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 2:51:26 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
What's wrong with the KA wisk? It does a fine job on whipped cream and egg whites every time I've used it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 3:40:30 PM PST
Grandma says:
I think it depends on which KA mixer you have. I always had problems with the KA whisk on my first Kitchen Aid, no matter how I adjusted it. I always ended up beating cream and eggs by hand, at least until I got a KA portable. I don't have that problem with my newer KA though - a bigger model with a lift bowl. And some of the newer attachments do discolor if you put them in the dishwasher.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 4:05:31 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 10:46:05 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 4:46:45 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
My metal whisk is completely dishwasher safe. There is no reason a metal whisk should not be dishwasher safe.
Your reply to S. Kessler's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (851 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Twinkie Temple #4 239 9 hours ago
springform pan 10 20 hours ago
Pressure Cookers 160 5 days ago
Has anyone actually seen Corning Ware Pyroceram or VISIONS cookware explode? 454 11 days ago
Baking in a Breville Smart Oven 161 15 days ago
Good Toaster Oven Cookwear 26 15 days ago
Anyone Use Eat Your Books? 17 16 days ago
Volts 0 18 days ago
92x24 tablecloth 0 19 days ago
Kindle edition vs actual cookbook 4 22 days ago
An alternative to aluminum foil? 36 23 days ago
pasta express ctc machine recipe needed 30 25 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  91
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions