Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

HIGH QUALITY is NOT dead......superior stuff you bought on Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 5:56:28 AM PST
GW says:
In these days of cheaply made, inferior products we occasionally find gems.

Please share products of superior quality you have found here on Amazon,
(or anywhere) & supply a link if you can.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:00:54 AM PST
GW says:
I just LOVE my Zojirushi Mini Breadmaker.

It is a workhorse that gets used at least 3 times a week in my kitchen.
The small footprint & small loaf size is just right for my household.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:07:18 AM PST
GW says:
I have been through several sets of inferior measuring cups where the handles bend or break off but THESE....RSVP 6-Piece Stainless Steel Nesting Measuring Cup Set are the last cups I will ever need.

Solid & great quality. Yes they are pricey.....quality costs.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:24:35 AM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
Swissmar Swiss Trio Peeler Set, Brown, Green and Yellow these are excellent. I would not buy the set again, I didn't use the julienne, but the regular peeler and peeler that does kiwi and tomatoes are amazing.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:28:06 AM PST
GW says:
Ok, so I don't make homemade pasta ALL that much anymore.....but when I DO I really like my Pasta Drying Rack.

It beats draping strands of fresh pasta over the backs of kitchen chairs & over the sides of laundry baskets.
(which is what I did BEFORE I had this handy thing.)

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:16:50 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Browne Foodservice (746124) - 10" Box-Type Grater

China-made, better than the best we found locally at Macy's. Sad how the good quality cooks' gadgets that were once made profitably in the US and available locally have now vanished from the marketplace.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:24:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 10:43:38 AM PST
Teddy says:
Godinger Silver Pineapple Crystal Butter Dish This is similar to the Dublin pattern that is now discontinued~~~at the time it was $10

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:56:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 9:58:40 AM PST
GW says:
While not exactly a KITCHEN item....I have been very pleased with the quality of my DryGuy Thermanator Boot and Shoe Dryer.

It has been running 24/7 since I bought it & I always have dry, warm & snuggie UGGS for my tootsies.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it at all!

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 12:10:29 PM PST
OXO Good Grips storage containers are very good quality and do the job they're supposed to.
OXO Good Grips 5-Piece POP Container Set

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:12:04 PM PST
GW says:
I just got a set of those Puff.
They ain't cheap but they seem great for flour, sugar, dog food & the latest one...... for tall pasta.
I like the way they snuggle up close to each other to save space in the cupboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:29:10 PM PST
LL™ says:
I recently bought the OXO salt and pepper grinders...I like that you can adjust the grind.

OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 1:41:49 PM PST
GW says:
I've had the Perfex Pepper Mill for 30 years & love it.
But I'm just not willing to put out the dough for the Perfex Salt Mill.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:27:23 PM PST
And the best knives, especially for paring -
Got my first one 30+ years ago - and they're still made in the USA
Rada Cutlery Starter Set, 7 Pc Boxed Gift Set, Made in USA, Aluminum Handles (S38)
And the sharpener that goes with them.
Rada Cutlery Quick Edge Knife Sharpener with Hardened Steel Wheels (Designed for Rada Knives), R119

Even after years of heavy duty use I have only managed to wear one of them out and had to replace it asap.
Not expensive or snooty good quality and durable.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:22:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 4:22:33 PM PST
Bundtlust says:
I usually try to buy European, Japanese or American-made kitchen goods, but a few years ago I purchased the superior Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press and it's been my best friend in the kitchen: solid construction, washes up like a dream. I've even purchased several as gifts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:42:22 PM PST
GW says:
Wow...that is a good price for quality knives.

I bought my daughter this cheapie Ginsu 14-Piece Knife Set with Block to set up housekeeping but NO WAY they would pass for anything near high quality.

I may have her keep the wood block & replace the knives with the ones you recommended.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:48:58 PM PST
GW says:
My dearest friend in the world (who shall remain nameless) sent me a set of Microplane Graters along with this Grater Attachment & I have been in HOG HEAVEN ever since!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:17:21 AM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
I love my micro plane graters. I have a couple, once we tried whole nutmeg that was it, we'll never buy ground again. The difference is amazing!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:53:28 AM PST
GW says:
I know some people like Lodge....but I stick with "Old Faithful."
Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron French Oven

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:28:56 AM PST
LL™ says:
Yeah...love the look of all Le Creuset products.

I bought the grill last year even after swearing off anything so heavy.

Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 13-by-8-1/2-Inch Rectangular Skinny Grill, Cherry

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:11:38 PM PST
GW says:
oooh, DAT's purdy, LaLa.
Do you use bricks to weigh down your chickens & panini?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 11:45:40 PM PST
Carlgo says:
Started to think about this and...I just investigate things to the point of obsession, read every revue at Amazon and elsewhere that I can find, and pore over the technical specs. I pretty much understand technical specs and such. Doing so I get pretty much nothing that is not good, the best thing available in my price range most of the time.

I have been fooled a couple of times, like everyone. An Onkyo receiver got fabulous reviews from consumers and review sites, but nobody knew that there was a faulty circuit board that would fail down the road. Got a car starter portable battery only to find that it broke after one use. And I rolled the dice for a bogus Apple battery made in China. It died a quick death. Love my Sony Nex-7 camera, my Denon receiver, several Bosch and Milwaukee power tools, lots of stuff reviewed under the Carlgo name.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:55:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 6:56:45 AM PST
GW says:
Wow Carl,
You DO have a lotta good info/reviews.....AND you live in God's country, AND you look like the HANDYMAN of my dreams.

You may consider this a MARRIAGE PROPOSAL.

Signed,
Gina Wiggles

PS.... I'll do the cooking.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:14:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 8:33:20 AM PST
Carlgo says:
Normally I require a dowry of goats, chickens and an Aston Martin, but with a name like Wiggles and your photo in the fantasy clothing link provided I could waive that. BTW, I had no fetishes, none really, until now...

Well, after further review of your own great reviews I have to complain about the corn dog machine. I have very refined tastes you know, normally dining on foamed bone marrow and truffle delights and such. And I need for information on the elephant thing. Do its eyes roll? I would not like for it to roll its eyes when I put it on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:43:38 PM PST
GW says:
Not to worry Carl.....you can dip your corn dogs in THIS.
Hand squoze by a Certified Virgin high in the hills of the Piedmont.
And lookie there.....a GOAT to boot!

Oh....the elephant thing.
Well, elephants are a bit Pass-Say after the recent election.....how 'bout "something to CROW about" ?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:53:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 12:54:39 PM PST
GW says:
So Carl,
How does one get this gig where Amazon send ya free stuff, huh?
They never give ME the time of day!

Well, they've given me a couple of warnings to get my act together & take it on the road.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions