Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Chinese food instead of Turkey for Thanksgiving

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 12:39:11 PM PST
Gomb says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:18:37 PM PST
MommaCat says:
Do want you like Splinker and stop trying to start a fight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:50:58 PM PST
Hans just make sure you feature some sweet and sour chicken and some vegetable chop suey and im on board wit ya!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:46:18 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
No. Turkey is fairly lean meat and traditional side dishes do not have to be made overly starchy or fatty. Mongolian beef is no more healthy than a properly roasted turkey and white rice ( what is "I bleached" rice, anyway) is as simple a starch as potatoes.

But you are under no obligation to eat a traditional turkey dinner that day. Eat what you like. I will be eating turkey and all the trimmings because I happen to love this one day tradition of getting together with family and friends to share our love for one another.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:17:17 PM PST
Well you are off on several things here. The original Thanksgiving, and Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving proclamation were more about giving thanks to our Creator and less about the actual food. Next, the term 'savages' is antiquated and is now deemed downright boorish. Third, your menu isn't all that healthy either. Fourth, eating whatever you want doesn't make one crazy or un-American.

Just do it. But don't pretend it's healthier. Or that you know anything about history.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 12:04:24 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
We give thanks for tofu.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:55:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 6:04:41 AM PST
Ahh yes those things are true , but I think Hans was just maybe being sarcastic...but back to a serious note on history, I find it quite interesting how Americans claim this land, when the natives already occupied the land...thousands of citizens who say to Hispanics to go back where you came from cause they believe that the English language should not be prominently shared with the hispanic language when if they themselves are not native, don't realize that their ancestors too came on a boat...how ironic but sad, all of these things is the pridefulness of man.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 6:54:31 AM PST
MommaCat says:
You guys, Splinker is here under one of his many trollish names. Don't egg him on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:06:01 AM PST
Thanks Mcat, seems like your able to identify splinkers egging ways, good looking out

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 11:38:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 11:38:46 AM PST
Gomb says:
Actually I do not have any other amazon accounts, please go crap on someone else's threads with your erroneous accusations. To the serious replies, thank you and I will think on all you have said. If some of you really think stuffing, gravy and pie are not any less healthy then chinese food, I would recommend revisiting the food pyramid of our youth:

MINI BULLTN FOOD PYRAMID/NUTRN

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 12:07:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 12:08:30 PM PST
Hans,

Greasy turkey is funny; how have you been cooking yours? That beef you are wanting is high in sugar and salt. I never fix mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving, but you maybe right that white rice is a just smidgen healthier than potatoes, but brown rice would be better, but I think a sweet potato trumps them both nutritionally. Just leave off the marshmellows.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 12:26:30 PM PST
Hans Gruber,
Chinese food is only healthier if you make it yourself rather than buying it. You are correct that a number of Americans will be overeating overly processed, sugary, and heavy foods on Thursday.

Please make sure if you overeat overly processed, sugary, heavy, take-out Chinese food on Thursday that the patting yourself on the back for doing it isn't the only exercise you get that day.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 12:52:32 PM PST
widowTink says:
I've had Chinese food on Thanksgiving, but only because the two of us were alone that year, I didn't feel like cooking and the chinese restaurant was the only place open. Because I am a picky eater I do not like most "traditional" thanksgiving foods. This year I'm making my own good veggie sides to go with my perfectly roasted turkey, no stuffing, no pies. Mashed potatoes will have a healthy dose of pureed cauliflower (I keep all kinds of veggie purees in my freezer all the time.) I even "hide" carrots, yams and avocado in my Chocolate Breakfast Fondue that my grandkids absolutely inhale while dipping fresh fruits and pretzels. Compared to my dinner, your chinese food will be mostly junk, won't it?

Don't think you are alone and superior in this world. Thanksgiving-Dinner-Nazi rants are not helpful and are insulting to many of us who try to eat healthier all the time and expect a vegetarian or vegan or two for holiday dinners. Those who choose the traditional fare will still be okay, we should all eat what we like and enjoy it because its THANKSGIVING, for cryin' out loud!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions