Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

I'm looking for a food and drink forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2012 10:03:08 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
the search came up with nothing.

so what would be the next best place to ask

about non alcoholic drink questions!?

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 8:20:14 AM PDT
ColdShot says:
thx for the help....

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 8:44:44 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 8:56:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 9:01:10 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 1:00:13 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
thanks fulton, no DRINK, only food listed!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 2:03:55 PM PDT
Hi ColdShot. Might as well just ask your drink question here. What can it hurt?

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 4:55:21 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
I'm looking for a specific recipe, to make a nyc fresh juice bar, coconut pineapple drink.
made with fresh coconut and fresh pineapple, but that's all I seen or remember.

Dad is no longer around, and Mom does not remember either except she remembers how delicious they were!

So, that's what I'm looking for, the exact recipe for that fresh made pineapple coconut OR coconut pineapple drink.
I forgot how it was billboarded.

Any New Yorkers here remember them hole in the wall standing room only type fresh juice bars?

I found a bunch of stuff on yelp, but they were all sit down places. Do they even still exist?

I used to have some relatives there, but they're all gone now. Nobody left to ask except strangers.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 5:06:59 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 6:17:07 AM PDT
ColdShot says:
No, it was not orange julius, but thanks. orange julius is a sit down go inside kinda place, the type I'm referring to were not sit down juice bars.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 7:27:21 AM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
It sounds like you want a Pina Colada without the booze in it. Get yourself a nice bottle of Pina Colada mixer, put it in a blender with some ice, serve in a nice tall glass with a slice of pineapple for garnish, and see if that does the trick. I went to my favorite recipe site AllRecipes.com, typed in "Pina Colada" and came up with 45 recipes. Pick a drink recipe and just leave out the alcohol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 7:40:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2012 7:41:35 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
You're talking about a piña colada at one of the Paypaya King hot dog stands in Manhattan. They are not alcoholic but a juice drink.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 7:52:21 PM PDT
tonyS says:
I used to go to Papaya King and Orange Julius every week. Until my brother got a job at the Orange Julius - and got fired his very first shift. Good luck finding their recipe.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 8:33:06 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
EXACTLY!!!!

So, now they diversified into hot dogs....for cashflow

Did you ever watch them make one?

If so, do you recall everything they put in the blender?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 8:35:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012 8:36:31 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
Thanks, but what I don't know is, are they making them fresh like back in the day thru the 60's anyways.

Or are they taking shortcuts?

If you went that often, you must have witnessed them making the product! No?!
But maybe you didn't watch too close, cuz you could get one whenever you wanted!?

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 9:06:15 AM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
I found a recipe on AllRecipes.com for a orange pineapple drink, 2/3 cup orange juice, 1/3 cup pineapple juice, 3 scoops orange sherbet, blend together well. The sherbet might be the secret ingredient for approximating a julius......

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 12:39:41 AM PDT
Whale Tart says:
Hi Coldshot!
You need the Queen of Drinkies, CuriousCook.
She was the Twinkie Temple's Cocktail Shaker until her blog became a ful-ltime job. I am quite sure she will be able to help you, she is a really lovely person.
I cannot find da link to her Cocktail Reskipee Book, I just remember that she published all the cocktail recipes in a Kindle Book.
http://curiouscookinthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 12:40:00 AM PDT
Whale Tart says:

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 12:46:29 AM PDT
Whale Tart says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 6:28:18 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
They always had hot dogs. Hot dogs and drinks are their thing.

I think the juice mix came ready made.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 6:51:59 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
thanks tart, but it is NOT a cocktail, but a fresh made whole juice drink!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 6:53:01 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
Then that can't be it! I appreciate the effort tho! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 6:55:16 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
It may sound that way, however it was made fresh...like splitting open the coconuts and fresh whole pineapple....it was a mess, but the drinks were FANTASTIC!!!

How-ya-gonna beat fresh?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:05:56 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Don't know then. Sorry.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 11:38:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 11:39:15 PM PDT
Mattie says:
Sounds like one of the juices made at the Papaya King stand on 86th street and Third Avenue in Manhattan. Hubby and I grew up and lived for many years about 4 blocks away. That is hubbys first stop as soon as we visit the remaining son and rest of the relatives still living in NY. They make all the juices fresh but then put them in the dispensers behind the counter, years ago they made each one individually to order but gave that up as labor costs increased to keep up with demand and the popularity of the stand, I detest their hot dogs but hubby could eat them by the dozen with a few papaya drinks to go along with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 8:20:45 AM PDT
ColdShot says:
Ahhhhh....we are getting more of the story I was looking for.

A transition from freshly made, to prepared ahead to keep up with demand.

Thanks Mattie!

Maybe you can have hubby ask them what do they put in the drink besides , coconut, pineapple and ice cubes...like lime or anything else for flavoring? They might tell him since he is buying from them!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Jul 25, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions