Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Do people still cook with lard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 481 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2010 5:39:54 PM PST
joaniepony says:
Cat, Vinegar Powder? Wow that sounds great!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2010 5:55:13 PM PST
ace™ says:
jp, this is where I bought vinegar powder several years ago... and still have a bit of the one pound bag left! It's quite inexpensive and very nice to use when you want that "vinegar twang" but don't want to dilute whatever you're making... great for rib rubs and the like. Spice Barn is very reputable and I have found quite a few things there that aren't easy to find. Now, if I could just find MALT vinegar powder, I'd be in heaven on earth!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2010 8:10:30 PM PST
curious cook says:
lol, Gdub. You brought back memories. My mom used to ply us with 7-up when we had upset tummies. I can't even smell the stuff without feeling nauseated. (interesting word fact -- guess I should post it on the "word use" thread. Being nauseous means you cause others to be nauseated. I always chuckle when someone says they were nauseous....)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2010 8:16:43 PM PST
curious cook says:
CI does have a two step method, but they also recently published a "cold oil" method that accomplishes the same thing. You just put the fries in the cold oil and bring it quickly up to temp. I haven't tried it, but they swear the fries don't get greasy. In theory, I suppose it would do the same thing as the two step process. I have a fryer as well, with a regulator. I cook them for a few minutes at 325, then raise the basket, bring the oil to 375, and drop them back in to brown. I cook fries so rarely, that I haven't yet tried them in the lard since I found the good stuff at whole foods. Though I don't use it often, I do love my fryer. DeLonghi D895UX Cool-Touch ROTO Electric 1-1/2-Pound-Capacity Food Fryer

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2010 9:17:13 PM PST
joaniepony says:
CC, here's another "Me Too" I have that model fryer, but have decieded to go with a Lodge Dutch Oven and basket, Thermapen and my Max, cook outside!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2010 9:27:48 PM PST
joaniepony says:
Mint leaf tea is the cure all. heirba buena. I for sure am going to have it as a kitchen plant. If you want anything to grow out of doors here, you have to go out and water it every 2 seconds.

Posted on Jan 15, 2010 7:01:15 AM PST
James Walsh says:
The two-step fry is the safest and surest way to do it at home. Now, if you want to be unsafe . . .

Cut the fries relatively thin. Then freeze them, shaking them every once in a while to keep them from sticking. Crank the fryer up around 400 (or higher, if your heat source isn't heavy duty). Put on goggles and make sure there are no large areas of exposed skin. Put the fries in . . . and get back quickly! Voila . . . one step fries.

Note: This method is safer in the industrial fryers used in restaurants. Not recommended for home use (but it will make your day lively).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010 9:26:48 AM PST
GW says:
Great Idea on the spud frying. I DO BELIEVE the first temp WAS 325.
Wait, wait.......what was that? VINEGAR POWDER?????

Tell me more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 1:20:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2010 1:34:09 AM PST
Caryatid says:
Catherine, thanks so much for the suggestions, as well as feedback on my "piggy smile". I like to call it "Sign of the Oink"....

Now on to frying matters: I suspected as much regarding the need for a deep fat fryer. I've been using an ordinary teflon coated 11" skillet, and end up with bits of oil or congealing lard all over my range, walls and kitchen floor after a frying adventure. I don't get burnt because I've learned to use an elbow-high non-flammable oven mitt of my grandmother's.

Very cool comment about not using fabric softener on kitchen towels! (Although maybe I should consider it for my other towels). I don't remove skins or soak potatoes in water either, not after my hash brown incident, when my shredded potatoes got a odd almost pinkish color AND got water-logged, causing major hot fat splatters in my frying skillet.

Excess starch, I read that term in cookbooks a lot. I thought potatoes and pasta were all starch to begin with? I don't like the slimy texture that both take on after rinsing. Makes sense that it would leach the nutrients too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 1:33:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2010 1:38:15 AM PST
Caryatid says:
James, your two-step method for shoestring fries sounded very familiar, like when I do my frying, but without the cooking finesse you describe! And my grandmother's upper arm-length oven mitt (imagine opera gloves), necessary for to protecting "large areas of exposed skin" is from an institutional cafeteria kitchen, so I laughed when you mentioned industrial fryers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 8:34:16 AM PST
curious cook says:
I often use the fryer out on the deck as well. Though the delonghi model does do a good job of minimizing odors with the filter. My favorite feature is the way the oil drains, though. It really minimizes the mess, and makes it very easy to clean the inside.

Posted on Jan 17, 2010 9:31:03 AM PST
Narie says:
Back to lard- avoid shelf stable product; it definitely not the same product. There are baked goods recipes, cakes and cookies, which call for lard. If you use vegetable shortening, you will loose the both distinctive texture and taste of the recipe. The problem is finding a source of good lard. When you do, it keeps very well frozen.

Posted on Jan 17, 2010 10:31:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2010 10:35:53 AM PST
joaniepony says:
I have used the 2 step fry method once, for potato chips. I use a flour sack type of muslin towel for rolling up and drying the potatoes. for kitchen odors, I use an Alpine fan(The one that is over-priced and tauted on the radio in the early 2000's) The Delonghi fryer is so easy to clean, after I drain the cooking oil, I use soapy water on the inside and drain it down the emptying tube and rinse the same way.

CC you have a deck to cook outside on, you really need to add a Max Burton Induction to your collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 3:55:59 PM PST
curious cook says:
I know, Joanie. I have looked at them. I am on a gadget moratorium at the moment, though. Maybe in the spring. That's the only way to clean the Delonghi. Very easy.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 9:18:25 AM PST
Zusiqu says:
For those who think lard is bad for your health, consider this... Pig fat is made up of long chain fatty acids. So are your nerves and your brain. Too much fat will make you fat, of course, but the hydrogenated oils are FAR worse for a person's health than natural fat sources.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 9:34:59 AM PST
joaniepony says:

I would use lard if I could find "Pure Lard", but a lot of junk is added. I remember the "Butter scare", that has gone full circle.
Flour Tortillas are only good when made with lard!!

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 8:21:24 AM PST
MovieFan77 says:
This is a very good and helpful discussion. I do appreciate and respect all of the positive contributions and clarifications about hydrogenation and pointing out the ambigious and dubious nutritional guidelines. Now I know what to look for.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 9:21:44 AM PST
there was an NYT article a few years ago about making pie crusts with lard...IIRC Chris Kimball of CI/ATK uses lard for his pie crusts, but he has his own pigs

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 6:17:22 PM PST
Montana says:
"I think lard really got a bad name when people started calling other people "lard @ss" or "tub o' lard"... it didn't help the already sullied rep from just being an animal fat."

I had to laugh when I read this. When I was in high school, there were a couple of twins that were quite large and they were known as "The Lard Boys" by everyone, not just by those wishing to put them down. They even had "The Lardmobile" stenciled on the car they shared. I'm sure it's unimportant in the discussion, but couldn't help myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 6:24:12 PM PST
Montana says:
I grew up in Wisconsin and remember the discussions about whether yellow margarine ought to be allowed to be sold. The farmers were not at all happy when it was allowed.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 10:19:56 PM PST
Carlgo says:
Damn, now I want to fry something like french fries and fried chicken perhaps. Remember when McDonald's had good fries? Some degree of beef fat was involved but then some vegetarian religion person complained and now they use health oil and the fries are just ok, quite unremarkable.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 6:22:04 AM PST
Micki Sannar says:
Years ago I did use lard...only occasionally I might add.
I9 years ago I was told that I had very high cholesterol and that lead me down the path of all things olive oil. I switched all of my unhealthy fat consumption to olive oil and over a seven year period of time, I dropped 98 points from my cholesterol. In fact this change led me to write a cookbook titled, Olive Oil Desserts .
Everyone knows that desserts recipes most always call for some kind of bad fat. There are fat free dessert recipes but they taste like fat free recipes. I figured out how to keep the yummy in dessert, but use healthy fat (EVOO) in my recipes.

As a side note, I would rather use lard than margarine and other synthetic fats because at least I know it is real fat :)

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 10:08:03 AM PST
I've used lard in pie crusts in the past and it does serve to make a fluffy, crisp crust but I hate the way it kind of coats your tongue and the roof of your mouth afterward. Since giving that up I prefer to use Crisco shortening in my pie crusts often using 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 1:12:22 PM PST
Bulldog says:
Because we were told that hydrogenated fat (now called trans fat, because if we change our mind, we have to change the name) was better for us.

I still cook with Lard, depending on what I'm doing. Always have, because I never understood how taking a monosaturated, or polysaturated and forcing hydrogen to bond to it was healthier than just using plain old butter or lard. Hey, guess who was right!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 1:16:05 PM PST
Bulldog says:
It wasn't a "vegetarian religion" it was the Jewish community. It is not Kosher to eat the back fat of any animal. That was reserved for God, and the prime cuts of meat for the priests (imagine that). I guess they figured it was too big of a market share to ignore (along with the Muslims, Hindu's, and your other "vegetarian religions").
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (872 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  481
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions