Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Do people still cook with lard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 481 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 1:29:58 PM PST
ZYBYSKO says:
becausde commercial lard is hydrogented super trans fat whereas home rendered fatback lard is as stated
less sat fat than butter
and lard spoils easily and must be strained while rendering off either in a spattering fry pan or simmered
and butter got a bad rep from the margarine mfrs but now with so much land turned over to nonedible corn varieties for ethanol corn oil price is too high to make marg. that much cheaper

but there is nothing like home rendered lard for flaky pastries or pie crusts and like duck fat is great for eggs, and frittattas

and the "confit" is just a french method of preserving foods for winter without refrig, sealing it under a layer of duck or lard fat

so there..............all explained... the probleme is "solv-ed" as clouseau says

zybysko

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 5:29:30 PM PST
Carlgo says:
TV cooks sometimes mention duck fat as a sumptuous way to fry, but would it work for baking? Would it pass the test of some of the religions Bulldog mentions? Isn't there a school of thought that says any additive, or process invented before 1900 is ok, but you have to watch the modern stuff that came upon the scene when chemistry became mainstream?

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:44:23 AM PST
Waves says:
If you render your own fat back or leaf lard (the purer lard from around the kidneys) you will have the best lard in the world. It has been proven that these fats are much healthier than all the hydro fats in stores. I am culinary trained beginning a blog in January. We already have all the photographs taken of rendering process and how to freeze portions. You will make pie crusts, biscuits, and many other savory items that will taste amazing. Same for duck fat etc.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 11:40:25 PM PST
I would be interested in reading your blog. I have friends that raise hogs and I was telling them about 35 years ago my folks attempted to render down the fat in our kitchen oven. OMG, the smell was enough to...well, let's just say it was bad. I'm sure something went wrong, but I know my friends would really like to utilize all the "resources".

I am opening up a pastry shop next month and I wouldn't dream of making a pie without using lard in my crust. I have tried many, many different recipes and always go back to my grandma's tried and true pie crust recipe.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 2:48:20 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 23, 2011 4:07:15 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 4:12:20 AM PST
Waves says:
send me your email and I will send you the info.

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 1:12:38 PM PST
Frank Ogle says:
Lard makes the best Homemade Biscuits!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 5:02:21 PM PST
Bulldog says:
I did a quick read up on the subject and yeah, there's a lot of things that can go wrong when rendering your own lard. Too high of a temperature, using a copper or brass pot. It's something I would like to do. I'm also wondering if a butcher would render the lard for you if you sent a pig to them for cutting. Not that I own a pig at this time, but I'm thinking into the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 5:59:55 AM PST
I'm going to step out on a limb here and spread a rumor, so I ask to be forgiven in advance. I heard that prior to the BIG WARS that most people cooked with coconut oil from the philipines. During the war America had to figure out how to cook without it so the governmennt put up these oil factories to supply us with vegetable oil to cook with. AFter the wars were rover and supplywas available again, the governemnt had these oil factories that had people employed so they had to create a market for their fine vegetable oil as well as canola oil and the advertising blitz was on. It was my impression that these oils were never intended to be used frying at high temperatures and become toxic at such high heat a fact that the governement failed to pass along. However in order to keep the factories going, they had to bad mouth other oils which can withstand high heat in cooking. Lard I believe can take the heat, though that is just what my mother says.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 8:32:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2011 8:35:46 AM PST
Mudfish says:
Heck yes we do. Everything you loved when you were a kid that no longer tastes the same? Lard. My 98 and 96 year old in-laws have eaten a half pound daily their entire lives - neither has a cholesterol, heart, weight or cognitive problem. I've gone back to it and given up all the chemical sugar subs too.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 3:30:13 PM PST
L. Butler says:
I didn't even know what lard was until recently. It sounds gross but I'm not going to judge because I love goat's milk and know plenty of people who think that's disgusting. I only cook with unsalted butter or olive oil, or occasionally smart balance if I absolutely need to use margarine. I heard lard is why hostess cupcakes are non-kosher and non-vegetarian though, is that true?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 3:51:41 PM PST
Waves says:
Hi, well first of all Hostess and margarine are not food.....or vegetable oils.. Think of Crisco as nothing more than chemicals. Freshly rendered lard is a natural and exceptional fat for baking and cooking. It makes amazing products. But do not buy the garbage sold in grocery stores. It is just as unhealthy as Crisco!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 3:56:53 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 26, 2011 3:58:09 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 4:00:58 PM PST
L. Butler says:
I will just have to take your word on the lard ... I don't eat pig products. Homemade butter is good enough for me.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 9:41:25 PM PST
Livia says:
http://www.motherlindas.com/lard.htm

Interesting article on one woman's journey from Crisco to Butter to organic lard.....

I found out about this website from Sally Fallon's book, "Nourishing Traditions."

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 9:49:06 PM PST
L. Butler says:
Has anyone else noticed that lard seems to be more common in colder places? I noticed in the article she mentioned hungarian cooking and german cooking and it's a rich source of vitamin d. Maybe it became a nutritional necessity in colder climates much like dairy? I mostly do mediterranean and middle eastern dishes, probably why I am just now finding out about lard but it's quite an interesting subject. Can lard be made from anything other than pork?

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 10:29:10 PM PST
ace™ says:
"Can lard be made from anything other than pork?"

nope. lard is pig and pig only. just like schmaltz is chicken fat only. beef fat is suet. each fat from each animal has its own name so that you can tell them apart. if someone says "lard" they mean "pig fat".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 11:57:00 AM PST
Eric says:
Leaf lard is really hard to find--if it has been processed correctly it doesn't have a hint of pig. Cheap lard can taste piggy and or smell of pig when cooking. But, leaf lard will spoil if not kept refrigerated. Transfat is an oil which has been super-saturated with hydrogen to create a solid fat at room temperature--it is hygienic and generally well-tolerated by the vast majority of people. Cotton-seed oil was used because it was a by-product and non-allergenic as far as I know.
Artificially saturated fats (hydrogenated cotton seed oil) were superior for texture, neutral taste and resistance to oxygenation/spoilage. Also, the fat was better for releasing food from aluminum pans than any other eatable product known to man. People are returning to lard due to a lack of choice not due to a superior product.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 12:32:40 PM PST
Waves says:
I do believe people are going back to using lard as it yields a far superior product, for instance a pie crust, than Crisco, as well as it is a healthier product. Leaf lard is very difficult to find, but certainly not impossible. Leaf lard, the fat that surrounds the kidney's has a very pure taste. I buy 10 pounds at a time from a local pork producer. ..or you can but it rendered from a farm called Flying Pigs.. I pay $1.00 and pound from mylocal place . Here it much more expensive, but it is available.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 3:11:15 PM PST
M. Baily says:
Yes, i recently bought a pie crust, got it home, to find it had HYDROGENATED lard in it! God knows what that will do to my vegetarian body, it hit the trash can quicker than quick!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 3:59:38 PM PST
ace™ says:
"People used what they had when they didn't have as many choices as we have today." ◄ boston lesbian

true. when lard was really popular, more people lived on farms and raised their own food. they were very frugal so when they slaughtered and butchered an animal for food, they used the ENTIRE animal, snout to tail. this is still the way in many countries right now because they cannot afford to throw part of the animal away (the fat) and then go BUY something to replace it.

my daughter is raising her own animals for food and we have to instruct the fellow doing the butchering to save the offal, fat and bones because otherwise, he will either throw them away (or more likely, sell them!) because he believes that americans don't want "that stuff"... and most probably don't. we have reverence for the animals we slaughter for food and want nothing to go to waste.

but, nowadays, in this country, people have detached from their sustenance (both animal and vegetable) and buy unhealthy substitutes in grocery stores. it is really sad, at least to me.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 4:04:48 PM PST
Carlgo says:
All Whole Foods stores carry lard? It is confirmed that it is the good kind? Why would genuine lard available in other stores be bad?

I do the two-step french fry thing, but have been getting less than perfect results. Put a thermometer in the fryer and found it doesn't heat the oil past about 325. I made some very thin fries, shoestring style, and they were good, but I guess another fryer is in order.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 4:14:58 PM PST
ace™ says:
i do the two-step french fry thing as well... and i use anthony bourdain's recipe from les halles in NYC...
first fry is at 265º F for 8 minutes. then, i take them out and drain them on newspaper (or you can use a towel... or paper towels) and let them cool completely. then, just before dinner is going on the table, i fry them again at 375º F for about 5 minutes... until they are nicely browned. as soon as they come out of the fryer, they go in a bowl lined with a cotton or linen dishtowel. i salt them and then give the towel a quick shake and pull it out up one side of the bowl to distribute the salt. best dang french fries i've ever had!! and yes, oil temp is very important... blanch first in cool oil, then fry hot! YUM!

as i think i have posted before, i don't have a whole foods near me... but the "genuine lard" in stores that is considered bad (as far as i know) is the shelf-stable hydrogenated lard. anything hydrogenated (like crisco) is not good for you. i think if it's refrigerated and doesn't say it's hydrogenated, it's considered the "good stuff", but can still vary in quality based on what part of the pig it comes from. leaf lard (from around the kidneys) is considered the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 5:35:36 PM PST
Cloud says:
The fat from bacon or pancetta used in coq au vin or pasta sauce is a form of lard. These posts have been helpful in educating me about the saturated fat, cholesterol content of lard and relieves my guilt when I use a tad at the finish of Chinese recipes like shrimp or chicken stir fry dishes just as do with a dab of butter or heavy cream in French, Italian cooking. Thanks all!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 2:31:20 PM PST
Bulldog says:
I'm still jealous of your daughter, ace. Yes a lot of the waste would be sold, probably to the raw pet food industry these days. I know the local butcher here makes his own frozen raw food that he sells for over $1/lb and it's basically the leftovers that he used to give away for free.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (854 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  481
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions