Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Clever use for coffee press

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 11:02:15 AM PST
I saw this online and thought it was a good idea. When soaking and re-hydrating dried mushrooms or peppers it's often hard to keep the dried items submerged. Put the dried ingredients and hot/boiling water in a large coffee press and press down the plunger and there you go:)

I love this idea, it gives me more uses for my coffee press and a good way to hydrate mushrooms or soak dried tomatoes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:36:15 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
nice!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:39:30 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
An even better way is to put dried mushrooms or sun-dried tomatoes in a little liquid and nuke them in the microwave for one minute.

My only problem for the use of the coffee press you suggest, is the coffee taste never entirely gets cleaned out of the press screens. So unless you buy a press to only use to hydrate these things, I think there would be a transference of the coffee flavor.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:27:10 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Good excuse to buy a second or third press. We clean our coffee screen and its frame [all-stainless Frieling brand] in simmering soda solution every month or so when it has become gross. Clean as new again in ten minutes, with almost no brushing. Probably not a good idea for plastic screens/frames.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:36:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 3:37:15 PM PST
We have an excess of coffee presses, I keep picking them up on sale :) We have a bodum I like, and a large mr coffee I don't, so I use the Mr coffee

Several of my recipes also give a specified amount of water and soaking time because you use the water also, for the broth

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:45:38 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Yes, I use the water, as well, to add to the broth or sauce.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:57:14 AM PST
L. Villa says:
Good tip on the coffee press additional use thing. If you use the mushroom liquid as well the filter screens out most of the grit from rehydration. Thank you!
You know for cleaning and removing the coffee taste in the press you could also use a little bit of powdered Oxyclean and pour boiling water in it and submerge the entire press. Once it sits for a bit, it's entirely clean. All you need is to rinse very well and re-use for whatever.
I've used this technique for cleaning out old Thermoses that were so heavily stained with coffee or tea that other people would normally dump them unless they were collectible. The interior usually comes out like brand new.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:33:32 AM PST
good tip. I have a heavily stained old stanley thermos I don't want to get rid of, I will try that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:14:58 PM PST
Whale Tart says:
I don't think that we have Oxyclean here in South Africa, I will check it out. I have always used vinegar with great success.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:49:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 2:50:49 PM PST
L. Villa says:
To Whale Tart:

Oxyclean is a concentrated version of Hydrogen Peroxide (usually 8-10% solution here in USA for oral hygiene or as a disinfectant instead of isopropyl or ethyl alcohol). You could get a higher concentration solution if it's available there or you can soak the stained item for longer periods of time in whatever concentration you have there.

Vinegar is great for general cleaning in most everything (except stuff like marble, silk fabrics and other delicate stuff). Aside from being a natural de-calcifier (regular use is removing lime/calcium deposits in shower heads and cleaning clogged coffee machines ) as well.

I'm allergic to mold and break out in hives if there's any in a house or hotel room or in toilets/bathrooms.

And bleach doesn't quite work for me as it damages a lot of items when used for cleaning.

Distilled vinegar and water sprayed onto carpets, tile floors, walls and such kill the mold and spores.

Big pluses here is that it's very economical and the smell disipates quickly. And since the vinegar (about 5-8% acidity) is only a weak acid-- further weakened by adding water (anywhere from 1/4 c./gallon to however strong you want it to be)-- no major damage is done to most surfaces. (And you should test on hidden corners first anyway just in case there is a special treatment done to anything you're 'de-molding'.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 9:45:09 AM PST
Whale Tart says:
Thanx for the feedback. I am very interested in you being allergic to mould and breaking out into hives, please tell me more. My youngest child has major skin allergies, I always thought that she was highly allergic until our doctor explained to me that all her allergies are topical i.e. hives and rashes. She even gets a vicious rash from the sun! I live in a house that is definitely mould and mildew free but we lived in a house on the sea for 8 years, moved early this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 7:48:12 AM PST
L. Villa says:
To Whale Tart:

Sorry I only found your post today. Will answer as best I can.

In previous situations, I have found out that mold and mildew free isn't exactly true when places are old and/or renovated. I once stayed in a townhouse that had even had a 'special cleaning' by a company that was supposed to be good at their job. The whole family had allergies and they still had lots of colds and coughing spells. I broke out in hives the 2nd night I stayed over.

When I checked the house out, I found ourt they had an unfinished basement that had part of it still with dirt walls and access to the outside by a small window that allowed rainwater to seep through. (This was in NYC). Also the duct work was not completely replaced when renovated so old equipment was still in place connected to brand new duct work and so forth.

what I did was to use a humidifier an a solution of 1 1/2 c. white vinegar to the 1.25 gallon tank and run it full blast in the basement for a number of days. The basement was literally 'dripping' with its walls getting the fine mist of vinegar water all over the place.

And since the ductwork circulated the air from the basement to the other floors, the acidified air spread all over the house.

I have to be honest and say that I ruined that humidifier but I believe I got rid of the mold and mildew as I stopped having hive breakouts after a week or so of this. And the children had less breakouts of colds and stuff.

Then I just made sure as well that the other people who cleaned the house used vinegar water for mopping whenever they could.

Now I do not pretend to be adoctor but i have to ask if maybe your child is allergic as well to certain spores or pollen in the area you are in now?

Reason why I am asking is that when I went and stayed in Oahu, Hawaii for awhile, I developed this persistent throat itch/cough that I thought was just a cold. I took Theraflu for a week and then asked the pharmacist what else she could recommend as the Theraflu did not work.

Thank goodness for smart pharmacists! She asked if it might not be an allergy instead and not a cold. I had not even considered it as I am not allergic to most Eastern seaboard pollen. But I was in the western hemisphere in an environment with completely different pollen and spores in the air.

I switched to an anti-histamine and the cough stopped.

Taken from that, there is a slight possibility that your having stayed so long at a different location may have had her immune system geared just to that location. Her body may be trying to adjust to the new stuff in the environment. She may take a long time to adjust and you may have to depend on antihistamines for awhile. Just don't forget to switch antihistamines as her body will get used to just 1 kind and the effects will be muted till she just doesn't respond to it anymore.

Hope this helps you out.

I have 3 diff. kinds in my emergency med cabinet--all OTC as i do not like getting too dependent on medication. I also take low dosages as I like to let my body build up its own defense system.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 6:56:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 6:58:01 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
http://inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/CleanUpMold.htm

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:07:09 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
My beloved French Press developed a hairline crack in the carafe this morning. I pressed down the plunger and coffee squirted out of the side of the glass. Oh, boy!

I found this one on Amazon and ordered it. I like the fact that it has a secondary filter in the lid to remove the few ground that get through the primary filter.
GROSCHE MADRID Premium french Press Coffee and Tea maker, 1 liter 34 fl. oz capacity

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 7:25:18 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
This one likely won't crack:

Frieling Polished Stainless French Press

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:03:46 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Thanks, but sometimes I only fill itup halfway, and I like the glass carafe because I can see the water level.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (843 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions