Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Steamer for baby food

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 29, 2011 10:20:20 AM PDT
Wave Guide says:
I want to buy a steamer primarily to cook vegetables, not so much rice. I looked through the reviews and the one linked below looks fine, although I did not understand if one can steam veggies without steaming rice at the same time. Does anybody has any experience with steaming veggies only? Are there any better appliances (preferably inexpensive, around $40 max.) for this purpose?
Aroma ARC-838TC 8-Cup (Uncooked), 16-Cup (Cooked) Digital Rice Cooker and Food Steamer, White

Posted on May 31, 2011 10:24:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2011 11:06:10 AM PDT
Lynn K. says:
Nordic Ware Microwave Vegetable and Seafood Steamer 11 Inch by 8.6 Inch

I have this one, it goes in the microwave.

Update-Nordicware's web site states that this product is BPA free.

http://www.nordicware.com/store/products/detail/microwave-vegetable-amp-seafood-steamer/22669EEE-7C89-102A-B382-0002B3267AD7.

btw, I haven't used it for my baby- we have a metal steamer as well, like the one DragonRockLTD posted.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 1:31:14 PM PDT
I think you could probably just throw the veggies in the cooker. Though if you aren't needing to steam rice, why not just go with one of the metal steamers that you put in a pot? They take up far less counter space when you aren't using them and veggies usually don't take very long to steam.
Amco Collapsible Steamer, Stainless Steel

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 6:54:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2011 6:54:36 AM PDT
Aria says:
My wife bought this one on Amazon & she loves it. She has a couple other appliances from this company and has been very happy with the quality.
Breville BFS600XL HealthSmart Food Steamer

During the hot summers she finds the Max Burton 6200 Deluxe 1800-Watt Induction Cooktop to be essential. She sets it up on our screened patio and keeps the kitchen clean and cool.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 1:42:55 AM PDT
Great Cook says:
You said this is to make Baby Food!
You might want this one . Its so easy to use, and does a great job.
I would not cook Baby Food in the Microwave!! It's Not healthy..

http://www.babybrezza.com/?SKCID=%2Bbaby%20%2Bfood%20%2Bsteamer|8935511248|27747867568|1|SEARCH||2333831488|68945128&SK1=1&gclid=CMXG4-H_tKkCFQEQbAod_xGPKA

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 1:46:57 AM PDT
Great Cook says:
Lynn,
This Noridic Ware does not say its BPA free. It is plastic.
I would not give any baby food from this, unless it was BPA free!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 11:12:09 AM PDT
Lynn K. says:
Update-Nordicware's web site states that this product is BPA free.

http://www.nordicware.com/store/products/detail/microwave-vegetable-amp-seafood-steamer/22669EEE-7C89-102A-B382-0002B3267AD7.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 5:43:07 PM PDT
I like this one:

The First Years Babypro All In One Baby Food Maker

It is slightly outside your price point. But it comes with a food processor as well, which is very convenient.

It is BPA free, and I have given it as shower gifts and the moms seem to all like it and use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:38:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 10:40:29 AM PDT
Toomuchnoise says:
I cooked nearly all our own baby food and just used our regular pots and pans. I never do it, but most rice cookers will steam vegies. (or so the box claims!)

I use an Revere steamer pot for the stove. It's not on Amazon but you can get it here: http://tinyurl.com/3b7s853. Of course, you'll also need the pot that goes under it -- but it should hit your $40 goal.

I love the simplicity of it and use it all the time even now that our baby is grown. I love that it washed up easily, which is not true of all steamers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 4:23:46 PM PDT
S. Snow says:
A steamer is healthier on the stove than in the microwave...especially with baby foods. Microwaves destroy the nutrients and add radiation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 4:39:04 PM PDT
S. Snow says:
I totally agree. The consequences of BPA and Microwaves are not worth any convenience that the product would give.
For more about microwaves, see: http://tinyurl.com/4bbxnwr
For more about BPA, see: http://tinyurl.com/4tnewpt
If you'd like scientific studies on BPA, go to OurStolenFuture.org

You can purchase an inexpensive metal steamer basket from most grocery stores. Steam the food in one or two inch chunks, then either puree it in a blender (an Osterizer blender comes with a heavy glass jar); you can also mash the steam food.

I made all my daughter's baby food 39 years ago using a glass jar Osterizer and ice cube trays. The ice cube trays froze individual meal size portions and then, provided choices which only needed to be thawed or possibly heated. Some people have suggested using Ball (canning) jars, which are the same size as the base for the Osterizer blender to blend smaller portions. I did something similar when I needed smaller than full size jars, but I almost always used glass, which is inert, as long as it is not cracked or broken.

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 4:46:28 PM PDT
S. Snow says:
Walmart has a stainless steel steamer basket, which can be put into a medium size pan or even a fry pan with a lid to steam veggies for the family or cook/reheat portions for baby.
I have something very similar that I purchased 35 years ago, but these today are better because the are stainless steel and not aluminum.
Progressive 11" Stainless Steel Steamer Basket. Online it sells for $10.98.
See: http://tinyurl.com/6gbt4vx

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:45:43 AM PST
S. Damon says:
Great Cook says:
"This Noridic Ware does not say its BPA free. It is plastic.
I would not give any baby food from this, unless it was BPA free!"
----
That's not really relevant since you can put the food in a metal or BPA-free plastic container before putting it in the steamer. A simple piece of aluminum foil would also do fine. As is a small metal steaming rack from the $1 store. Even if the steamer's plastic has BPA, it's not vaporized so your food is completely safe if there is no contact.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 9:55:18 AM PST
S. Damon says:
DragonRock LTD says:
"why not just go with one of the metal steamers that you put in a pot? They take up far less counter space when you aren't using them and veggies usually don't take very long to steam.
Amco Collapsible Steamer, Stainless Steel"
---
Those are really tough to hand clean because of all the folding parts and holes. Manual steaming on the stove also lacks many of the safety and convenient features such as a timer and auto-shutoff when there's no water. Electric steamers are generally also faster.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 9:55:21 AM PST
MommaCat says:
I also steamed, pureed and froze my baby food in ice cube trays. Reheated in the microwave. I can't the old wives tale about radiation in microwaves is still going around. Do you also think cats suck the breath out of babies?

I used a simple rice steamer (this was 32 years ago) so there was nothing fancy about it and my Cuisinart. If I wanted to test a food for allergies, I made a handful in a steamer basket over boiling water on the stove-top, then pureed.

Today's stick blenders would be awesome for small amounts of food as well. They aren't expensive and are something to think about since they are much easier to clean than a blender or food processor.

BTW, kudos to you for making your own baby food. Too many people don't realize the junk they're giving their kids just in salt alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 2:51:45 AM PST
Grandma says:
I've had this one in my kitchen for more than 40 years. Inexpensive and fits in almost any pot you have handy. Norpro 175 Stainless Steel Vegetable Steamer

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 3:05:41 AM PDT
JenRioux says:
I am looking for the same thing for the same reason...steamer for baby food just wondering if you found anything??
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (849 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  May 29, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions