Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Cooking forum

What do you think of cookery books on Kindle? Egyptian cookery book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2011 12:11:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 23, 2011 5:56:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 10:25:52 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Kindle books read on the iPad show color pictures. I buy lots of Kindle cookbooks, but I only use them now on my iPad's Kindle App. The really look great on the iPad and are easier to navigate through than they are on the Kindle itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 10:21:41 PM PDT
V. Strickler says:
You need to delete your post. Amazon doesn't want authors posting about their ebooks on the Kindle forum. Go to Meet Our Authors forum instead and post your posting there. Good luck with your ebook.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 11:35:11 PM PDT
hard to quickly flip between pages on a Kindle or tablet, much prefer my cookbooks on paper (also because it's far better to use a photocopy of a recipe in the kitchen as compared to an expensive book or device that will get dirty or worse there).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 5:42:21 AM PDT
I prefer proper paper cookbooks. A lot nicer to look through and more natural.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 5:54:30 AM PDT
NewYorker says:
I just read the reviews for the cookbook, Everything Soups, Stews and Chili. One reviewer wrote that there are no illustrations with the Kindle version. Also said there are no page breaks between recipes and no index. Does not sound very user-friendly to me. I would like to hear of other experiences with Kindle version cookbooks. I think I would still prefer the old fashioned paper-bound cookbooks, especially with illustrations.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 6:27:40 AM PDT
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't know I shouldn't have posted about it here, assumed as it's a cookery book, albeit a Kindle one, I could discuss it in a cookery forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 7:32:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2011 7:33:03 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
NewYorker, I have lots of Kindle edition cookbooks. And my experience is you generally get what you pay for (not always, but the vast majority of the time). I used to complain a lot about formatting and returned at least two fairly pricey Kindle cookbooks to Amazon because of lack of formatting. But I've seen a tremendous increase in the sophistication of the formatting of ebook cookbooks and now buy them regularly. But again, you generally get what you pay for. The self-published, inexpensive ones almost always lack internal links in tables of contents and indices. They are fairly useless in Kindle form. But most of the ones I have bought now from the big publishers by well-known chefs and cookbook authors are increasingly well formatted, with fully linked TOCs and indices as well as links between recipes that go together. Plus, if you view them on an iPad or other tablet as I do the photography and illustrations are beautiful, easy to see, and can be made to fill the page with an open pinch.

One of the real advantages to having kindle edition cookbooks is being able to peruse them for recipes for that night's supper while I commute home on the train. Or to just read them.

They are not all perfect, and I get annoyed with ones that do not have links in their indices, but, again, you get what you pay for, and when you purchase ones from the big publishers they are now going to the trouble of formatting them very well, indeed.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 7:33:46 AM PDT
ej25-techie says:
well, now lets see what the amazon Wire looks like for cookbooks...I want to be able to do global searches thru indices of all the cookbooks I have downloaded, not book by book. Then I'll try it. (I have downloaded 1 cookbook, just to see.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 8:52:29 AM PDT
Weird, I deleted this thread on Sept 23rd and it says deleted at the top. So how come it's still here?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 11:00:26 AM PDT
Kay Shepherd says:
You deleted your post, not the thread. Not sure if you can?

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 3:21:28 PM PDT
Julie A. Low says:
Everything Soups, Stews and Chili was free on the Barnes and Noble nook, and it looks great on the color nook which came out last year!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 10:08:10 PM PDT
"One of the real advantages to having kindle edition cookbooks is being able to peruse them for recipes for that night's supper while I commute home on the train. Or to just read them."

That's why I decided to purchase the printed version of the only Kindle cookbook I own now.
Use the Kindle version on the road, maybe even in the store when selecting ingredients, then use the paper version in the kitchen (or copied pages out of it).
Your reply to J. T. Wenting's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 11:49:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2011 11:50:33 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
J. T. Wenting's post:
Use the Kindle version on the road, maybe even in the store when selecting ingredients, then use the paper version in the kitchen (or copied pages out of it).

SK: I use the iPad in the Kitchen. Works much better than a paper cookbook. I always have a problem with paper cookbooks flopping closed on me. The recipe on the lighted iPad screen is so much easier to read.

And while I'm very careful to make sure my index finger is clean before I try to turn a page on the iPad, the iPad is a lot easier to clean than a paper book if I do inadvertantly get some schmootz on the screen.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Cooking forum (874 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Cooking forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Sep 17, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 10, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions