Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Do people still cook with lard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 481 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 7:58:40 PM PST
curious cook says:
ya, catherine. the fat back down here comes incrusted in salt. You have to rinse it over and over again to get out the salt, then render it for the better part of a day, which is better done outside, because it can have a funky smell. Sooooo... while it is doable, you can be sure I was thrilled when I discovered tubs of local rendered lard at WF.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 7:58:52 PM PST
ace™ says:
OMG, Isabella, that sounds incredible! I have some Swiss and German cookbooks from the trip I took there... I'm going to have to try that! And I even have an apple tree in the back yard... but no ducks... ;-(

I have found a supplier online for duck fat and am probably going to order some since I can't find it anywhere locally... Hubby saw a segment about making french fries in duck fat on the Food Network and now he is bugging me to try it...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 8:00:26 PM PST
curious cook says:
haven't run into leaf lard. Sighhhhh. That is like the mecca of pig fat....

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 9:18:31 PM PST
I use lard in pie crusts and some other specific recipes

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 9:19:46 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 16, 2010 5:26:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2010 4:55:38 AM PST
Firefly says:
If you live in the southwest or on the west coast you can find them; otherwise forget it. In fact now that I'm in the northeast I've given up on flour tortillas altogether, they are just cardboard; the corn are OK tho. And no, making them yourself is NOT easy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2010 5:12:48 AM PST
Firefly says:
ROFL!!! Thanks for the good laugh! And I will have to try that schmaltz recipe, it sounds heavenly.

I raised pigs, rendered the lard myself, and used the scoop and freeze method, which is a great way to freeze individual portions of most non-liquid foods. What's left is still fine after nearly 2.5 years in ordinary sandwich bags.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2010 6:20:11 AM PST
curious cook says:
sorry you can't find good flour tortillas, firefly. We don't have them here in the Southeast, either, though I'm not sure why, because we certainly have a thriving hispanic population. I don't find making them very difficult at all, though it is time consuming. All they are is flour, fat, salt and water kneaded into a fairly soft dough, rolled, and cooked on a hot griddle.

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 7:04:00 AM PST
this post has been so interesting..when i was young there was always a container of i guess bacon fat setting on the stove.. i dont remember my mom using lard so much.. it was a big deal when they came out with margarine.. when it first did you had to color it yourself.. somewhere in my recipes i have one for lard cookies from my mother in law they are sooooo good another thing i havent made in ages...

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 8:40:00 AM PST
I stopped using lard when I had to cut out pork products. Boy I miss it. On the other hand, my favorite brand of regional potato chips are made with , you guessed it, Prime Processed Lard. YUM! So I indulge now and again. Can't beat the flavor!

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 11:36:02 AM PST
Cvee says:
My 75yo old Aunt has always cooked with pure lard for herself and my 89yo Uncle. She claims that lard will wash out of a skillet with cold water but it takes boiling water to get corn and/or vegetable oils off and she figures it works the same way in the blood. Both of them are in great shape and still do their own gardening, etc, so I can't argue with her. I have heard that lard went out of favor back in the 40's or 50's when a certain company developed a new hydrogenated cooking substance (you know which one) and advertised that it was healthier than lard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2010 11:55:07 AM PST
ya it was the white gluey stufff.. had to color it.. first it had to be done in a bowl and you put the powdery color in and mixed then the new invention was the white stuff came in a plastic bag and there was a little bubble you popped and then you squeezed the plastic bag till the white stuff was yellow..lol... me and my little sister argued over who was going to get to sqeeeze the bag.. i image part of the draw for that stuff was the price..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2010 11:59:02 AM PST
curious cook says:
yeah, they couldn't color it themselves by LAW. I guess the butter lobby must have been pretty effective back then. Not sure when they were finally permitted to sell yellow margarine.

Posted on Jan 9, 2010 12:48:20 PM PST
Phoebe says:
Lard makes the BEST crust, period! Add a little butter and it's heaven.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2010 2:12:10 PM PST
i was born in 42 and remember the coloring..so most likely it would have been into the early or mid 50's before it came all colored

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2010 2:15:14 PM PST
when my kids were all home and i cooked more. i guess i mosly used good ole spry or crisco.. my mom wasnt much of a pastry cook and i dont remember what my gram used.. i know my mother in law used lard to cook with and i think my older sister did too she was a very good cook..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2010 9:49:38 AM PST
curious cook says:
hey firefly, here is a great video. It's about making breakfast tacos, but it includes a great demo on making flour tortillas. This guy includes some baking powder, which I haven't done before, but his tortilla look fantastic, and I am going to try some asap! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgsLmDcL78

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 10:04:13 AM PST
Joan L Young says:
Interesting discussion here. I am in my 70's and love to cook. I was raised on many things cooked with lard. When butter was hard to get (WW II), my mother mixed a bag of yellow coloring into lard so we thought we had butter on the table. I have a can of lard on my pantry shelf; use it for pie crust rarely and I believe the biggest detriment to good health are fast food places. I could do away with all of them today. I cook home-made for my grandchildren.

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 10:45:15 AM PST
VINYLPOODLE says:
Whenever I can sneak it into a dish , I DO IT ! Transplanted Southern cooks , like moi can't live without it .

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 10:45:27 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 10, 2010 10:47:04 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2010 1:42:03 PM PST
David Rankin says:
Health departments started making restaurants use vegetable shortening rather than lard back in the sixties. Little by little lard just starting fading away from home use as well. Lard make much more tender and flaky pastry and I prefer it to vegtable shortening myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2010 7:31:48 PM PST
curious cook says:
Pig fat is making quite a comeback in foodie circles. There is a whole contingent of pig worshipers out there, including the likes of Tom Colicchio, Joel Robuchon, Wiley Dufresne, Heston Blumenthal, et al. It's quite amusing that what our grandmothers knew was good takes a pack of uber-chefs to be revived from the dead. I'm with Joan. Shoot the fast food joints, and cook good food, with top notch ingredients, including our lovely porcine friends.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2010 7:38:01 PM PST
VINYLPOODLE says:
Here , here ! I'm with you CC . Nothing says DOWN HOME like lard .

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 7:39:09 PM PST
VINYLPOODLE says:
PS
Had no idea lard was becoming de rigeur in the kitchen , I say welcome back .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2010 7:48:03 PM PST
curious cook says:
Yeah, VP. It's good sign when Whole Foods decides it's worth carrying unhydrogenated, locally rendered pig fat. When that happens, you can be sure that some of your local chefs are cooking with lard. Now if they would only add duck fat.... Isabella talked elsewhere about rendering her own, but I haven't wanted it enough to do that yet. But, if a little container showed up on a grocer's shelf, well.....
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (875 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  481
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions