Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Do people still cook with lard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 481 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 29, 2011 9:04:50 AM PST
Mitzi Petty says:
Sorry to say; but "yes" people, especially from the South, still cook with lard. You don't see too many people my age (50) and under cooking with it but the old timers say that "there's no other way to fry chicken, make biscuits etc..." and these are the people who are in their 90's and do not have cholesterol problems. Can you imagine?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 10:16:01 AM PST
Waves says:
That's because they most likely do not eat junk foods!

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 1:11:00 PM PST
booklover says:
Sure they do and here in the Smoky Mountains where I live some of the older folks have always used that and continue to. I remember my grandmother used it a lot even to make her biscuits. According to a show I just saw a few days ago on Food Network it is better for you than shortening. I think it was Alton Brown's show. I'm not sure about the kind you might find in a store but you can make your own since all it is is the fat rendered from cooking meat. I save all my bacon and sausage grease to season beans and cabbage and other foods with. Saving your own is the way you should go if you want to be certain nothing has been added to it like the food companies are so fond of doing to everything we eat these days. I think that is where this country has gone wrong with it's food production is not leaving food in it's natural state rather than adding all the additives and preservatives, etc. That, in my opinion, is what is making us sick and also making up obese. For instance, if the stuff they feed cattle to fatten them up will make them fat then why won't it also make us fat too when we eat their meat? Also, the way they take whole grains and remove all the good stuff and leave only what we get today which has little to no nutrition. Then, of course, they turn around and try to sell the good stuff back to us in the form of wheat germ and wheat bran, etc.

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 8:47:19 PM PST
Brie says:
Honestly, I don't even know where I can buy lard...so nope.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 8:52:42 PM PST
Carlgo says:
People have said Whole Foods. But is that confirmed, is it in every store, what does it cost, any experiences or details?

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 3:25:03 AM PST
My husband is British & I know from visiting relatives there that they use lard in baked goods. I don't think that eating something made from lard once in a while will do you any great harm. All things in moderation is OK.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 6:41:24 AM PST
McDuff426 says:
Lard was something to blame for the side effects of inactivity, many many gourmet products include lard and promote the fact as well as mentioning that is a natural ingredient. Then there's your local bakery and doughnut chains.
My Grandma made it to 114 and I wouldn't have messed with her to the last, Grandpa saw 103. Everything they ate was prepared in well seasoned cast iron with bacon fat. So far I have followed tradition, in my 60's now, other than Parkinson's I've had no issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 7:09:27 AM PST
Waves says:
great story. my grandpa was 99 and ate two eggs with butter every morning. He would only eat bakery made with butter and lard saying the others tasted like 'nothing'

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 11:11:03 AM PST
Another reason would be the shunning of meat and/or animal products.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:11:22 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
I still cook with lard! I use it when baking my own bread, 2 1/2 T. for three loaves. And my bread stays fresher longer using lard. Lard is great for fried food, though I don't do much of that any more, but if I did, I would use lard. It is more difficult to find good lard in the marketplace these days. Why don't people use it anymore? I think the answer to that is that the market has decided that they would rather have customers buying more expensive items like butter and fancy oils. Just like they told us that Palm oil is so bad for us, but really it is not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:14:18 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Lard is cheap and is usually found in a box in the isle where Crisco is stocked.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:17:45 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Lard is really made from a particular type of fat in a particular part of the animal. It is not just fat rendered from any meat. That is called DRIPPINGS, not lard.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:18:43 PM PST
ace™ says:
true, but that lard is partially hydrogenated, which is why i buy fatback and render it myself. it's still not as good as leaf lard from around the kidneys, but it's better than the shelf-stable trans-fat lard.

i do, however, use the hydrogenated lard in an emergency when i can't find any fatback in the store and my home-rendered supply has run out. it's still better for you than crisco!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:18:43 PM PST
Waves says:
That is the really bad lard. chemically processed. Good lard must be purchased fresh and rendered, preferably leaf lard from around the kidneys. Fresh non rendered or rendered lard can be purchased at good butchers or better markets.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:19:47 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
Lard is lard, not HYDROGENATED!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:21:37 PM PST
Recipe Diva says:
I usually buy it from the butcher too, but they are becoming a scarce rescource.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:23:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2011 3:24:02 PM PST
ace™ says:
the shelf-stable lard by the crisco (i.e. not refrigerated) IS partially hydrogenated... as waves points out, it is chemically processed. that's what makes it shelf-stable. the good lard (non-hydrogenated and non-processed) must be refrigerated or it will go rancid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:27:17 PM PST
ace™ says:
from wisegeek.com:

"Fresh lard is not shelf stable, and it does need to be stored under refrigeration. Most commercial lard is stabilized, often through hydrogenation, which means that it can contain harmful trans fats."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-lard.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:31:29 PM PST
Waves says:
I render it, package it in 1/2 cup portions which is what I need for pie crusts and biscuits. It can be frozen for 2 years easily IF it is packaged well!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 3:39:53 PM PST
ace™ says:
actually, i DO keep my excess rendered lard in the freezer... along with my duck fat! i put it in plastic deli-type round containers with lids that snap on tightly. works really well, except that sometimes i think there's still a container left in the freezer... i dig around (chest style freezer) and discover, to my horror, that i used the last package! then, i send hubby to central market....

i also save chicken fat (schmaltz) for using in my dumplings... it makes the best, lightest chicken 'n' dumplings ever! i learned that trick (warm the milk and chix fat together before mixing into the flour mixture) from chris kimball of america's test kitchen/cook's illustrated. my dumplings are perfect EVERY time... light and FLUFFY and flavorful! (i think i'd better go thaw a chicken now.... )

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 5:42:08 PM PST
Bulldog says:
I actually think it's years and years of hearing lard/saturated fats = bad, hydrogenated polyunsaturates = good. I also like how they confuse people by changing the name of hydrogenated polyunsaturates to trans-fats. You will never see trans-fat on a label, and it seems that a lot of people don't know that they're the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 5:45:13 PM PST
Bulldog says:
**sigh**

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard
"Industrially-produced lard, including much of the lard sold in supermarkets, is rendered from a mixture of high and low quality fat sources from throughout the pig.[8] To improve stability at room temperature, lard is often hydrogenated. Hydrogenated lard sold to consumers typically contains fewer than 0.5g of transfats per 13g serving.[9] Lard is also often treated with bleaching and deodorizing agents, emulsifiers, and antioxidants, such as BHT.[4][10] These treatments make lard more consistent and prevent spoilage. (Untreated lard must be refrigerated or frozen to prevent rancidity.)[11][12]"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:30:38 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 1, 2012 5:32:17 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:31:32 AM PST
Waves says:
exactly...good info!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:32:57 AM PST
Waves says:
I want to eat at your house!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  481
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions