Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

microwave cooking

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2013 1:28:13 PM PST
justjess says:
I am live in a small studio apt with no stove or oven. Any tips that do not include heavily processed foods?

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:03:28 PM PST
When I lived similarly, I had an electric skillet. With careful balancing and planning, I could fix a 3-course meal without too much overlap.

For meats, you want premade burgers, chicken cutlets, easy-to-cook pieces, that will cook fast while you cook thinly-sliced veggies and starch in the other side.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 9:46:55 PM PST
GamblingJim says:
If you live near a Trader Joes they have some good microwave meals. I had the chicken enchiladas the other day very good...Stuffed bell peppers are also good

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 11:45:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 11:50:42 PM PST
A larger size toaster oven, a single burner induction unit, and a coffee maker might be all you need to do you fine. And a tiny microwave for reheating those Trader Joes' finds (although most of them could be prepared on the induction unit or oven).

An electric skillet is a good idea also.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:42:08 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:26:53 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Think about an electronic rice cooker. They don't take up a lot of room, but they are incredibly versatile and do so much more than plain rice. You can make one-pot meals in them.

Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Premium White

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:39:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 1:46:20 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
A crock pot can cook all the meals you need for one. Grains, legumes, root vegetables and cruciferous vegetables can be tasty and highly nutritious.

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-cooking/vegetarian-crockpot-slowcooker.php

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:06:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 6:09:25 PM PST
Grandma says:
Get yourself a small crock pot and a good toaster oven. I saw one at Walmart for less than $100 (quite a bit less) that even has a built in rotisserie. With a bit of looking you can find broiler pans, cookie sheets and even muffin tins that will fit the toaster oven.

Even though you CAN cook everything in a Crockpot, it all becomes the same after awhile and unless you have a couple of them you'll eat the same one thing all day long. Personally, I find meat that comes out of a microwave to have a funny "off" flavor and the lack of color is unappetizing to me.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:45:30 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 7:50:25 PM PST
She said that?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:49:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 8:50:07 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:41:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:22:39 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:44:18 PM PST
Grandma says:
I've lived in several very small apartments and hotel rooms over the years and have never once been forbidden to bring in something like a crockpot or toaster oven along with the computer and the XBox. In fact, the ONLY time I have seen this sort of restriction is in boarding houses and college dormitories.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:39:47 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Seen that too, Grandma. The college dorm wouldn't even OK a percolator. Made sense in that the wiring was absurdly puny. That's why I suggested a crock pot, as it would likely be the lowest peak wattage [but therefore slow] cooker, less peak wattage than even a small microwave.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:48:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 11:55:59 AM PST
MommaCat says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:48:39 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
Not all studio apartments are that tiny or bare. Some even have small kitchens. What you're describing sounds more like an old-fashioned English "bed-sit" than a studio apartment.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 12:59:48 PM PST
we live in a 2000 5th wheel trailer with a sharp carousel with convection and a top vent model r-1850a is this model the right one for me ??? mike

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:08:29 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Could you be a little more specific as to what your needs are? Impossible to provide an opinion otherwise.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 10:33:16 PM PST
Hani H. says:
I suggest reading this page. It has a lot of good information. Good luck!

http://www.nichepage.com/n/kitchenware/best-countertop-microwaves
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (849 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions