Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Do people still cook with lard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 481 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 10, 2010 7:54:39 PM PST
wolfqueen26 says:
Hi! I cook with lard all the time and wouldn't use anything else. Everything that requires a fat just tastes better with lard. I am not overweight, all of my vital signs are good and I frequently get comments from dinner guests about how good my cooking is!!! The only time I become self conscious is when I put that big blue pail of lard in my shopping basket and the checker grabs it, scans it and looks at me like I'm the stupidest person on planet Earth!!! Then I just smile sweetly and make sure he/she sees how skinny I am!! All of the ladies in my family have used it, I use it and I'm teaching my children to use it. If you are one of those who can't imagine eating lard, all I have to say is that I can't imagine eating hot dogs or frozen pizza or any of the other junk people routinely eat without even thinking about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2010 8:01:59 PM PST
curious cook says:
where do you live that you find big blue pails of lard in the grocery store? I am in south Carolina, and have had to seek out unadulterated lard like the holy grail. And I am supposedly in the heart of lard land! At least in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 9:14:11 AM PST
VINYLPOODLE says:
I find lard in all of our grocery stores here in California ( Ralph's ( Kroger owned ) , Von's, Pavillions and that brand is usually "Farmer John's" but the best manteca I find, is from the Mexican supermarkets or butcher shops. Sometimes the lard from the Mexi market is so fresh it is warm , no brand name , just those plastic containers in sizes from "normal"( 8 oz.) to "monster size" ( gallon ) .
Making me salivate just describing it .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 10:11:45 AM PST
GW says:
CC
In a bid to pack people in during the recession I see adds for 99cent burgers, tacos etc at the fast food joints.

Can you IMAGINE what kind of meat they use?
I'd rather they give up the meat entirely & use soy burger.
Better than ears, tails & toenails.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 12:01:02 PM PST
curious cook says:
I just don't understand it here. We have a strong Hispanic population, yet in almost all of the Hispanic markets, you still find the hydrogenated fat. Oh well, I guess it's not for me to reason why.... At least I CAN find good, fresh pig fat, which is more than many others can say.

Yeah, Gdub. I don't even register fast food. Fortunately, never developed a taste for it. I heard somewhere that Taco Bell beef if the lowest grade acceptable by the FDA for human consumption. Probably just one of those urban legends yuppies love to toss around, but, it certainly doesn't whet my appetite for fast food.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 12:19:50 PM PST
VINYLPOODLE says:
And in my Mexi. market they keep lard in the deli section with the seafood salad ? No wonder I couldn't find it the first time . At our Ralph's super. they keep it un-refrigerated on the END of any old aisle .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 1:11:59 PM PST
curious cook says:
if it is unrefrigerated, it is hydrogenated, which makes it not good for you at all. If it is a refrigerated case, probably fine.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 2:07:54 PM PST
Lard has two major strikes against it, as far as I'm concerned. Strike One is the "ick" factor: seeing a big bucket of miscellaneous animal body fat is sufficient to kill a lot of people's appetites (mine included). Strike Two is the taste factor: lard imparts a strong, greasy, animal flavor to whatever it's put into. It adds a funk and twang that are usually unwelcome in baked goods, for example.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 2:51:24 PM PST
Soy contains estrogen-mimicking nutrients, which can be bad for people with estrogen-sensitive conditions, such as some breast cancers. But, soy is not a cruciferous plant. Cruciferous plants are: broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, Brussel sprouts, etc.. I've never heard that those are bad for you. They're some of the healthiest vegetables around.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 3:22:58 PM PST
ace™ says:
Sorry to continue the off-topic conversation, but I must add that I took soy supplements for hot flashes... and became very, VERY dizzy... like, I couldn't walk without touching walls, chairs...something. I discovered the cause when I saw an article about vertigo in a health magazine sitting on the table in the lunchroom at work. I stopped taking the soy and the dizziness went away immediately.

Also, for those of us who are taking Coumadin (aka warfarin, aka rat poison), cruciferous vegetables can be very harmful because they (and many other non-cruciferous green veggies) contain high amounts of Vitamin K, which counteracts the anti-clotting med. Vitamin K causes your blood to clot more readily, so overdosing on those veggies, even if you aren't on Coumadin or at risk for stroke, can be a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 4:25:04 PM PST
Granny says:
It has bristles in it! YUK!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 6:40:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2010 10:05:02 AM PST
joaniepony says:
The reason I mentioned "Cruciferous plants" ( My new word) was to show if you look hard enough , everything is BAD for you. Everything in moderation.Some people can't eat shell fish. Everthing seems to be bad for someone. Avocados make my daughter's mouth swell. now that's a real curse!!! refined sugars,vegetable and fruit juices, for people who have normal digestion tracts. Like I've read before, everyone who has eaten tomatoes,dies. Isn't the correct CC

somthing on the plant as 4 things like a cross ,CRUCIFIX.

I always research my favorite words, MIRE POIX I don't speak French so I don't know the meaning, but it contains carrots, onions and celery.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2010 8:54:02 PM PST
ace™ says:
joaniepony,

Since "cruciferous" is your new word, would you like to know WHY they are called that? (I have a BS in Horticulture... and spent much time working for a well-know plant geneticist at Oregon State... and spent a lot of that time pollinating broccoli for him... almost went blind! LOL)

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 3:54:40 AM PST
D. Jacobs says:
My mother always used lard to fry chicken - and it was always delicious and crispy. I rarely fry anything these days, and they simply don't make lard the way they used to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 5:21:28 AM PST
curious cook says:
not true, DJ, if you look hard enough, at least down here in the south, and from what I'm hearing, in CA.

Pony, if tomatoes are deadly, all I can say, is I am attempting some form of suicide nearly every day!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 8:27:36 AM PST
curious cook says:
Granny, whoever rendered the lard you saw did a bad job. I have never encountered a bristle in lard. And I have never had it leave an "animal" or greasy flavor, either, which the slacker seems to have experienced.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 10:22:35 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 16, 2010 3:53:15 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 10:25:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 16, 2010 5:25:31 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 11:30:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2010 6:25:08 AM PST
James Walsh says:
Absolutely impossible to make good tortillas or tamales without lard--or to make proper wrappers for certain dim sum, such as har gow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 11:59:55 AM PST
joaniepony says:
I agree!! I'm an eater not a cook!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 12:08:04 PM PST
ace™ says:
Cooking does not, however, mitigate the dose of Vitamin K. Those with clotting disorders, beware cruciferous veggies!

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 2:10:59 PM PST
joaniepony says:
Cat, If you wear cruciferous veggies, will it keep vampires away?

I told the story of my almost boyfriend, picking the cruciferous veggies out of his dressingless salad. Real exciting guy!!!!!

Hypothroidism, C veggies inhibit the absorption of iodine, or something like that.

I think I've read everthing is bad for you. ala Pritikin diet!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 2:17:32 PM PST
curious cook says:
pony, life is bad for you, and it is 100% fatal. I don't recommend it for the faint of heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 2:24:09 PM PST
ace™ says:
Yes, it WILL keep vampires away and actually refers to the cruciform shape of the petals and stamens (alternate and opposite, to be exact) within each flower. I had to take broccoli (and most other cruciferous plants) flowers, pull off the male parts (so no cross-pollination we didn't want) and then gather the flowers of the male cross, pollinate the females, then bag them (so no insects could pollinate them as well) and tag them with the cross. BORING... but interesting in the long run when we saw the results of the crosses that summer!

As for everything is bad for you... as a population, it is true... and, so for the entire population, moderation (and avoidance for some) is again the key.
And yes, everyone who has eaten tomatoes has died... and so has everyone who hasn't. Just shows how statistics can be manipulated to one's purposes. Like on the "spanking your children should be ILLEGAL!" thread... lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2010 2:44:08 PM PST
curious cook says:
nice post, Catherine, but I do take issue with the "everyone who has eaten tomatoes has died" part. I have eaten tomatoes today, and I'm still kickin. However, I will grant you that everyone who ever ate tomatoes will die...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  481
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions