Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

How long should a bread machine/bread maker last?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 3:25:29 PM PST
C Smith says:
I bought a bread machine almost 3 years ago. I have used it on and off usually in 6 month intervals - when I use it, I would make bread nearly daily - probably half the time I've owned it. But it has recently failed me in the last two loaves and I've tossed it out. Do I replace it with an expensive one and hope to own it a longer time? Do I try the same one again (it is under $50 now, but I paid $100 for it 3 years ago)?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:33:39 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/breadmaker

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:49:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 8:49:42 PM PST
GW™ says:
I use my Zojirushi Mini Breadmaker at least 3 times a week & had it for around 3 years.
I love it.

The larger model....Zojirushi Virtuoso Breadmaker (if you need a larger size loaf) is suppose to be even better.

Check out the reviews.
I'm sure there are lots of nice machines, but this brand is among the best in quality.
They also make wonderful rice makers.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 6:23:30 AM PST
My original Zojirushi lasted about 10 years. I loved that machine to death, literally. I debated between the new bakery supreme Zo or the panasonic sd-yd250 and ended up buying the panasonic, based on the reviews. I bought that one Dec 2008 and have used it at least twice a month, when I first got it I used it a lot more but I had a chance to get a zo at a base exchange closing sale (our base closed and they basically opened the exchange warehouse and put stuff half price or less, OMG the stuff I got!) but anyway, so I got it in 2010.

I hate it for baking bread, but I love it for mixing, it has the two paddles and it does an excellent job, so I actually use it more than the panasonic. I have some arthritis, some other medical issues, and it's hard for me to knead a good loaf anymore, so I've pretty much just given over to letting the machine do it. Both are going strong so far. When I want to do an entire loaf in the machine I go for the panasonic, for pure kneading it's the Zo.

A word about the mini baker Zo mentioned here. It's almost identical to my old Zo machine, only in miniature. If I didn't have four of us here I'd probably buy it for just Jim and myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:15:56 AM PST
Marlyn R. says:
I bake everything including breads of all types. (Been doing it for over 48 yrs). I tried bread machines but they weren't worth the time, effort or clean up. You get just one measly loaf (always the same wrong size) and the texture rarely varies. Instead, I strongly recommend you invest in a Kitchen Aid K45. It's a super dependable food processor that has no equal. My mom (90!) still uses her 1952 K45 along with her 'new' 600watt Kitchen aid (we got it for her for her 70th bd) on a daily basis. I got my K45 for my wedding 36 yrs ago & 5 yrs ago added a larger 600 watt model because I really needed the exra unit. Not a day goes by I'm not making something in it. Clean up is ultra fast & easy thanks to stainless steel bowls. It 's so easy to use my 2 yr old granddaughter can help her Mama Bear make everything from cookies to homemade Play-doh.

Why limit yourself to a machine that does just one thing? I can make up to 3 loaves of bread at once in my K45 Kitchen Aid, 5 in the 600 watt. It's super easy: warm your liquids (or use hot water from the faucet), put them into the mixer, add the yeast + 1Tbsp sugar & let it 'prove'. (This step canNOT be skipped regardless of how you make bread. If yeast doesn't begin to bubble & foam after 10 min. it's useless. Sure, it only happens once in a blue moon but that blue moon always occurs when you have something important going on. LOL)

After the yeast has shown it's good, simply throw in everything else. Put on the dough hook & set the machine to low (1-3). The unique counter-revolving motion not only mixes the ingredients it kneads the dough effortlessly. After the dough is smooth & elastic, remove the hook, smooth the ball of dough in the bowl, spray w/ cooking spray, cover & let rise in a warm spot til doubled in bulk. Then punch down the dough & get out your bread pans. Spray them w/ cooking spray. Divide the dough into the right number of loaves (or just one if that's what you're making). Lightly flour a cookie sheet & press/flatten the dough into a thick rectangle the same width as your pans. Butter lightly, & add extras like raisins, cinnamon, dates, almond paste, etc if you like. Roll up the dough tightly & pinch the ends. Lay the dough in the bread pans & let rise for 30-40 min. Bake per cookbook instructions. For crispy crust, brush with water before putting in the oven and at 5, 10 & 20 min into the baking. How simple is that? No special yeast, no oh, my! gotta put the butter just so..no fuss. Toss it in, turn it on, let it rise & bake. You can raise the dough overnight in the fridge if you want hot bread in the am or for super fast bread to serve place the dough in a glass or microwave safe dish & 'defrost' it for 15-20 min. The dough rises so fast you better have the oven ready to go! I do this when company calls at the last minute.

Now you can make your holiday cookies in no time. I made 11 different types of dough in under 3 hrs using my KA. (I'll bake them in batches over the next few days). Or make the BEST, lightest cakes ever, Wilton style! Use Duncan Hines SuperMoist (no pudding in the mix). Add the mix, 1/2 the water, the eggs & 1/2 the oil to the bowl & use the flat beater. Mix til moistened then whip to frosting consistency. Gently fold in the rest of the water on very slow speed. Pour into pans or cupcake holders. Bake as usual.

When our store has a BOGO meat sale I buy roasts etc, cut them into slices & grind them into fresh ground meat or turkey with VERY low fat content & no added water or byproducts. I use the KA to make up meatloaves & freeze them for future use, ready to bake.

So, why invest in a machine that only can do 1 thing (and that not too well). Get a Kitchen Aid and with very little work on your part you'll be making all types of wonderful breads in all sizes, shapes & flavors, plus any type of baked goods you can imagine. There are many sales where you can pick up a KA for really great prices. Check out Amazon, Ebay, and so forth too. This is the ONE appliance you buy 1x for life. No 'oh, it's 3 yrs old & it died' nonsense. About the only way to kill a KA is to drop it off the roof - and I'd bet it'd survive that, too.

Happy baking!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:53:32 AM PST
I love my KA also, but I also like the walk away factor of the bread machine. I don't find it hard to clean, in fact, I find it much less messy, toss in the ingredients, set to dough, leave. But I think if one has limited funds or space and only wants one machine I'd go with the KA too. I have the grinder, the sausage stuffer, the pasta roller, the ice cream bowl, it is such a work horse.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:28:13 AM PST
GW™ says:
Beck,
Because of my teeny tiny kitchen & the fact there are only TWO of us at home I purchased the Mini Zo...& loved it.

I had no idea about the bad rep the "Supreme" had until I started reading the reviews of the "Virtuoso"
& how it was a vast improvement over the former.

I think once a person tries a bread machine he/she will be sold on the joys of homemade bread.
It need not be an expensive one until the person is sold on the concept.

I found the Gluten Free Cycle on the Virtuoso to be especially interesting.
If I had the space I would take the plunge.
Heck......I STILL may!

A good bread machine gives ya more time to garden, right? =)
(Well, hobbling around on one knee & one hip is better than the alternative.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:35:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 10:24:07 AM PST
GW™ says:
I agree 100% with you Beck.
LOVE my 30some year old KA5 lift bowl too, but prefer the MiniZo for, like you say, for the "walk away" factor.
Plus it makes JUST the right amount of pizza dough for 4 personal pizzas.

Hey wait....did you say the ICE CREAM BOWL?????
I WANT, I WANT!!! (LOL)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 12:16:51 PM PST
The KA ice cream bowl is fab, you just store it in the freezer and there is a little paddle and adapter, that's it, no separate motor to have to store. Get the ben and Jerry's ice cream book and whip up the best cherry garcia or heath bar crunch ever!

KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment

Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 12:55:40 PM PST
GW™ says:
I'm writing my letter as we speak.....

Dear Santa,
I have been very good this year....=)

Thanks for the heads up on the B&J book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:14:28 PM PST
the only way the book could be better is if they had included chubby hubby, but the ice creams in it are good. Just a heads up, the bases are raw egg based. I have never had an issue, I buy those pasteurized ones at the store when I'm going to make ice cream, but in case it gives you the ick factor Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home is also really good and has a cornstarch base instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:07:49 PM PST
GW™ says:
Beck,
As long as gutting a fish isn't involved there is no" ick factor" on MY part. =)

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:21:02 PM PST
GW™ says:
Oh....btw, did you say you have the KA ravioli attachment?
I heard it was awkward to use so I only bought the regular pasta set with the cutting thingies. (no extruder)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:54:55 PM PST
I have just the sheet roller. I have a ton of cutters for my hand cranked machine and don't want to give them up, but it's the initial sheeting that tends to be a pain, and the KA rocks with that. I do have an extruder
Atlas Manual Pasta Extruder Regina - Made in Italy that I picked up at a garage sale like new, it works and is easy to use but it's not for your regular spaghetti and such. I also have a cavetelli machine that's a blast to use, thrift store find LOL. Most of my cutters and my two atlas roller machines are also from the thrift store. I think people fall in love with the idea of making pasta then a few tries later decide boxed is good enough :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 2:28:11 PM PST
GW™ says:
True.
I had an Atlas, but lost it to an EX.
No problemo tho....love the KA.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (849 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions