Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

Found a new cookbook

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 229 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:13:05 PM PST
Grandma says:
Have you thought of going with something like Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food. This is one of my all time favorite cookbooks, particularly the disc of techniques that it comes with which starts at how to put on your apron and continues through just about everything you can imagine.

A neat "go with" would be Pepin's biography - The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen. Pepin started as an apprentice chef at just 14, so there is quite a bit in this book for a budding teen chef.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:09:22 PM PST
Grandma says:
Ah - OK. I've seen those Sam Stern books once or twice. I would pay very close attention to this 2-star review:

2.0 out of 5 stars For VERY YOUNG teens, August 20, 2006
By
B. Bowen (Florida) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Cooking Up a Storm: The Teen Survival Cookbook (Paperback)
Very simplistic recipes. I saw Today show feature of tuna with wasabi and thought this book offered more creative recipes. Do not purchase for any child over 13.

I'm leery of anything with words like "survival" in the title - at least not for a serious cook of any age.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:05:51 PM PST
Grandma says:
The other cookbook for that age group that I recommend is Emeril's Emeril's There's a Chef in My World!: Recipes That Take You Places, Just Duckie.

When I went to buy cookbooks for my granddaughter a few years back I could not make up my mind between these two and so bought them both. She has used them nearly to shreds. Emeril's book is heavy on decent recipes for things that nearly all young people love to eat, some of which is adventurous, and the other is heavier on technique and recipes for things that are more adventerous but still the sort of thing teens find attractive. Neither is heavy on junk.

I'm not familiar with Sam Stern but will go look right now.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:01:47 PM PST
Just Duckie says:
My faorite Cookbook: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of American Cooking
I've used and loved this copy for nearly 30 years. I use the Breads section more than anything else.
I need to find a new more modern cookbook but just haven't really been focused. I think I will be looking for standard American recipes but maybe updated with a 'flair of some kind.' Although I'm not into very adventurous recipes, more because I have very little time to cook.
I don't really dwell on nightly dinners so maybe a slow cooker book might be helpful.

I'm looking forward to reading more on this thread. Very interesting and hope to get to meet more of you!

Got to Dash -
-jd

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:55:27 PM PST
Just Duckie says:
Grandma,

I see. Umm.. this might work. Thanks! Although I will need another one to accompany this book because it isn't expensive enough on its own. But at this price I can easily add one or two more if I can find exactly what I think I'm looking for.

Do you have an opinion on Sam Stern Cookbooks? I've never heard of him until I began my search. Wondering if these are popular with the inbetweeners?

Best,
- jd

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:52:56 PM PST
Just Duckie says:
Thank you for your suggestions.
However, I do believe these two offers are a bit young for this budding chef.
If you run across anything else that might be of interest, do not hesitate to shout it out!

All the Best,
- jd
p.s. I'll get around to my own cookbook at a time when I have more time. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:37:05 PM PST
Grandma says:
One of my favorites for more advanced but still teen cooks is The International Cookbook for Kids. There are lots of techniques like making stock from scratch and a fantastic (and unusual) selection of recipes from French, Italian, Mexican and Chinese cuisines.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:29:29 PM PST
Just Duckie;
I would check out the Better Homes & Gardens Junior Cookbook or the Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls. I have given both to my 8 year old granddaugther and she LOVES them.

Betty Crockers Cookbook for Boys and Girls
Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cookbook

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:24:03 PM PST
Just Duckie says:
Hello to Everyone -
I am new to this forum. I have a serious question!
I am looking for a good cookbook for an intermediate chef. (Teen) but has been around the kitchen since he was about 8yrs.
Should include few standard recipes, possibly methods, tips, etc. Maybe few photos.

Anybody have an idea?
Note: [Limited] time to follow up with buying a cookbook and sending it as a gift!

Thanks and Looking forward to your ideas.
- jd

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:57:10 AM PST
Grandma says:
Here are a couple more -

Real Vegetarian Thai $1.99

Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking $2.51

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:51:08 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
I also bought Canal House Cooking Volume No. 5: The Good Life, which was $1.99 in Kindle. I enjoy reading the stories in their cookbooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:44:38 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
Ha! That one, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:44:23 AM PST
S. Kessler says:
I bought that last week on an earlier sale.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:48:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:49:16 AM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
The Pickled Pantry: From Apples to Zucchini, 150 Recipes for Pickles, Relishes, Chutneys & More I bought this one too but haven't cooked from it yet. Another Chesman for 2.51

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:58:51 AM PST
Grandma says:
Also China Moon Cookbook is on sale for $2.51 today. This one is really good.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:56:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:56:49 AM PST
Grandma says:
Here's another one with great reviews and a great price - also $2.51

The Olive and the Caper: Adventures in Greek Cooking

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:20:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 6:11:36 AM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
andrea chesman is really good, I have this one on kindle from a prior sale, and I have her "roasted vegetables" in hard back.

I had canceled my Pepin after getting it from the library, then it was offered on cyber monday for 4.99 so I snatched it up.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:08:50 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
I found this book, Recipes from the Root Cellar, on Kindle today for a whopping $2.51! It's a true steal. 250 recipes for all sorts of vegetable-based dishes, even ones with some meat or seafood, but mainly vegetables, and not only root vegetables. The recipes are very approachable, many are international, and some are true classics. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3ARecipes+from+the+root+cellar&keywords=Recipes+from+the+root+cellar&ie=UTF8

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 12:14:45 PM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
No no no, I do not need any new cookbooks. Bookcloseouts is having 50% off their already discounted prices, I am trying to ignore the canal house cookbooks, the brisket cookbook, wahhhhhh....

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:09:23 AM PDT
Becky (NOLA) says:
I just pre ordered Jaques Pepin's new cookbook Jacques Pépin New Complete Techniques

The book club I belong to had a 12.99 sale. I had la technique and la methode and both were great but the black and white pictures were a little lacking. I can't wait to see what the new updated version has:)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 1:48:21 PM PDT
widowTink says:
Sooooo................where's the 50 Shades of Chocolate?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 3:16:50 AM PDT
Love the cover Ben. Love the title, very clever. However, you should never review your own book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 8:36:33 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I coud do the Amazon scold thing and tell you it's against posting rules to flaunt your own book, but the title and book description did crack me up.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 8:01:09 PM PDT
Ben says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 8:40:56 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
This is a terrific cookbook for vegetable side dishes that I got yesterday on Kindle. Read through all the recipes and they all sound doable and yummy.

Fast, Fresh, and Green
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  229
Initial post:  Jul 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions