Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Slow Cooker Cook Books - Recs Please!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2013 1:44:32 PM PST
OutlawPoet says:
I am buying my first slow cooker and there are way too many slow cooker cook books out there. Can anyone rec any really good ones?

Specifically, I'm looking for any that feature kid-friendly recipes and I prefer full color pictures.

Thanks so much!

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 8:15:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2013 8:23:53 PM PST
Certainly, someone can give better advise. I learned crock pot cooking when I had small kids from this bestseller, Crock It by Barbara M. Murray:

http://www.foodingredientsonline.com/doc.mvc/Crock-It-0001?Page=1

http://overmtn.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_book_info&products_id=32&zenid=4a6fb44400e7662c9f87adfdf3fb78ec

Not available on Amazon. I also used the Fit It And Forget It books. Lots of similar recipes by people who actually make them, so you can compare and tailor to your preferences.

Not many pictures in either.

These days, I have more time, but I still love Murray's Mexican Meat recipe.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 2:46:47 PM PST
SLCS says:
I really like Cooking Light's Slow Cooker Tonight! I just recently got the book, so I have only tried 3 recipes--Old Fashioned Chicken Fricassee, Pork Vindaloo, and Pulled Chicken Sandwiches--but they have all been easy and my family really enjoyed them. There are many more I plan to try! The recipes include main dishes (including vegetarian) as well as sides, appetizers, and desserts. There are color pictures of most, but not all, the recipes. As far as kid-friendly--my kids haven't been little in a long time, and were always adventurous eaters, but I can say most of the recipes in the book call for common ingredients.
I hope this helps!

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 8:51:32 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Slow Cooker Revolution

Here's one to check out from America's Test Kitchen.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 7:06:28 AM PST
widowTink says:
There are so many Slow Cooker Cookbooks out there! I love cookbooks and trying new things, here's what I do. I go to my local library's online website, where I can peruse all the cookbook titles I want. I will put holds on the ones that intrigue me. When they are ready I get an email saying I can pick up my holds. Right now I'm using a bean cookbook that I don't want to return. Now I know what titles to buy here on Amazon...The books I don't want to return. Best of all, libraries are free! Many of the books on my personal shelf started out as library books. Thank goodness for Amazon, where I've never had a problem finding any particular title!

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:27:44 AM PDT
Violetta says:
Slow cookers are great; I hope you'll enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine. I have several favorite cookbooks, but one to start out with might be Stephanie O'Dea's _Make it Fast, Cook it Slow_. It has a nice feature that would help in cooking food that children will like. O'Dea tried slow cooker recipes every day for a year, and for each one in her book, she has a summary of how her family--including her kids--liked it. You can get a good sense of how it works for a family, and she has tips on how to know when the dish is done, how to keep it simple and use the best ingredients, etc. Her recipes are healthy and gluten-free too, but you can always use ingredients that aren't gluten-free, if that's not an issue for you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (847 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions