Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Do people still cook with lard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 481 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 11:42:29 AM PST
Lynetta Anne says:
If you seek out farmers who are raising pigs on pasture (try your farmers markets) and make the lard yourself (incredibly easy!) you'll have a pretty healthy fat. The omega 3s are good, and - again, ONLY if raised outdoors on pasture - it'll also contain vitamin D, something most of us need in cold weather climates. I made 4 quarts of it this year, froze it. It'll last me through the year (and I do a lot of entertaining.) This morning made scratch biscuits using lard, and oh, my - best biscuits ever! I forget how incredibly good it is.

Don't forget - most of the oils the industry groups tout as healthy have their own problems. All "veg" oil is going to be mostly soy and corn, and that's all GMO unless it's organic. Canola? Not for me. Rape seeds aren't a healthy food source, no matter how much you rename them.

The stuff our ancestors used for a few hundred generations is what I want to use.... but that means well-raised animals, similar to how our ancestors raised them - not in confinement and fed hormones, antibiotics and kibble.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 1:01:54 PM PST
Waves says:
Very well written and correct Lynetta Anne. I get my lard from my local farmers market. I buy 20 pounds at a time and get the rendering done in large batches so it's thee when I need it...just like making fresh beef or chicken stock.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 2:22:28 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Ahhh, well that explains it. Pardon my incomplete knowledge; I never buy Crisco's lard, nor would I! And I do always refrigerate my lard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 2:25:24 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Ace, how long can one keep chicken fat in the fridge? I often save it and then throw it out as I'm not making the recipes to use it in right then. Can I freeze the chicken fat like lard?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 2:39:54 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
I listened to a CBC broadcast on Canola oil and canola/ rape seed agriculture, specifically addressing why so much pesticide contamination was ending up in the large animals that feed indigenous people in the far north, a couple years ago and decided then and there to never use canola oil. Before planting, the seeds are soaked in LINDANE which is a banned pesticide in the USA and in Europe. Canada grows most of the rape seed that is made into Canola oil and they still use LINDANE. After planting the lindane migrates back out of the soil into the air a few feet off the ground and then is picked up by wind. It ends up in the fatty tissue of cariboo, elk, and other large animals that are the main food sources of the far north. I would not touch canola oil with a ten foot pole.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 3:05:07 PM PST
Lynetta Anne says:
thanks for that detail. I'd heard it was dirty, but yeech! What floors me is that it's marketed as healthy! I'm almost to the point of thinking anything that's advertised that way must be poison.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 3:17:32 PM PST
Waves says:
Hi I am not Ace but..if you render it thoroughly taking all the meat particles out by straining in a chinois or fine mesh strainer you can keep it in the freezer for several years. (if it is well packaged) I do batches like this and keep most in the freezer, only keeping a small amount, maybe 1/2 to 1 cup in a mason jar in the fridge. I prefer to make it once a year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 3:34:32 PM PST
curious cook says:
I doubt that all Whole Foods stores carry lard. The lard in my local WF comes from local pig farmers, and it is sporadically available. It wouldn't be better than other lards, unless, like the shelf-stable lards available in most groceries, it is hydrogented, which makes lard just as bad for you as margarine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 4:18:02 PM PST
ace™ says:
no worries, recipe diva! there is much to learn in the world of food/cooking and while i have worked in the food industry most of my life, there is ALWAYS something NEW to learn! that's probably part of what makes it so fascinating to me... and why i continue to read/study (and buy cookbooks!) even now that i'm out of the biz for good.

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 4:36:52 PM PST
While the shelf-stable lard from Crisco and Armour is partially hydrogenated, it is less than 15% trans fat, which does not put it in the same class as margarine and vegetable shortening. It's still much better as an alternative when baking biscuits and pie crusts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 4:37:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2012 4:40:15 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Canola oil marketed as healthy because it is a VEGETABLE oil and unsaturated. It is also cheap to produce and a real money maker for Canada. They want to sell as much of it as possible and lobbied long and hard the US and EU to sell it for them. They did not address the downside though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 4:44:48 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
And BREAD!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 4:56:14 PM PST
ace™ says:
R.D...

if you are referring to the unrendered chix fat straight from the bird, it's pretty much meat-free and i save it in a heavy-duty zipper bag in the freezer (and keep adding to that bag) until i have enough to make rendering worthwhile. we eat a lot of chix, so it doesn't take long. and, since it IS virtually meat-free, it renders easily to a clean product which helps reduce spoilage.

once rendered, i have kept chix fat in a cold part of the fridge (NOT on the door.. in the back of the bottom shelf) for months at a time. i usually use it all before it shows any signs of age. if, for some reason i have more than i can use in 6 months time (unlikely! hubby loves my chix 'n' dumplings!) it goes in the freezer, just like lard.
if you are making a chix-based recipe, there's nothing like using the fat of the same animal for fuller flavor.

hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:00:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2012 5:01:56 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Thanks Ace. Yes I was referring to Chic fat. This is very helpful. I will try it. I was just skimming the fat off the chicken broth that I make regularly. Guess that was the wrong thing to do. Not the skimming, the saving of THAT chick fat. Lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:05:02 PM PST
ace™ says:
i have known about issues with rapeseed oil for many years and have not used it for a long time. we usually buy peanut oil, which is more expensive, but also better for you and can be used at hotter temps than "canola" oil. it also has a "cleaner", more neutral flavor than many oils.

one other issue i learned about not too long ago is that "canola" oil, as well as corn oil and veg oil also contain a fair dose of vitamin K whereas peanut oil does not. this might not be important to many people, but for me, it's a major health issue since i will take coumadin (aka warfarin... aka rat poison!) for the rest of my life... or until the FDA widens the label of pradaxa to include stroke patients. i have to watch my K intake very carefully and was horrified to find out that rapeseed oil and corn oil contain high amounts of K. so, olive oil and peanut oil reign supreme in this kitchen!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:06:57 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Yes, Lynetta Anne, advertising is iffy to believe. I try not to believe what I cannot independently confirm.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:09:49 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Ace, I also use a lot of good quality olive oil and p-nut oil. What is your thinking about Sunflower oil? I also use that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:13:38 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Ahh yes, Ace, so much to learn, so little time! I've been cooking for 50 years now and still learning. Love this discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:25:08 PM PST
Waves says:
Ace, Last year I grabbed some canola oil to have on hand for seasoning a cast iron pan. The canola coated the pan with a thick sticky coating. I tried a egg which stuck like glue. I then had to scrub the pan and re season. As well I was having the oil furnace serviced and the repairman needed to check the house for carbon monoxide. The canola oil had made a smokey mess but worse was that the carbon dioxide level in the house was in the danger level. He was beside himself until we realized that the air was filled with canola oil residuals. We opened the windows for 2 hours, he checked again a few hours after they were closed and the heat was on for awhile. The problem was gone. Scary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:28:08 PM PST
ace™ says:
sunflower oil is another good one for most people, right up there with olive and peanut. while it has a low K content, it's off-limits in this house because it has a VERY high vitamin E content, which, unfortunately, i must also avoid.
for people who want/need vitamin E, it's a great source and more natural than supplements. it's also in a form that's more available to the human body.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:29:02 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Waves, that is very scary! I am so glad I don't use that stuff!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:32:41 PM PST
ace™ says:
WOW! that IS scary! good job the repairman was there! just think if you'd kept trying to re-season the pan... not good.

just serves to reinforce my desire for a "canola" oil-free home!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:38:09 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Thanks, Ace, you are a fountain of knowledge... I am trying not to give hubby too much Vit. E after the recent medical research indicating that it promotes (may be the wrong word), but does not cause, Prostate cancer. Guess I will be happy with olive and peanut oils... and lard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:44:33 PM PST
Waves says:
It was an eye opener for me! I use butter, clarified butter, olive oil (extra virgin or cold pressed only), coconut oil, grapeseed oil (not related to rapeseed) and peanut oil plus rendered leaf lard, duck fat. I also like sunflower oil as a base for very light salad dressings that I add herbs such as tarragon, etc to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:53:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2012 5:54:21 PM PST
ace™ says:
ah, yes... coconut oil. that's another one i use. i had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. funny thing is...it APPEARS to be hydrogenated because it's solid and opaque at room temp, but in fact, it's not. it's also not appropriate for high-temp cooking... but, i'll tell ya... it makes popcorn that's unbelievable! my mom gave me our old popcorn popper from, she thinks, the 50s when i was a little kid. i'm very careful of the cord and plug (originals that can't be replaced) and the element... but it and coconut oil make THE BEST popcorn i've ever eaten! just a *little* butter (no margarine in this house, either!) and salt and i'm in hog heaven! LOL! hmmmm..... i may have to try popcorn made with duck fat and see what that's like... i DO love to experiment!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  481
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions