Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Kitchen Computer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2012 9:49:47 AM PST
I would like to be able to read my kindle cookbooks in color, look up recipes on the internet, and order groceries on line. Does anyone know of an inexpensive device I can do this on? I have considered the Fire, but apparently it's "clunky" to type on.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 3:32:20 PM PST
Carrie O. says:
I'd suggest going down to Target or BestBuy and checking out the Fire yourself. I find it no more clunky to type on that any touch screen... I downloaded a few cookbooks to it and love it! I also used it in the kitchen this Christmas. Had it propped up with a blog up that had a recipe that I wanted to try.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 3:38:04 PM PST
tonyS says:
You can send the docs directly to your Fire with their software that is free, and downloadable directly to your computer. Or, you can email the pdf directly to your Fire.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 5:42:47 AM PST
Grandma says:
My daughters got together and bought me an iPad for Christmas - and of course there is a Kindle app for iPad AND my favorite recipe database program has an app version that interfaces with the one on my computer. All of my knitting directions are safely stashed in pdfs in iBooks. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth every penny and maybe then some. Not so small I can't type on it either.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 5:43:52 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 16, 2012 4:44:10 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 9:25:37 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
I use an iPad2. It is a fabulous cook's companion in the kitchen. I now have many dozens of cookbooks and cooking magazines on it and it makes it so easy to read and follow a recipe.

But it's not inexpensive, alas. But for me it's worth every penny.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 9:28:17 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
Like Grandma said!

I have this absolutely wonderful recipe app on it called "Recipe Box" which is one of the best of its kind. Not only can you write up your own recipes, but you can copy and paste from nearly any web site or cooking magazine on Zinio into the app. It makes filing and searching for them easy-peazy. And I love the layout -- very, very easy to read. And you can also print them and share them with others through email and twitter.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:04:50 AM PST
Unfortunately the ipad doesn't fit my current budget. I've been looking up various tablets here on Amazon. Right now I'm considering getting an old laptop repaired. If I find it will cost more then a fire to repair, I'll try the fire, if I return that I'll start saving for a Galaxy vista. Thank you all for your replies.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 7:57:49 AM PST
Carlgo says:
Don't overlook earlier iPad models, or used ones. People update, but for kitchen use the earliest models are far more than good enough. Also, they have those ultra clever optional cases that protect it and allow it to be propped up. And even the first generation models are perfectly capable of doing most anything that most people do, so you can use it away from the kitchen as well.

iPads have great resale value and if they work, they are good. An actual laptop is far more complex and could have issues, but you are pretty safe buying an iPad you can just play with for a minute.

Other brands work as well, put iPads are far and away the most popular for a reason. The Kindles are also good, if not quite as nice

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 10:00:54 AM PST
Try the Pandigital Super Nova. I use mine all the time, it is half the price of a ipad.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 12:34:30 PM PST
I'm using the Lenovo K1 tablet because of the large screen size - 10 inch - that I can see across my small kitchen. We will be making a holder that attaches to a cupboard door so that it's out of the way and I don't spill anything on it. Because of it, I've gotten hooked on the Kindle books. :) and all the recipe books available here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 8:14:39 PM PST
lacunae says:
Unless you're set on getting a tablet, I'd suggest buying a cheap laptop/notebook computer. (You can get a used/refurbished core2duo powered notebook for <$200) It will have a real keyboard (use a keyboard skin/cover if you'll be typing with dirty hands), it will be faster and more flexible for your internet searching than a comparably priced tablet, and it will also have a larger screen (the cheapest notebooks tend to have 14"-15" screens). You can Install Kindle Reader for PC (free) to read your cookbooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 10:29:30 PM PST
Grandma says:
I must respectfully disagree with you. A cheap notebook is just exactly that. It will have a life expectancy of about a year and no resale value. Far too big and heavy to fit in a pocketbook or backpack. Needs to be recharged far more often. Virtually all the software must be purchased. An iPad or some other tablet comes with most things you will need and there are thousands of free apps. A notebook cannot be mounted on the wall or cupboard door. On an iPad you literally flick between apps with the stroke of a couple of fingers. It is small enough that I can hold it to read just as I would any other book. Even here in the wilds of Vermont I cannot complain about the speed. It is, after all, more than plenty fast enough to stream movies, live TV or Serius radio. My games tell me when they need attention, my magazine and newspaper subscriptions let me know when they have arrived and it checks all my email accounts at once. If it isn't quite as fast as my full sized computer at searching the intenet - and I have frankly not noticed much of a difference - I don't spend hours searching the Internet and that is what I have a full sized machine for. The full sized machine does not fit in my pocketbook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 3:53:03 AM PST
Well that's my first option. I found someone who is willing to see if he can repair my old laptop free. I just have to get it to him. I have Kindle for PC on my desktop computor, but that's upstairs, and there is no space for it downstairs.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 3:57:45 AM PST
Okay, I guess "inexpensive" is something different to everyone. The Fire, at $200 is at the top of my price range for this non-necessity. Thank you for all the suggestins though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 4:19:58 AM PST
Hello, I got my Pandigital SuperNova at Best Buy for $169

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 5:01:20 AM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Seems like that $200 might more enjoyably spent on good ingredients, and recipes can be printed out easily enough elsewhere. If you lived in my town I might suggest a group that's been "helping the needy get nerdy" for a few years by teaching computer repair, thus helping reuse machines that might otherwise wind up in the dump.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 5:57:56 AM PST
Sounds like you got a good deal :) I'll look there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 6:09:16 AM PST
Thank you for your concern, but my food budget is fine. My toy/entertainment budget has taken a few hits lately though. I like being able to pay off the credit cards every month, so I have 2 options. 1. Wait for the savings account to go back up. 2. Look for an alternative I can get right now. That means more research. Who knows, by the time I decide which cheaper option I want, the savings may be back up enought to get the more expensive item. lol

My old laptop is being sent off to see if it can be fixed. If so, then my query is solved. If not, I'm no worse off then I was before.

I am currently running up and downstairs to check the pantry when I order groceries, and when I want to print out a recipe upstairs to use downstairs. There is no room to put the desktop computer downstairs, unless I do a major reorganization of the rooms. This always makes DH grumpy, as he can't find anything, walks into furniture, and wants to know why I'm always changing things. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 6:09:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 6:10:39 AM PST
Pandigital Super Nova On sale at Best Buy now for $179.99 and do be sure to get the smudge proof invisible shield, so if you get any splatters on it, you will not damage the screen.

This is a 8" screen, good size for the kitchen. You of course can also look here on Amazon and see if there are any new ones available, watch out for any used ones, I would not want to purchase one that has been refurbished, just my thought.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 8:05:54 AM PST
Carlgo says:
Ow, contrary (French). Refurbs are great! Nobody fixes these things. Well, maybe something like an iPad, but the off-brands are either good or just thrown away. Mostly just returns for reasons other than not working. Good as new, cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 10:47:50 AM PST
Grandma says:
Then consider the Fire. It won't do quite as many things as an iPad will, but it will certainly do most of them. And it is even smaller and lighter. We got one of my daughters one of these because she was sick unto death of hauling a mountain of textbooks back and forth to London while she finishes an advanced degree.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 11:14:57 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 5, 2013 10:22:13 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 2:36:41 PM PST
lacunae says:
And I'd (respectfully) disagree with you based on what the OP asked for (the thread title is "kitchen computer"). Portability or the ability to run on battery power wasn't mentioned at all. I thought about asking if they had an LCD tv in the kitchen (to hook up a small computer/internet device to), but an old notebook seemed easier than assuming the existence of a tv.

Yes, an iPad (with a keyboard/stand) is a perfect device for this application (and I use one for this), but it is NOT an inexpensive device (for most people), and if portability isn't needed, then a plugged-in notebook computer will do the tasks mentioned in the OP just as well or better. There are also free software options for all of the tasks mentioned (Kindle, OpenOffice, Chrome/Firefox, email clients, etc). Also, for me, the iPad screen is about the smallest size I'd want to use for reading/searching for recipes -- especially if you're trying to cook from the recipe. The 7" screen on a kindle fire would probably require more scrolling or getting much closer to the screen to read, and without bluetooth, you can't use a wireless keyboard with the fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 4:10:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 4:13:24 PM PST
Grandma says:
Perhaps you don't actually do much cooking lacunae. No keyboard is required to use an iPad - particularly if you are using it to cook from in a kitchen. I've found the built in touch pad keyboard on mine perfectly adequate, even for fairly lengthy posts. And I am a touch typist - been typing for more than 50 years. You just turn the thing sideways and the keyboard isn't much smaller than my wireless keyboard for my full sized computer. The screen size is fine, even for my old eyes, and turned sideways the print does not even need to be magnified.

I read the OP post as wanting recommendations for being able to take computing power into the kitchen - recipes, grocery lists, maintaining a pantry list and so forth. For these purposes Open Office is NOT required. Both iPad and Kindle Fire come with a built in browser if you need such a thing. Email is accessible for virtually any tablet. What IS required is a small footprint or, even better, the ability to mount the device on a cupboard or fridge door at eye level, a recipe database such as Now You're Cooking or YummySoup! to store and organize recipes, & access to your digital cookbooks. Really nice additions if you happen to have a model with a built in camera are the ability to make a pantry contents list simply by using the camera to read the bar codes and an app to maintain a grocery list.

Sure,you can make a notebook do some of these things but not as cheaply or as efficiently as you can a tablet device. And you cannot easily haul ANY computer, even a Netbook, to the grocery store in your pocketbook the way you can a tablet.

So, for $200 you can buy a Netbook, which is essentially a tablet sized computer, or a Kindle Fire. For about $500, give or take, you can buy a new low end notebook computer or an iPad. Used notebook computers are generally not worth buying and invariably cost as much or more to replace as it does to buy a replacement.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa92f6abc)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions