Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Crust & Crumb Help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 12:45:45 AM PST
Kevin d. says:
I'm new to baking and I'm confused about what I'm reading in this book. Can someone put me on the right track?

I think the first three master formulas, poolish, biga and pate fermentee are starters to be used to make breads. So when I got to french bread I expected one or the ingredients to be one of these three starters. I'm confused on how I use the starters in the formulas that follow.

Have I missed something in the opening pages?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 3:30:08 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:57:14 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:29:54 AM PST
Have you tried going to breadcetera.com ? You may find the info you're looking for there.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:03:59 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:57:15 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:05:54 AM PST
Kevin d. says:
Thanks. I kinda hoped a reader of this book figured it out or understood my confusion and could point out what I'm missing. I searched the web for help or discussions on the Crust and Crumb book and ended up here. Obviously a bad search.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 7:22:57 AM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
Sorry, I have bread maker's apprentice and bread every day, but not crust and crumb.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:10:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 8:13:11 AM PST
Kevin d. says:
Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers

I'm looking for help from other readers of the book Crust and Crumb. If you made it through the French breads maybe you could drop me an email at kkinderen@gmail.com.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:44:14 AM PST
K. Dzurny says:
Try the forum at kingarthurflour.com
They have extensive baking community. You'll have better chance of getting your questions answered there.
Be very specific when you ask. Even if they haven't read the book, they can look at your recipe in question and can give you advise accordingly.
You know that not all bread recipe uses starters?...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 12:46:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 2:34:48 PM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
Anyway, best of luck, hope you find your question answered.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 2:33:31 PM PST
Kevin d. says:
Thanks K. Dzurny. I'm feeling a little foolish but that was the answer. If I kept reading instead of being hung up on this I would have realized the first French bread doesn't use a starter but the next French bread recipe does. I imagine the intention is for comparison.

Becky: I am baking, cooking and buying on Amazon. Just that I'm not so good at the first two yet. I bought this book that I'm asking about here on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 2:34:35 PM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
I'm glad you found an answer.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions