Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Appliances not made in China

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 12:39:20 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
A big part of the problem is the cost of doing business here and that's something the government can help by, e.g., giving tax breaks to businesses. Also, bear in mind that not only are goods from communist countries like China shoddy (and still not cheap, BTW; owners are putting the savings in their own pockets rather than passing it along to their customer base) but that their governments are ideologically and specifically committed to the destruction of...guess which country?
Thirty or so years ago, people would look at you askance if you bought something, say, from Romania (if you could find such goods at all) because it was understood and not questioned that it wasn't done. Thanks, Richard Nixon. :(

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 7:47:08 PM PDT
Not sure what they would have to offer in small kitchen appliances, but Bosch, which is German engineered, are made in North Carolina. Their power tools are great, and I have an awesome front-load washer from them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 7:53:21 PM PDT
Della says:
Bosch is a very high-end appliance, good reputation; and if it's made in NC, it's got to be good; they take pride in their workmanship/craftmanship.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 9:02:04 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I have a Bosch mixer; it's made in Slovenia (still better than China, I think).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 5:17:46 PM PDT
Amanda says:
You should talk to the the very old people (with knowledge) to learn that your assumption that everything made in US and Europe started out with quality.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 6:26:57 PM PDT
Kim says:
Stay away from the Vertigenious Rotisserie by Cuizen! It's a piece of junk! The motor in the bottom of it broke after only five or six uses

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 8:31:33 AM PDT
Della says:
Regarding the post from someone mentioning checking with someone older ..... I may be what you consider "old" although I don't feel "old" most days. I'm 73
in 11 more days. Yes, I am old enough and I do remember quality workmanship and
craftmanship and also when companies stood behind their products. When I grew
up things were made to last ... and I do mean last! It wasn't like now people
expect to replace some machines, etc., within a certain amount of years. People
were economically savvy and knew not to waste money. It was a "waste not want
not' era all of which I still practice and have taught my children. I'm sure there might have been some products that weren't up to par, but most everything made in the USA was of good quality as well as in Europe. I think I am old enough to be able to compare now and then quite well.It's very disappointing to buy things now and have them break in a week or a month, something that should last much longer. Then you have to call a
"service" person who doesn't know how to repair the "new" item. So, at times, even the training of the serice person is not up to par.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 8:45:45 AM PDT
Paul123 says:
I am 65 years old Bobbitt, we all have the tendency of remember the positives not the negatives. In general I think products last longer now and are relatively not as expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 8:55:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 8:56:48 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
@E. Bobbitt Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself, especially since you have 16 years on me and hence a better frame of reference.

It's true that not everything that was made here was of excellent quality (and no one claimed it was) but prices usually reflected that: if you paid for junk, you probably got junk. And for that matter, if I'm going to end up with junk, I'd rather support our own junk-producing manufacturers than those based elsewhere. But we, and some European countries as well, produced a LOT of excellent, fairly priced goods, goods that are still operative and that still maintain good resale value. And we still produce good stuff. That's what I want to own, when possible, not East Asian junk.

I needed a garlic press recently and picked up an old, Swiss-made model from the '60s for about $7, including shipping. The new ones are made in Asia, expensive, and tend to break; I think I got a deal.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 8:59:12 AM PDT
curious cook and those who are cheapskates-the reason why Chinese products are not good is that Chinese laborers are rushed into making them. For every 100 or 1000 workers, there is 1 boss, for every 100 bosses there is 1 owner, a millionaire who claims to be communist, but is the worst capitalist ever. China is full of graft and corruption. Take a look at shoes-almost every other country in the world makes better quality shoes than China. THE ISSUE IS NOT THAT CHINA CANNOT MAKE QUALITY GOODS. THEY CAN IF THEY WANT TO-JUST LIKE FRANCE, US, GERMANY AND JAPAN-THEY WILL NEVER MAKE QUALITY IF THE COMPANIES THAT OUTSOURCE THEM THE BUSINESS PAY MORE MONEY AND INSIST ON BETTER QUALITY, IE WALMART, COSTCO, HOME DEPOT, TOYSRUS. Curious cook-you should be curious about the future of your children/grandchildren if you do not make attempts to buy US made goods. AMERICANS-BUY US GOODS WHENEVER POSSIBLE, IF NOT BUY FROM A COUNTRY THAT DOES NOT HAVE A HUGE TRADE DEFICIT WITH US AND MAKES QUALITY GOODS. Oh, by the way, China has 1 of the highest success ratios for organ transplant operations-WHY? They bring the unwilling live donor to the operation site (usually a political prisoner/dissident) and execute the prisoner quickly and mercifully without ruining the organs. Then, they transplant the organs into the wealthy Chinese capitalist or Westerner. If you visit China, do not ctiticize the govt or your family may be told that you went missing, Hmm How Convenient!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 9:05:54 AM PDT
Della says:
Yes - we need to support our own country. Since the Fair Trade Act, our status has gone down, people out of work, hard times; Chinese are much better off and living better than ever. That's fine. But we need to support the USA first; just like in a family, you have to take care of your own before you start taking care of others. It all works out in the end. The buying/selling can't be lopsided; China isn't buying our goods ..... so ......

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 9:07:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 9:08:09 AM PDT
Della says:
Excellent post. I think everyone needs reminding from time to time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 9:08:58 AM PDT
lefleur says:
I totally agree with both and many of you that share the same thoughts. I own my own floral design and interior design company and take the EXTRA time to find merchandise made here in America on U.S. soil. I'm even in the process of making my own table linens & chair covers. I have clients who specifically requested that their event items are U.S. made. So that's what I'm doing. We should lose the sense of pride that we used to have in creating, manufacturing and selling our own goods.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 9:11:05 AM PDT
lefleur says:
Damn right!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 12:35:00 PM PDT
Thanks dear E.Bobbit; I'm younger that you, but I also have information to compare how it was done before and now, some...Globalization, Marketing (=brainwashing) and wide open border is a big threat in my opinion:How are things done now? Products are designed in one place, then a factory is selected (the cheapest one, most likely in china or india) Workers who had no previous experience will mass produce it, and put a famous label . When we buy it - we think it was made BY this company, in a decent , clean place... Well, there is some quality control logistics people, but there is "no craftsmanship" in those products, no solid quality. They save on everything to only make profits and marketing to convince us to buy it. Moreover, they are so smart now that can create a DEMAND of a new product that we never used and never needed before just to -again- mass produce it and make money. For example a well known shoe company (as far as I know) has not a single factory - all products are made all around the world and shipped here.... Not even cheap junk for consumers .....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 7:54:45 PM PDT
joaniepony says:
Some of the popular brands that you think are made in the USA are made in China.

Viking's Stoves are made in the USA, but other products are made in China. Viking Portable Induction is made in China and costs $499 while the Max Burton Induction is advertised as made in China and costs $100.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 5:20:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 10:55:49 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 5:22:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 10:55:50 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 5:58:33 PM PDT
sam cook says:
you have to get the older cast iron skillets /etc. those are the only ones made in America.
I have some my mother used when she first set up housekeeping in the 1950's.
take care of them properly, and they will last for ever. And make the best oven baked cornbread.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 7:09:45 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I have two cast iron skillets that I bought new in the '70s when I got married and another two that are 100+ years old that I like even more (lighter in weight, smoother surface). My parents' cast iron is from the '50s and they still use it. Great stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 2:45:17 AM PDT
"Also, bear in mind that not only are goods from communist countries like China shoddy "
Overgeneralisation. Typically, a factory in China catering to a western customer will produce the quality that customer orders. As most buyers here don't care for quality, they just want cheap (and then later complain about the quality anyway when it breaks after a few weeks or months), importers and other companies don't order the highest quality that factory could supply for most of their product line (the top end goods they make come out of the same factory and are good, but cost the part).

I've known a guy working as a product designer for a company designing and manufacturing kitchen equipment. He went to China several times to get a factory there set up to manufacture a new model he'd designed. They went through several iterations until the product was just good enough to meet the quality requirements under which it would sell and last for the duration of warranty. Then they built a higher quality model with more options to sell at a premium price.

That's the game that's being played. And it'd be played here too if our labour cost (and other costs of operating here) wouldn't be so high that it makes no sense but to make only the very best of your products here.

It's the same with mucical instruments. The same factories that make cheap knockoffs of US brands that sound horrible and sell in bulk as kits and on eBay to kids wanting to have a guitar cheap also produce the midrange instruments (and in some cases the highend instruments) for A-brand companies that are very good indeed and used by professionals with multi-million CD sales and worldwide concert tours.
Same factory, but different production line and raw materials, probably different skill level of the people employed on it as well.

But yes, I prefer locally produced goods. Both for political reasons (don't want to support communist China and its human rights abuses), and to support the local economy (but then we've no manufacturing capability left for most things so that's becoming more and more a moot point), but not because it's automatically better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 2:47:57 AM PDT
"But we, and some European countries as well, produced a LOT of excellent, fairly priced goods, goods that are still operative and that still maintain good resale value"

you'd be surprised how much of those goods are produced in low labour countries, shipped to Europe or the US, repackaged, and sold as local products.
All it apparently takes to be able to call it "made in USA" is for any work to have been done to it at all. If you ship a coffee maker in from China and print the brand name on it at the US importer facility, then box it, you can call it "made in USA" when really it isn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 6:15:41 AM PDT
Z says:
Look at the Robot Coupe "Magimix". Expensive, yes, but made in France. They used to make the original Cuisinart before Cuisinart went to China. The Magimix does just about anything you need with more power and speed than the others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 6:54:22 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
In all fairness (and despite having a perfectly functional Japanese Cuisinart, I'd snap up a Magimix right now if I could afford it because Williams-Sonoma is running a special), there's a video on YouTube that shows the problems a German owner is having with his.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 7:00:53 AM PDT
when I lived overseas, I bought a juicer in Germany (Moilinex), that was made in France...excellent mashine, powerful, quiet, very efficien, etc etc., but then I bought in Canada one similar looking, "Hamilton Beach" made in China.. -very disapointed! used it couple of time, and now it sits somewhere in storage. parts don't fit snuggly, juice is leaking from everywhere, not easy to clean, very noisy ,lots of veggies/gruits goes to waste.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  314
Total posts:  1063
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 42 customers

Search Customer Discussions